homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » Please read

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Please read
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted October 26, 2007 01:32      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't have permission to quote this, so I'm not going to say who sent the message to me or what the name is that I deleted.

Meanwhile, I barely visit GC anymore. Even deleted the bookmark to the site. The mean spiritedness exhibited by [deleted] and others just got to be too much of a downer for me.

It's odd, but my observation is that the same spirit is infecting other sites that I once regularly visited. I believe the arrogance of the main players in our political system spills into the populace during election cycles. How sad that nothing can be discussed generally without a lot of name-calling and ad hominem attacks.

The next time you're about to post something insulting toward someone, even if you think that insult is deserved, think about what effect you're having.

I've been guilty of mean spiritedness in the past, but I saw the effect I was having on the general tone of the forums and I've made an effort to stop regardless of whether I thought my comments were justified. I'd like to think that others here care about the forums and can put forth just as much effort.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2007 03:48      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steen ______________________ I have to agree with you that the world has become a very mean place, it always was but it seems we are turning on each other more than before.

When did this happen, a few years back, I believe it began with political talk radio, then the shrinks on the radio, and then even more talk radio. Some of those talk radio people are flat out mean to the callers.

Is it a symtom of our society falling apart, and does it include the whole world? Maybe mass news is the cause because we can see terrible events as they unfold? Maybe we have reached critical mass on how densely we can pack people on this orb?

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2007 06:17      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for posting that, Steen. I'm not sure whether I look back on my early days at GC with rose-tinted glasses, but it really does seem as if it was a more welcoming and open community when I arrived.

Having said that, though, I still think it's far superior to all other communities I have found on the web. I'd hazard a guess that this group has far more bright, articulate and clear-thinking minds in it than many others. If what has happened at GC is symptomatic of the current political climate, then I am merely thankful that it's not far, far worse.

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2007 07:22      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steen ____________________ How do we control the vitrol? Censorship, blocking, or just fail to respond to some people and their posts. I am pleased that there is a rant forum and we do need one. maybe we can ask Snaggy to come up with an emoticon that would show what topic a givin post is from. I use the fifteen freshest topics as my way in, and there is no clue as to the forum the post was made. Some people just want to be mean and some get very upset when they think that they are not being taken seriously.

It can't be all hot cocoa and donuts, but how do we make it better?

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted October 26, 2007 08:25      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for that Steen. [Smile]

Of course we've always had some mean-spiritedness around, (trolls VS normals, Mac VS PC, anti gay, anti women, etc,) but it definitely reached new levels over the past couple years, and of course that is the spillover from the events of the last few years. I do think the Forum has been nicer the past month or so, and I really appreciate the effort people are making to control their anger/temper/troll responding. The only way we can change ourselves, or the world, is if we actually try.

Of course, as time moves on, we are all getting older here, and getting grumpier and grumpier, as that is the nature of our species. [Wink]

Peebs is the exception of course. [Smile]

There is a Forum feature I could activate to allow people to flag posts as offensive, (meaning I'm notified that someone finds them offensive). I'm not sure if that would make a difference or serve as a deterrent, or just drive me crazy, you can let me know. If anything is really offensive, most of you know to drop me a line anyway.

I'm not sure if creating the Politics/Religion/Current Affairs Forum was a good idea or not. I think it gave people a bigger excuse to behave badly and fanned some flames. But it's not like we are children here, is it? We are adults, sitting around in our underwear, and we can control ourselves if we want to.

As you all know, I'm a practicer of a hands-off method of developing this Forum eco-system. I believe by encouraging intellegent conversation, rewarding it with Forum Tidbits, and pruning only when necessary, the community will find its balance.

And when it doesn't, I can alway deploy the Jace Raven Throat Puncher™. [Razz]

It saddens me to hear that some have left for various reasons, saddest of all is that they have given up hope on the community. I hate to think what will happen to the state of the world today if all the intelligent, caring people give up hope. But I also realize that change is a natural thing, and can be a really healthy thing for the individuals involved.

We have so many brilliant and funny and caring and interesting people here. I'm very proud of this family.

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2007 09:43      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
We are adults, sitting around in our underwear, and we can control ourselves if we want to.

You mean I should wear underwear at the computer???

Geez I go and get all dressed up for nothing.

Now what am I supposed to do with this leather codpiece?

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2007 11:05      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A little while back, I was considering leaving myself. I'm glad that the environment here is improving.

I've also noticed that the problem with political discussions becoming less civil isn't unique to these forums. It seems like a number of people have taken after the particularly disgusting media personalities out there.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2007 12:04      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I first came here I was ridiculed for my posts and my apparent youthfulness. As well several other members were treated the same. Some left but some stayed around. It is good to see that this doesn’t really happen anymore - which is good.

I’ve also learned to just stay away from the political topics. And if a topic is becoming infected by political views I just stop reading it.

Some people don't mind arguing politics and other things, but I prefer not to, since my life is hectic enough. So I stay away from it and I think others should as well, if they know they will get upset by what is said.

I think this place would be very boring if everyone just agreed with everyone else. So I like the creative differences – just not when the topic is politics, war, etc.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2007 16:42      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snaggy ________________ I may be talking out my sitter downer but would it be possible in the freshest topics & freshest post page to have this forum print in red:Politics/Religion/Current Affairs then people that are put off by the vitrol will know not to go there.

I enter via a bookmark to the freshest topics page, and some times via freshest post page, works for me so I am guessing that others may be doing the same.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2007 18:24      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
Snaggy ________________ I may be talking out my sitter downer but would it be possible in the freshest topics & freshest post page to have this forum print in red:Politics/Religion/Current Affairs then people that are put off by the vitrol will know not to go there.

I don't know. I don't see why we have to have vitriol in political discussions at all, at least not towards each other or all members of a political party (political figures are fair game, within reason, IMO).

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2007 18:41      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:

Of course, as time moves on, we are all getting older here, and getting grumpier and grumpier, as that is the nature of our species. [Wink]

Peebs is the exception of course. [Smile]

Sweet! I'm not getting older! [Big Grin] [thumbsup]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture