homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » Stardust

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Stardust
chromatic
Geek
Member # 164

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted August 01, 2007 10:34      Profile for chromatic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My brother and sister-in-law managed to get me a pass to a screening of Stardust last night. If you're a Neil Gaiman fan, you might remember that he and Charles Vess wrote a comic of the same name about ten years ago, and then Gaiman turned it into a short novel.

I've seen LXG, so I had some trepidation... but the movie works. It was great!

It reminds me of The Princess Bride in a lot of good ways; it's a simple fairy tale with lots of action, a few surprises, some magic, and a simplicity of story.

It stands on its own very well, too. The story seems simple, but it's unique and very pretty. I hate to say more, lest I spoil any of the surprise for anyone.

There is a bit of violence (though no blood), so it might be intense for children under 10 (maybe 12). Otherwise, I recommend it for anyone.

(Also, I won a media promo kit for knowing that Tori Amos is a tree.)

Posts: 223 | From: Squeaky First Geek House | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 01, 2007 13:27      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oops, you used HTML instead of UBB Code to post that link. Here it is, fixed:

Stardust

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3851 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
chromatic
Geek
Member # 164

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 01, 2007 13:49      Profile for chromatic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whoops, thanks!
Posts: 223 | From: Squeaky First Geek House | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted August 01, 2007 14:43      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read that book, it was pretty cool. I can see it lending itself to a movie. I didn't know there was a comic before, but that probably makes it easier, since it's also a visual medium.

An After Y2K movie would be cool.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture