homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » That kind of day...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: That kind of day...
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted June 22, 2007 08:02      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you ever have the kind of day wherein nothing hugely terrible happens, but a bunch of little things conspire to put you in the foulest mood known to man? Today is one such day. I hope my fellow members will bear with me as I recount all the things that have gone wrong:

- My house is a filth-pit because my housemate (the one who ignores us all and hides in his room) has left a pile of moldy dishes in the kitchen, and muddy sandals in the lounge.

-Said housemate also left the bath so filled with muck and what I think must be pubes that I had to spray-clean it rigourously just to avoid throwing up when I looked at it.

-No one bought any sugar. I had to go to Somerfield in my wet jeans to buy some so I could have a cup of tea to calm myself down. While there I ping-ponged through no less than four checkout queues just to get served, it was that busy.

-The most promising queue then got delayed because three giggly thirteen year olds who were skipping school were trying to buy some chocolate but were 4 pence short. The cashier, instead of just shrugging her shoulders and letting them leave (as I, and most other retail employees would do over a matter of 4p) made them stand there rooting through their obviously penniless bags until I got so pissed off I gave them 4p out of my own pocket, just to get rid of them.

-I bought a copy of The Times so I could do the quick crossword (the proper one is rather over my head, I'm afraid). But, GRARR, the times2 supplement is missing, so there is no crossword! And The Times is normally such a rubbish paper that I can't even get any useful information out of the rest of it.

-I get home, only to find that I forgot to check for milk, and there is no milk left for my tea. I'm the only one who ever buys it, and everyone else uses it up.

ROOAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRR!!! [Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

*deep breath*

There. That feels somewhat better. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going back to bed to eat doughnuts and hide.

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 22, 2007 08:06      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
poor poor thing. we've all had those days and horrible housemates. [Frown]
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted June 22, 2007 08:12      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Poor Skylar! I feel for you! Next time, scream and get that insensitive* housemate do the clean-up - get a whip if need be. Then go take your tea in a nice tea house - just don't forget to have a good novel with you, and let the bad feelings go away by themselves. (Oh, and put a sticky note on the milk and sugar: "Bought by Skylar, pay her 5 pennies everytime you use it.")

Ah well, at least you have friends you can complain to over here! (Come more often - we miss you!)

*edited - I knew something was wrong with "sensitiveless", but I just woke up on it [Embarrassed] - it's going to be a slow day... I wish I could have taken the day off!

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
skylar
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted June 22, 2007 08:13      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by business attire:
poor poor thing. we've all had those days and horrible housemates. [Frown]

Thanks, ba ... solidarity in the matter of demon housemates is much appreciated. I wish I could trade him in for his slice of the rental deposit [evil]

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

skylar
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 22, 2007 08:16      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stereo:
Then go take your tea in a nice tea house - just don't forget to have a good novel with you, and let the bad feelings go away by themselves. (Oh, and put a sticky note on the milk and sugar: "Bought by Skylar, pay her 5 pennies everytime you use it.")

Now that is an excellent idea [Big Grin] ... I've actually already got a hidden stash of spare tea-bags in my room that no one knows about, so I can survive if those hooligans I live with devour my entire 'public' store of tea [Wink]

quote:
Ah well, at least you have friends you can complain to over here! (Come more often - we miss you!)
Aww, thanks, Stereo [Smile] ... way to make a girl feel better on a crappy day [Big Grin] ... reminds me why I should spend more time round these parts...

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 22, 2007 08:21      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah, we do miss you. you're the best at girl talking!
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 22, 2007 08:27      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think somebody needs a hug. [Wink] [evil]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6530 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
skylar
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 22, 2007 08:33      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
spungo, you just did outdid yourself in the creepiness factor... it just goes to show, simplicity can yield the greatest results [Wink] [Applause]

Ooh, hang on a minute... I can't decide whether this is creepier than the time you said you liked Corinne Bailey Rae [Eek!]

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 22, 2007 08:51      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by skylar:
I can't decide whether this is creepier than the time you said you liked Corinne Bailey Rae [Eek!]

Yeah, but when I said like her, I meant I'd like to find out what her insides look like. [Smile]

--------------------

stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 22, 2007 11:58      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lol at least you aren't in the middle of exams. [Frown]

But me sends *virtual* hug to Skylar to calm her down.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted June 22, 2007 13:40      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Skylar - If it were practicable, I'd pop round and give your filthy housemate a hosing down in the yard with whatever commercially available sheep-dip I am able to obtain. [Wink]

I've tried to think of what positives there may be in this unpleasant scenario on which you could focus. (I realise how that sounds, but I just can't end a sentence with a preposition!) All I can come up with is the thought that... at least he is still taking baths [Razz] [Big Grin]

Maybe you should advertise for someone who needs to escape from a similar stinkpot of a housemate, and then you could go off and share a nice clean place together????

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 22, 2007 20:02      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Put your housemate's moldy dishes in his room. Same with his muddy sandals. Next time you buy milk, write your name and the date of purchase on it and draw a skull and crossbones. Hang huge "your mother doesn't work here" signs in the kitchen and the bath. If none of this gets the point across, it is time to throw an all out hissy fit. Find an Australian to teach you some really colorful language - I've heard a rumor that Aussies are good like that. [Wink]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 22, 2007 22:09      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Flamin' struth we are. I just don't have the assault rifle to back it up. [evil]

I want to find out what they really said...

--------------------
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Posts: 606 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted June 22, 2007 22:13      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As you consider labeling things and writing notes, allow me to offer this link for inspiration:

http://www.passiveaggressivenotes.com

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
skylar
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 23, 2007 04:46      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the sympathies and suggestions, everyone... said housemate is possibly the spawn of Satan... just this morning I also discovered he'd shattered my favourite blue-dragon cereal bowl and attempted to hide the wreckage [Mad] ... I have pointedly created a large pile of his crap and placed it outside his door so that his lazy arse can't get out of his bedroom without doing something about it [evil]

In other news, however, I do believe the well-wishes sent me way by you lovely people have paid off... I found out I got a job at Paperchase (a lovely stationery/geek accessory store) that I really really wanted/needed. So yaaaaaaay and thanks heaps, everyone [Big Grin]

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 23, 2007 06:03      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Way!! Well done! Paperchase, huh? Wow. I've always had a thing for stationery... (when the other kids were playing with their GI Joes, I was messing about with ring binders and staplers...sad, I know).

[Smile] [Applause] [Applause]

--------------------

skylar
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 23, 2007 06:40      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It paid off for ya, though... now you know the value of a good stapler as a torturing device [Cool] ... and with my 50% discount I'm sure I'll be finding out soon enough, too [evil]

And thanks, btw [Big Grin]

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 23, 2007 07:14      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If all else fails, buy a lock for your bedroom door and a personal sized icebox. And lock it all up in your room.

Then proceed to build an Armageddon stockpile.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2472 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted June 23, 2007 07:17      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by skylar:
It paid off for ya, though... now you know the value of a good stapler as a torturing device [Cool]

Let's not forget finger stuck in the closing rings of a binder, or the ever favorite paper cut. (And for more impressive results, there's nothing like a nice, heavy but well-balanced pen, thrown with mighty rage - it doesn't even have to hit to be effective.) [evil]

Congrats on the job! [Applause]

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted June 24, 2007 02:09      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CommanderShroom:
If all else fails, buy a lock for your bedroom door and a personal sized icebox. And lock it all up in your room.

That would have been my first suggestion!

One of those little dorm fridges would keep your milk cold and a cupboard for tea, sugar, candies and anything else likely to get pillaged.

Though (congratulations on the job!) if it's a while before you can afford it, a short term solution for the milk is a well insulated cooler (what do you call them?) If you freeze water in a durable plastic bottle or jug* and then put the cap on, it will keep it cold and not leak water all over. I do it for picnics and it works pretty well. It might be a viable way to keep a small stash of milk or cream in your room for the short term. And then you can see just how long it takes them to realize that someone else has to buy milk. (And when they come asking, you can say "oh, sorry, I just ran out!")

*Just don't forget the properties of water when it freezes and adjust filling your container appropriately.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Infinitesimal
Geek
Member # 4865

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 25, 2007 03:00      Profile for Infinitesimal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
Australian to teach you some really colorful language - I've heard a rumor that Aussies are good like that. [Wink]

We sure are, amoung other things.
We also have the ability to shout OI in a way that will make most people sit up and pay attention.

[evil]

Posts: 153 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture