homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » I don't like your boyfriend (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: I don't like your boyfriend
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted June 07, 2007 01:22      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Well, I did notice, and wonder why, but really CBA to point it out. [Razz]

LOL. Same here.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
mephisto

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 666

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 07, 2007 22:11      Profile for mephisto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most annoying song ever! like what was she thinking. like you know that's really annoying.
Ugh. She sounds like a sweet valley high blonde.

--------------------
"Liberate tutame exinferis."

Reedius
Mini Geek
Member # 7130

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted June 09, 2007 16:11      Profile for Reedius     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now that i see, the lyrics do suck but i'm not impressed, these wanna-be musicians nowadays are all a bunch of crap.
Pink floyd, the beach boys, the beatles, the velvet underground,etc those a great musicians!

--------------------
Geek or Nerd?

Posts: 55 | From: aveiro, portugual | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
[..Eternal-Lullaby..]
Maximum Newbie
Member # 8957

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted June 17, 2007 16:40      Profile for [..Eternal-Lullaby..]   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Reedius:
Now that i see, the lyrics do suck but i'm not impressed, these wanna-be musicians nowadays are all a bunch of crap.
Pink floyd, the beach boys, the beatles, the velvet underground,etc those a great musicians!

Although I do like most of the " modern day pop scene " I am a BIG hunge fan of old stuff as well, ACDC, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, KISS, Ozzy, Beatles, Beach Boys, Queen etc.

Where did all the good stuff go?!?!

I was born into the wrong era as I also have a great passion for old R&H musicals [Big Grin]

Avril Lavigne I'm not too fussed about, shame about her going blonde...why does everyone seem to love being a sheep these days...hmmm

Damn you Paris Hilton!

Posts: 18 | From: Ellesmere Port | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 17, 2007 18:02      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mephisto:
Most annoying song ever! like what was she thinking. like you know that's really annoying.
Ugh. She sounds like a sweet valley high blonde.

And of course the obligatory lyrics...

On Ventura, there she goes
She just bought some bitchin' clothes
Tosses her head n flips her hair
She got a whole bunch of nothin' in there

Never did give her much time. Heard the first album and thought, "well she is very middle of the road."

Kinda ruins my theory that you have to be absolutely brilliant or absolute shite to make it in music...

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted June 17, 2007 21:34      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by boo:
Well I liked several of the songs off her first album and thought they showed a strong talent and a fair amount of depth for someone so young. But then I found out she had a writing partner. [Roll Eyes] A much older, more experienced, writing partner, lol.

Avril Lavigne has talent? I think I'm about to die laughing. You just killed me, you murderer! [Razz]

Now here's some real talent.

Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 18, 2007 08:33      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ugh! Ze I thought I knew you?

Cryptopsy? Decapitated please?

Or maybe you've started listening to Forever in Terror and Anterior...

You make me sick, I'm going to make Ze cookies.

zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted June 18, 2007 09:32      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well hey, I never said I was really into that sort of music, but you have to admit it, she does have talent. As far as Ayreon goes, I'll take The Universal Migrator, thank you very much [Smile]
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 18, 2007 20:30      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pink Floyd and the Beatles aren't old, but the real old stuff is much better than all that.. You need to go back to the neo-romantic era to get to the really good stuff. The music of the Baroque era, Romantic Era and Neo-Romantic Era are 1000x better. You can, however keep the Classical era, as Mozart and his contemporaries are just fluff compared to the "passionate and powerful immortal thunder" of Beethoven.

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 19, 2007 09:42      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Every era has winners and losers. You're just not hearing all the absolute crap that came out in the classical/medieval and baroque periods [Big Grin] (I have heard some HORRID baroque stuff)

Of course, the difference between Corporate Giants controlling music and Emperors and Monarchs controlling music? You get a say with the corps [Smile]

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 19, 2007 10:13      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quality is all a matter of personal perspective. Floyd ranks high in my top five favorite artists, but not necessarily because they have intelligent things to say:
quote:
I've got a bike
You can ride it if you like
It's got a basket
a bell that rings
and things to make it look good

I feel so enlightened now [Wink]

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 07, 2007 08:44      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bibo:
I heard her perform it on Saturday Night Live and knew I had heard the song before, Lush sings a song called "I Wanna Be Your Girlfriend" on the 1996 album "Topolino" the credits on the song are "Dunbar/Gargwer" and I believe the entire album is cover tunes. The lyrics are are a little different on the Avril version but the tune is the same. I wonder who is credited on her album.

And now she's being sued by the writers of the song!

Associated Press
Article Launched: 07/06/2007 12:28:05 PM PDT

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Avril Lavigne faces a lawsuit by the members of a 1970s rock band who claim her hit song "Girlfriend" rips off one of their tunes.
Songwriters Tommy Dunbar and James Gangwer alleged in a lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court that Lavigne and her co-writers lifted their 1979 song "I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend," which was originally performed by new wave band The Rubinoos.

"We are not so naive as to chalk it up to some sort of cosmic coincidence," Dunbar said Thursday. "The lyric, the meter, the rhythm — they're identical."

The first court date has been set for Aug. 28 in Oakland.

A spokeswoman for Lavigne declined to comment.

Videos comparing Lavigne's song with the Rubinoos' tune were among the most popular on YouTube Friday. Nearly half a million people had watched various clips highlighting the similarities between the songs.

The lawsuit is not the first mention of the similarities between the songs. Music critic Stephen Thomas Erlewine, in a review published on Billboard magazine's Web site, noted that the chorus of "Girlfriend" was a "total lift from the Rubinoos' 'I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend.'"

The Rubinoos toured and recorded from 1975 to 1983 and had a hit with a cover version of Tommy James and the Shondells' "I Think We're Alone Now." They also wrote the theme song for the movie "Revenge of the Nerds."

If you go to iTunes and search "Rubinoos" you can hear a clip from the song "I wanna be your boyfriend". And this is the song Lush covered as "I wanna be your girlfriend" (and gave proper credit to).

Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted July 07, 2007 09:58      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3rZEuR242Y

my humble verdict... Hey Hey No way, Avril didn't steal it.

/me sends in the cheerleaders to sue them both.

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted July 07, 2007 10:34      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FraPFM2LkM

Musicians have a long history of using bits and pieces, intentionally or otherwise, from songs they've heard. That's how musical genres come into being.

It's sad that we've built a society that is so greedy and litigious that it's starting to destroy the acts of creation that it once fostered.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 07, 2007 16:50      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's one of the lamest lawsuits ever. 2 people fighting over an unimaginative and unpleasant hook?

Good grief.

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted July 07, 2007 20:15      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My former law of mass communications professor, Clay Calvert, would have a field day with the prosecution on this case. There's a heck of legal precedent out there for Dunbar and Gangwer to win their case. Avril should've paid attention to what happened to Janet Jackson, Vanilla Ice, the Verve, and others. They all got their butts kicked in court (and many settled out of court in favor of the songwriters). For a concise summary of some of the big cases, see this.

However, it is acceptable use to parody a song. Roy Orbison sued 2 Live Crew for ripping off "Pretty Woman," but the rap group's attorneys successfully argued that the song was just a parody and the court bought it. That was in 1989, and is the case my friends in Apologetix cite in the liners of their Christian parody CDs.

EDIT: Aww, dude! That illegal art site has some awesome stuff on it. For example, this: DeCSS code to break the copy protection on DVDs turned into art in order to disseminate it and the argument/court case surrounding the controversy.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture