homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » Is momentum growing finally for switchers?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is momentum growing finally for switchers?
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 01, 2007 19:14      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When Apple ran its switcher campaign I never had great hopes for it as the main factor that creates the inertia keeping you on your current platform is the enormous investment in both cash and accumulated expertise that you have in your current OS and software library. However now that Macs have Intel processors, and can run Windows either under Parallels Workstation or using Boot Camp, that hurdle is less important, so I was wondering if any of you have noticed more people inclined to give the Mac a try? I write this because my brother-in-law's family have recently come over from "the dark side", and I think they must be quite typical of a fairly large swathe of people out there, pretty technically literate people, though not enough so to dive into linux, and until this year an all Windows family, so Apple's adoption of the Intel chip was what shifted them. If they are typical this next year could be a very interesting one.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 02, 2007 03:49      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Callipygous___________________I do believe that the program is winning some converts. The Doctor the Mrs's and I go to was an avid Win/tel fan and just before the Macs on Intel conversion bought a high end Mac tower. He still runs his office on Win/tel but is slowly converting his office help and trying to find replacement programs for the office to do what the Pc's did. His claim "I pay too much for IT service for poor software and buggy software".

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
JulioC
Geek
Member # 4370

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2007 16:15      Profile for JulioC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many already have switched, take for example the creator of the pvp webcomic, the second the Macpro's were running Intel and Bootcamp was released, he got one. Not only that, but TIME actually said that the best Win XP notebook is the Macpro. CNET had a few game reviews where the game was being played with windows running on a Macpro.

And with the Macpro's price 400 bucks cheaper than the nearest competitor's price at its launch, its no wonder its outselling the G5's initial sales, and Intel, unlike IBM, can keep up with the demand.

Posts: 182 | From: Brazil | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted January 04, 2007 19:31      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think this new operating system for M$ is a horrible strategic marketing blunder.

This pales in comarison to "New Coke."

A huge barrier to entry for many individuals swithcing to Mac has been the need to switch software. Now M$ seems to require that, plus a big computer upgrade.

Mac makes things easier with Intel and dual booting.

Gates has gone on to giving away his billions, now the people left to run his company are giving away the store.

Jobs & Company are going to eat this up.

Colonel Panic

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture