homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » "Fix my internet"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "Fix my internet"
supergoo

SuperFan!
Member # 2280

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 27, 2006 00:07      Profile for supergoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who else here hates these three words?

--------------------
Y los sueños, sueños son.

Posts: 675 | From: Boston 'burbs | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 27, 2006 00:19      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it Internet Cleaning Day already ?
Where does the time go?

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 27, 2006 00:30      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always heard it phased as "the internet is down"

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 27, 2006 06:23      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My grandmother called yesterday hysterical, saying something like "her new computer drank her Java and now she can't get her Pogo. What's wrong with the Internet?"

Well, it turns out she doesn't have Internet service where she's staying right now. In fact, she doesn't even have phone service yet. When she gets phone service, she can dial up, but, as she puts it, "it's not really the Internet; it's the phone".

When we mentioned clicking the start button to get to the shutdown screen, she started looking for a physical button on the system, despite having used Windows long enough to have clicked that button thousands of times.

To top it off, my grandfather gets on the phone afterwards and mentions how great my grandmother is with computers and how everyone at the center asks her for computer advice.

Then again, this same grandmother installed a PCI modem on her own, so maybe I don't give her enough credit.

Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 27, 2006 07:45      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Metasquares _______ yeah you should give her more credit. Because most ppl will just look funny at you when you start even talking about a pci modem.

Yeah i hate those terms "Fix my internet", It usually means trying to find out what the isp has changed and how to fix it. I personally like how a couple of months ago our part of the country has been forced to use our area codes so they can have more #'s. Most ppl don't realize that as well as dialling three extra #'s before making a call they also have to add those three #'s to the phone # their pc calls to get on the web. So in the past months i've been forced to hide a big grin whenever i see a local company trying to conect to the internet using a dial up connection. And i wonder if they are going to spend the 50 bucks to get some guy to fix it in two seconds or are they like metasquares grandmother and fix it themselves.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted December 27, 2006 09:03      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish someone would fix my internet.

Start by getting rid of the spammers that send me ~500 messages a day telling me which stocks to buy or what product they have that might make my penis larger. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 27, 2006 11:09      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by supergoo:
Who else here hates these three words?

Funny...I've never heard those words. I guess I'm kind of selective about my clients, and I'm pretty sure other folks know better than to ask me such a question. I'm think that if such words were uttered to me, I'd laugh hysterically. [Big Grin]

Metasquare: "Start menu" stuff - fun fun. The other day, I asked someone to tell me if they were running Win2k or WinXP. I told them to click the Start menu, and read the text on the left. (Nevermind the fact that just about anyone /should/ know which OS they're using.) This became a 3 minute process in which I had to hand-hold them to the n-th degree, and finally they 'got it.' By now, I've forgotten which OS they were running. [Razz] While composing this, I realized that maybe Ctrl-Alt-Del would be easier, although it might scare them more. [Wink]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Luke Skywalker
Assimilated
Member # 3096

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 27, 2006 14:16      Profile for Luke Skywalker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
I wish someone would fix my internet.

Start by getting rid of the spammers that send me ~500 messages a day telling me which stocks to buy or what product they have that might make my penis larger. [Roll Eyes]

A friend of mine actually wrote this back to a spammer (he not no response back, and at the time didnt know that its a bad idea to write them back...
quote:

Your promises of a "magic stick", implying enchanted staves or other similar polearm weapons, were not delivered upon, and instead you offered penile supplements, further insulting my honour by implying that I have a small penis. I therefore challenge you to a duel to the death. You may choose the time and place of your downfall.

--------------------
Use the Force, Luke.

Posts: 406 | From: The Line Between Time and Space | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture