homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » I Found Geek Heaven

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I Found Geek Heaven
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 25, 2006 21:14      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Went to this place a few weeks ago in Annapolis Royal, NS. Just a small museum, but full of many items from yesteryear - old Sinclairs, VIC 20s, and many older things that predate even me. If one finds oneself in Nova Scotia, this is where a geek must venture...

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted September 25, 2006 21:34      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There for a moment I thought there was a man with a ewe in my basement.

Welcome to this side of the pond.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 25, 2006 23:03      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
1 Kenbak belongs to a person in Tennessee that wants to remain annonymus
Steen?? [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
BooBooKitty

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 26, 2006 09:50      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Coooool! Reminds me of the Computer Museum in Boston. I haven't been there in ages, so I haven't a clue if they've added much to their collection or exhibits. :-)
Posts: 796 | From: Montreal, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 26, 2006 10:43      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BooBooKitty:
Coooool! Reminds me of the Computer Museum in Boston. I haven't been there in ages, so I haven't a clue if they've added much to their collection or exhibits. :-)

I believe it's all but closed. The old location certainly is, and I was quite disappointed by that fact some time ago. The one I was to years ago was very cool, with a computer exhibit you could walk through (and on, IIRC).

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 26, 2006 10:46      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh wow this takes me back. To the "REAL" orginal oregon trail.

{edited}
 -

So this pic is leeched from some other poor saps web page. My first computer. Ahhhhh.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted September 26, 2006 12:53      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, Ashitaka, I don't remember Oregon Trail looking quite so much like a bandwidth-leech notice... [Roll Eyes]
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 26, 2006 13:04      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Demosthenes:
Wow, Ashitaka, I don't remember Oregon Trail looking quite so much like a bandwidth-leech notice... [Roll Eyes]

That's because you have your browser transmitting the referer. [sic] [Wink]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
AgingAmigaoid
Mini Geek
Member # 764

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 26, 2006 15:26      Profile for AgingAmigaoid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
quote:

I believe it's all but closed. The old location certainly is, and I was quite disappointed by that fact some time ago. The one I was to years ago was very cool, with a computer exhibit you could walk through (and on, IIRC).
Boston's Museum closed but its collection was transfered to the Computer History Museum in Mountain View California.

The New Museum is a work in progress but worth a visit, especially for one of its speaker series events since I find the stories so much more interesting than the machines (The recent celebration of the PDP-1 is worth the download.)

If you are planning a trip to the West Coast then you can try planning around the Vintage Computer Festival 11/4-11/5 2006 at the Museum.

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted September 26, 2006 23:17      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
Went to this place a few weeks ago in Annapolis Royal, NS.

Cool beans, I grew up in the Annapolis Valley, Greenwood to be exact.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 27, 2006 05:31      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<Crocodile-Dundee-voice>
That's not a vintage computer, THIS is a vintage computer
</Crocodile-Dundee-voice>

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Moe Monkey
Geek
Member # 1900

Icon 1 posted September 28, 2006 14:07      Profile for Moe Monkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hunh. We were in Annapolis Royal a few times this summer (mother-in-law runs a restaurant there!), but I didn't know about the museum. I'm not sure my wife would have tolerated a visit, anyway, but next summer... [Wink]
Posts: 145 | From: The couch in the living room | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
BooBooKitty

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 28, 2006 17:59      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AgingAmigaoid:
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
quote:

Boston's Museum closed but its collection was transfered to the Computer History Museum in Mountain View California.

The New Museum is a work in progress but worth a visit, especially for one of its speaker series events since I find the stories so much more interesting than the machines (The recent celebration of the PDP-1 is worth the download.)

If you are planning a trip to the West Coast then you can try planning around the Vintage Computer Festival 11/4-11/5 2006 at the Museum.

Awwwww!!! :-( Dat sux...Oh well.. next time I happen to be on the left coast...
Posts: 796 | From: Montreal, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Tim Russell
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 5825

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 03, 2006 10:36      Profile for Tim Russell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool I found that place a couple of years ago when I was down home for a visit. I live in Chicagoland but I grew up in the town of Kentville in the valley.
Posts: 1 | From: Chicago | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture