homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » I love my HD football (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: I love my HD football
splitpeasoup
Mini Geek
Member # 3497

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 18, 2006 10:57      Profile for splitpeasoup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last Sunday was the first day I watched an NFL game in glorious HDTV. If you’re a fan and you’re HD ready, I highly recommend the superfan package from directv (more info: www.heybuttercup.com ). It’s cliché, I know, but it really does feel like they’re playing in my living room. I can’t believe I haven’t been able to do this yet, I’ve been watching them regular on my 72” screen… so stupid. Anyone else have that package?
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 18, 2006 11:23      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you a spammer?
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 18, 2006 11:41      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think splitpeasoup is, indeed, a spammer. Looking at his "recent posts" I see lots of links for napster, and lots of commercial-oriented links in general.... hrm... the data seems to back up the claim.

TAKE OFF HOSER!

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2338 | From: Southeast Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted September 18, 2006 12:37      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MacManKrisK:
I think splitpeasoup is, indeed, a spammer. Looking at his "recent posts" I see lots of links for napster, and lots of commercial-oriented links in general.... hrm... the data seems to back up the claim.

TAKE OFF HOSER!

<grammar-nazi>
'Data' is plural. 'Datum' is singular.

"these data seem to back up the claim."
</grammar-nazi>

Somebody please trout me. Hard.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

SpazGirl
Assimilated
Member # 4915

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 18, 2006 13:03      Profile for SpazGirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gladly...

/me trouts nwnf hard per his request

Posts: 465 | From: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 18, 2006 13:10      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
These rice have worms in it.
The rice has worms in it.

Both seem correct to me.

The data also seems correct.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3093 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 18, 2006 14:52      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
besides the spamming part of the post. I do wish now for the oppertunity to watch hd. But at last i still have a crt tv. Maybe I will deside to get one before the new year.

Why do you even have a 72" tv? I would be happier with a tv anywhere from 42" to 65".

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 18, 2006 14:55      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is the second spammer topic posted this evening. Are you employed by guerillaPR splitpeasoup?

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted September 18, 2006 19:31      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The package the spammer is writing about is part of a bait-and-switch program I experienced with DirecTV and NFL Sunday Ticket.

I purchased my HDTV in part with a rebate on an HD promotion by DirecTV. At the time I also purchased NFL Sunday Ticket and repeatedly asked if the whole package price included NFL HDTV. I was assured it did. And found nothing stating the contrary.

I paid my bill, and on the billing date, I received a notice I had to pay another $100 to upgrade to HDTV. Used to be HDTV was part of the package, but DirecTV discovered they could engage in this kind of tactic in order to squeeze more money out of customers.

It was an outrage. I'm not surprised DirecTV is resorting to this kind of tactic.

Colonel Panic

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 18, 2006 23:22      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd already figured that splitpeasoup is probably a spammer, but she has put enough effort into posting in order to seem real, so I'm willing to tolerate it, myself. As long as she doesn't turn as annoying as tyler/ribbit, why not just let things go on?

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
maybe.logic
Alpha Geek
Member # 5014

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 19, 2006 02:08      Profile for maybe.logic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that Ricky Gervais, Simpsons episode, had some serious HD spam going on [Razz] ...

If anyone happened to see it [ohwell]

Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 19, 2006 02:15      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sxeptomaniac:
I'd already figured that splitpeasoup is probably a spammer, but she has put enough effort into posting in order to seem real, so I'm willing to tolerate it, myself. As long as she doesn't turn as annoying as tyler/ribbit, why not just let things go on?

We all want this to remain an open and tolerant forum, not a little private club, and I completely agree with Snaggy that new members here should be given a lot of time and tolerance to let them find their feet. Spammers however are a different, as they are don't contribute anything, and don't wan't to either. I also find the dishonest nature of their trade offensive.

I think this place is rather like a bar, that you might call into on the way home from work for a beer and to talk crap for 30 minutes or so. It's a public space and occasionally you might get some sales people there promoting some new drink, and while I don't need that, I'll tolerate it, because they are upfront about what they do. But these spammers are like someone who sidles up to my barstool, and while pretending to be just another customer, and pretending to be interested in my boring babble, is actually trying to sell to me, or otherwise influence my behaviour. In other words he's a con man. I would find it much more acceptable if splitpeasoup, (who I suspect is either another identity of Tyler Allen or one of his co-workers) was upfront about what he was doing, particularly if it was in it's own forum, and Snaggy and Nitro got some monetary benefit too, but as it is he's just a parasite and leech.

So I favour banning these lowlifes, as soon as they are outed.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 19, 2006 04:37      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:
So I favour banning these lowlifes, as soon as they are outed.

Sadly, they'd just pop up again tomorrow under a different alias.

I share your opinion of 'guerilla marketers' Calli, they're dishonest lowlife scum and a complete waste of skin, but I don't think banning them will work. How about something a little nastier, like an email to the spammers client, saying we don't appreciate their marketing methods, and will boycott their product. There's a handy contact page here

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10699 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 19, 2006 08:10      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
But these spammers are like someone who sidles up to my barstool, and while pretending to be just another customer, and pretending to be interested in my boring babble, is actually trying to sell to me, or otherwise influence my behaviour. In other words he's a con man.

Although that's a viable analogy, I prefer to think that they're more like the Chewly's Gum salesman from Clerks.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2338 | From: Southeast Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 19, 2006 08:21      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
someone who sidles up to my barstool, and while pretending to be just another customer, and pretending to be interested in my boring babble, is actually trying to sell to me, or otherwise influence my behaviour. In other words he's a con man.

*Sidle, sidle, sidle* Say Calli, can I buy you a beer? And by the way, how do you feel about garlic, arrrrrrrgh? [Big Grin]

(Sorry. Could not control the urge.)

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted September 19, 2006 10:34      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I looked through a bunch of splitpeasoup's posts and, while a couple could pass as advertisements and there were a bunch of comedy bits from napster (some of which were pretty funny as I recall), most don't seem like spam and there's not really a pattern the way there is with most forum spammers.

I think splitpeasoup is either a real poster who happens to have posted a few links that could be interpreted as spam or the best one I've ever seen.

I say we give the benefit of the doubt here, because, if it is spam, it's at least being done well and not as an annoying interruption into other topics the way tyler/ribbit did it.

That said, I do have say the whole concept of a woman going nuts over HD football is a bit unusual.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 19, 2006 11:36      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, but the problem is, then the referer logs of all these sites start to show up GC as an easy target, and then we get more and more of these spammers showing up.
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
splitpeasoup
Mini Geek
Member # 3497

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 19, 2006 14:59      Profile for splitpeasoup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:

I think splitpeasoup is either a real poster who happens to have posted a few links that could be interpreted as spam or the best one I've ever seen.

That said, I do have say the whole concept of a woman going nuts over HD football is a bit unusual.

Well, I'm not sure what to say. Thank you?

You know, there are women who like HD. We also like football, gaming, and computers. It must suck to live in a world that is so rigidly defined by gender. Hope some of you boys like shopping, deep emotional conversations, and romance.

I'm not a spammer.

If anyone else has the Superfan package, how much did you pay for it including sundayticket? I paid $149 and I was told it's $249.

maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted September 19, 2006 16:23      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Big Grin] You are so a spammer!
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted September 19, 2006 16:27      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
splitpeasoup:
Considering that I'm the -only- person who spoke up and said you didn't appear to be a spammer and should be given the benefit of the doubt, it's a bit odd that I'm the one you replied to.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 19, 2006 18:17      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with Calli in so far as I look on this thing we call the GC community much like a Pub (bar as most of the rest of you would know it) people come and people go. Some are long time regulars, some just short time drop ins. Occasionally a salesperson drops in touting their wares - fair enough, and sometimes a sleazy conartist slinks in pretending to be a casual punter trying to tempt the customers with their dodgy "get rich quick" scams.

splitpeasoup does not strike me as a sleazy conartist... Tyler/Ribbit and some others whose names I have erased from memory were glaringly obvious and rubbish at their attempts sell us their scams/multiple saddo peronalities etc.

If splitpeasoup is a spammer and has been rumbled they will fade away and if not then we will gain much and lose little by cutting a bit of slack.

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1938 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 19, 2006 18:57      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But that's how the problem grows... we become noticed as an easy target, thanks to people clicking the links and sending referer headers. Then more spammers come along, and sign up, and start posting topics that make them look vulnerable or attractive and which happen to contain links.
splitpeasoup
Mini Geek
Member # 3497

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 20, 2006 11:54      Profile for splitpeasoup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
splitpeasoup:
Considering that I'm the -only- person who spoke up and said you didn't appear to be a spammer and should be given the benefit of the doubt, it's a bit odd that I'm the one you replied to.

Why would I reply to people who attack me? Of course I'm going to reply to the only person that supports me. Put yourself in my shoes for a moment. Would a real poster be likely to come back after this attack? Would a spammer sit here spending their time arguing about this without being paid for whatever it is they are paid for? Overanalysis doesn't lead to any clearer answer, and since no one trusts me I have no way to prove my innocence.
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted September 20, 2006 12:00      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hadn't looked at it that way, but that does make perfect sense.

I meant no offense when I said a woman who enjoys HD football is unusual, by the way... it's not that common (at least not here). I know a bunch of guys who would be much happier if it was more common.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 20, 2006 12:15      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
splitpeasoup_________ you yourselft might not be a spammer but your post is spam (i know its contradicting). But when you start reccomending commercial products and putting a link in your post to the website then by definition its spam.

I don't agree with some people that spammers or people accidently posting spam in the forums shoud be banned. Instead I think there should be a three strikes policy where the spammer would get some sort of symbol underneath their name identifying them as a spammer for life. Or something of that nature.

And again i'm sorry splitpeasoup if I offended you by calling your post spam. But honestly if i wanted hd then i would go to my nearest bell store. Its okay if you say how great hd is. I just don't want to read the spam parts of the post.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture