homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » Games in school

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Games in school
The real Stealth
Geek
Member # 4615

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted February 03, 2006 07:42      Profile for The real Stealth   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok... I would like to know what the feeling/opinion/facts are about Computer Games in school...

Mabey I am just sheltered but the School Board at my school PVA just approved them on camups and I along with many supporters and students are looking to petition against it...

What does everyone think?

Oh, P.S. I am an activley enrolled student (Junior) and am the one leading alumni, students, faculty, etc.

--------------------
The one and only "§†eal†h the Fallen One"...Between Your life And mine are Three realities, Yours, The real one, and Mine. They they form a bridge shapped in the letters D-O-_-N-O-T-_-C-R-O-S-S.

Posts: 141 | From: Battle Creek, MI | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 03, 2006 07:49      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure D'Man has an opinion on this, and I'm guessing it's probably close to mine, since we both work in tech support at universities. (I apologize if I'm wrong). Someone else on the forums is in academic tech support as well, but I can't remember who at the moment.

It's a horrible idea. Games are notorious for screwing up machines, needing drivers and so on. A school has to exercise some control over what goes on the machines or tech support becomes a nightmare fast. I know I wouldn't want to work there. The software I have to support gives me enough of a headache. The exception would be if those games were somehow integral to instruction or say, if you were designing the games as part of coursework.

And now as a Mom... what are you doing playing games in school?????

Posts: 764 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 03, 2006 08:03      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What I'm more interested in is why you are looking to petition against it. I'm playing devil's advocate, as my personal and professional opinions are divided on this matter. Personally, I think games /can/ be a good thing at times, and shouldn't be villified, though I don't 'game' (v.) much. Professionally, I will agree with Grey_girl, and say that games are an absolute fscking nightmare for any kind of reasonably managed machine, and should only be used on personal machines.

Grey_girl - I have a story for you... utterly terrifying. I shain't bore the rest of you with it, though maybe at some point, I'll write you with it.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The real Stealth
Geek
Member # 4615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 03, 2006 08:35      Profile for The real Stealth   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, I guess I need to clarify unlike the "Nerd Boat" Slashdot post... http://games.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=06/02/02/1553243
The issue here came from students wanting to play games in the dorm...This is (or was) a conservative boarding high school and has traditionally banned gaming on campus... but some students asked for an amendment so that they can game in the dorms... Well this leaves little time to do anything because of the setup of the school... I probably only muddied the water with my explanation, but I will try to clarify it as I can.

--------------------
The one and only "§†eal†h the Fallen One"...Between Your life And mine are Three realities, Yours, The real one, and Mine. They they form a bridge shapped in the letters D-O-_-N-O-T-_-C-R-O-S-S.

Ben the Man
Maximum Newbie
Member # 4579

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted February 08, 2006 06:34      Profile for Ben the Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So... the games are on YOUR computer (or the student's compie, whatev) so they don't interfere with the college's network. They could take up a lot of time, but so can movies or parties or even worse the internet. What could be (more) wrong with gaming?

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in this world. those who can count in binary and those who can't.

~Ben

The real Stealth
Geek
Member # 4615

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted February 09, 2006 11:58      Profile for The real Stealth   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um what is wrong with it is that (sa I said...) it is an "academy" or High School... not a college.

--------------------

GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 09, 2006 13:40      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I may who your thinking of Grey. Most of our clients are Professors and TAs, so we haven't had a problem with gamming. That isn't to say that we don't have dirt on certian professors use of content that isn't acedemic.

That said, I don't mind people breaking the "rules" on their machine, as long as it doesn't impact the network. The big issue is that any networked gamming creates network traffic, which could cause a slow down on the campus network. Our university doesn't have a problem with gamming or P2P apps in the dorms (on privatly owned computers), our NOC just moves frequent gamers to a different part of the network, so people who ingauge in these activies are getting a less than ideal connection.

IEEE-Computer Society has hosted a couple of LAN Parties, and we are always very careful to keep trafic off the university netowork, and use our own switches. We've been talking about renting the university's Planatarium for the next one, but so far it's just talk.

My thought of the perfect policy from on high would be, "We don't condemn, nor condone, gaming. Installation of any software on campus owned property is strictly forbiden without approval from XYZ. Problems on personal systems that resulted from installed gaming or problems with game software are not supported by our tech department." Or some such, that basically says: If it's our box, we set the rules, period. If you own the box, game at your own risk; it's not our problem.

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture