homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » Grammar Nazis (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Grammar Nazis
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 01, 2006 09:22      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hold on there Spidey, she did keep repeating that she was studying Eng Lit at university. It is not possible to study Eng Lit at that level without the ability to use the language, so either she was lying = troll, or she could not be bothered = troll. When doubt was expressed as to her story, she reacted very aggressively, so I think it most likely that she (if it was a she) was lying. I don't think she would have thrown in the completely irrelevant quote from the Revenger's Tragedy, if she was actually studying Eng Lit. I have twitted other members here for being too harsh on newbies in the past, but this one was not treated unfairly.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
angryjungman

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2434

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 01, 2006 09:44      Profile for angryjungman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why are you people insisting on directing Spidey's comments to that one thread/person? He's repeatedly said that this is something he's noticed IN GENERAL around here lately. And quite frankly, I agree with him.

--------------------
Meh.

Posts: 634 | From: princeton, nj | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 01, 2006 09:59      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
because Spidey's post was answering nwnf's which was talking about her. It's a conversation, and conversations wander. As far as the general point goes, I can't say that I have noticed this place become that much harsher or cliquey. In the good old days when everyone was welcoming lovely and tolerant, I seem to remember Cap'n Vic used to jump on newbies very frequently, and with little provocation.

So I don't think the old place is going down the toilet.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 01, 2006 10:29      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If a person wants to join an established group of people, that person will need to make an attempt to respect their established conventions.

I've noticed very few cases where newbies weren't warned that attempting to use correct grammar is important here. The flaming sometimes gets out of hand, but I don't have a lot of sympathy for people who ignore or argue with warnings.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted February 01, 2006 10:35      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spiderman:
quote:
Originally posted by nerdwithnofriends:
To have both the knowledge and ability to write readable English, while blatantly deciding not to, is downright disrespectful and rude.

This of course makes it perfectly acceptable to be equally disrespectful and rude. You also assume the "knowledge and ability to write readable English".

This license to further clutter the forums with deconstructive drivel is a pathetic double standard.

nerdwithnofriends: I'm not attacking you personally here, merely the idea you have presented; an idea which seems to be shared by about half of posters here.

Thanks, MMKK For bringing the bong. [Big Grin] [crazy]

Did you actually read my whole post? Let me reiterate for you: it comes down to effort. Like I said in my post, we don't really mind mistakes so long as a person is making a valid effort towards communication.

And yes, it does give us the right to make someone feel unwanted here, because if they do not have the common courtesy to at least make an effort, they don't belong here.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

Spiderman

Solid Nitrozanium Superfan!
Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 01, 2006 12:16      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:
Hold on there Spidey, she did keep repeating that she was studying Eng Lit at university. It is not possible to study Eng Lit at that level without the ability to use the language, so either she was lying = troll, or she could not be bothered = troll. When doubt was expressed as to her story, she reacted very aggressively, so I think it most likely that she (if it was a she) was lying. I don't think she would have thrown in the completely irrelevant quote from the Revenger's Tragedy, if she was actually studying Eng Lit. I have twitted other members here for being too harsh on newbies in the past, but this one was not treated unfairly.

As difficult to comprehend as many people seem to find this, I am *not* referring to our recent female troll.

Instead, I was addressing the attitude I was seeing, which I feel is very destructive to the community here.

quote:
In the good old days when everyone was welcoming lovely and tolerant, I seem to remember Cap'n Vic used to jump on newbies very frequently, and with little provocation. So I don't think the old place is going down the toilet.
He had a great sense for these things, and was often right. This is hardly the case with the rash of newbie jumping that goes on by anyone and everyone.

As to the old place going down the toilet, I know of at least three current, long-time, active, respected forum members, and as many more that have stopped posting who would disagree with you there. [Frown]

quote:
because Spidey's post was answering nwnf's which was talking about her. It's a conversation, and conversations wander
She was never mentioned specifically in his post, and again, it was not my intention to refer to that situation.

quote:
Originally posted by nerdwithnofriends:
Did you actually read my whole post? Let me reiterate for you: it comes down to effort. Like I said in my post, we don't really mind mistakes so long as a person is making a valid effort towards communication.

I've stated my opinion, you've stated yours, you're entitled to think what you wish and I respect that.

If someone makes a valid effort, that's great. If they don't, ignore them.

quote:

And yes, it does give us the right to make someone feel unwanted here, because if they do not have the common courtesy to at least make an effort, they don't belong here.

This is where I have a big problem. If the site belonged to you, and you were writing the rules, I wouldn't take issue with this statement, but as things stand, this is not the case. Posting here is not a right, but a privilege. "Making someone feel unwanted" is either feeding a troll, in which case we've done exactly what they want, or it's scaring someone away and adding to a reputation that these forums will continue to gain, and hold. Neither of these situations is desirable.

In summary, I'd like to clarify a few things as this thread has become long, and unwieldly, causing much misinterpretation of my words.

I'm all for outing a troll, obviously they have no place here, but I'd rather not have to read the mess that is the process. Snaggy does a great job of taking care of problem posters, and when he does, it takes place quietly and most people never know what happened.

I stress this issue for the same reason I pay $120/year for a superfan subscription; because I care. I love the work that Nitrozac and Snaggy do, I love the wonderful discussion that can come from these forums, and I feel that S&N deserve a bit more maturity from us as a community.

I've said what I feel I need to say, and I intend to leave it at that. I have no intention of posting in this thread again. Please direct anything you wish to discuss further to my private message inbox and I will be happy to respond.

--------------------
Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x]

Posts: 846 | From: Chicago | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
eDJ
Geek
Member # 1950

Icon 2 posted February 01, 2006 12:42      Profile for eDJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The grammar nazi seems to be the antithesis of the "Troll". He or she is often an "imbeded troll" who is secure within a clique and lying in wait to use his skill as a tool, weapon, or means to censure his victim. Anyone mispelling a word or blundering grammatically may incur the "policy games" of the grammar nazi.

It's a blogg...not an English Honors Class.

--------------------
I don't give a shit...I don't take any shit. I'm not in the shit business.

Posts: 131 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 01, 2006 12:53      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by eDJ:
He or she is often an "imbeded troll"

I'm sure you meant "imbedded" [Wink]

Now, I'm off to find those billy goats Gruff...

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10702 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
eDJ
Geek
Member # 1950

Icon 10 posted February 01, 2006 13:05      Profile for eDJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL, Druid....when I can get all of the lexicographers agreeing on the "one" correct spelling for it...even Google finds it both ways. [crazy]

--------------------

Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 01, 2006 13:08      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by eDJ:
The grammar nazi seems to be the antithesis of the "Troll". He or she is often an "imbeded troll" who is secure within a clique and lying in wait to use his skill as a tool, weapon, or means to censure his victim. Anyone mispelling a word or blundering grammatically may incur the "policy games" of the grammar nazi.

It's a blogg...not an English Honors Class.

You have a point, in some cases. However, a lot of times here there is just a general expectation that people show insight in their posts. Hastily-typed posts which are run together without capitalization or puncuation are also difficult for many of us to read. Some are just particularly intolerant of that type of post.

One additional thought is that many of us here have areas of expertise. Major errors are going to seem particularly glaring for people who know a bit more in that area. For example, calling a whale a fish is going to be particularly annoying to a person with a background in biology, just as calling a forum a blog is going to bother people knowledgeable about the internet. [Wink]

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
eDJ
Geek
Member # 1950

Icon 12 posted February 01, 2006 13:24      Profile for eDJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, point taken. I've seen this so much of this
in bloggs and forums and wonder if it will ever resolve. Addressing it in the TOS/net etiquette
sticky still seems only academic though.

I kind of hold with this little wisdom.

quote:
Lord, give me the courage to change those things I can change, the serenity to live with those I can't,...and the wisdom to know the difference.
Serenity now, serenity now, serenity now. [Wink]

--------------------

Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted February 01, 2006 14:39      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:Originally posted by eDJ:
He or she is often an "imbeded troll"

I'm sure you meant "imbedded" [Wink]

'Embedded' - surely?

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
eDJ
Geek
Member # 1950

Icon 11 posted February 01, 2006 19:22      Profile for eDJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well Grummash.....just a few minutes ago I found a
citation that proves you're right also. I was reading one of my Library books titled "Ponzi's Scheme" by Mitchell Zuckoff/Random House NY, NY.(page 153/third paragraph)

"......Chester's 1908 novel 'Get Rich Quick Wallingford: The Cheerful account of the rise and fall of an American Buccaneer, had become embedded
in popular culture with help from a long-running
1910 play written by Georg M. Cohan..."

See.....they spelled it "embedded".

"Ponzi's Scheme" @ Amazon

We'll make an English Honors Class of it yet, won't we? Something here to foil even the most Fascistic Grammar Nazi ! (embedded, embeded, imbedded, imbeded)
But then....even Shakespeare spelled his name differently from time to time "didney"?

[Happytears]

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture