homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » Western Civilisation hits a new low...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Western Civilisation hits a new low...
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 29, 2005 13:54      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am losing faith in this society thing. It just gets worse. Proof here. I'm off to start my own sex, death and cheeseburger cult in the Amazon.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 29, 2005 16:55      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The charts mean very little anymore, sadly... I remember back when I was a kid, my brother and I used to sit down excitedly on Thursday nights to watch 'Top of the Pops' - it was always a huge event finding out who got the top of the chart. And now? - Singles are being bought primarily by 8 year olds with too much pocket money to waste, and almost everything we hear on the radio is a remixed piece of crap that was crap in the first place.

</rant>

P.S. - Interesting article on the subject found here actually.

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted May 29, 2005 22:28            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you want to know how far the music industry has fallen, go here and buy a copy of The Daily Adventures of Mixerman. It's the chronicle of the recording of a bidding-war band, written by the man who recorded them...or tried to. Reading it will give you a true impression of what the music industry is really like...as well as an appreciation of the quality of vibe and the importance of sushi, chocolate muffins, and fatties. Erbo sez: "Thumbs up!"
IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 30, 2005 00:41      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, tell me more about the sex and the cheeseburgers.
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 30, 2005 01:45      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/me has a really bad feeling about that 'special sauce' [Eek!]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 30, 2005 02:21      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is an article in The Times today with a quote from the person who started it all which is moderately amusing:

"I would never have it on my phone. If it came on television I would turn it off. Even before it went on the website, I began to hate myself"

Apparently it was originally titled "annoying thing" and not crazy frog. Never a truer word spoken.

drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 30, 2005 06:00      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd be more surprised if the other 9 entries on the top 10 weren't also colossal pieces of shit.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zwilnik

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 30, 2005 07:11      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The chart's been irrelevant for years, but I think the Crazy Frog thing is a case of karmic retribution.

Years ago, when the original (and way better) version of Axel F was in the charts, it was due to hit number 1 but on the last day of sales for that week's chart there were a couple of small gigs in London and LA called "Live Aid". It turns out that Axel F just needed 2 more sales to hit number one, but because people were watching Live Aid they didn't buy many records that day and Axel F was beaten to the number one chart by a track called "Frankie" by Sister Sledge. After Live Aid of course, everyone went out and bought Dire Straights and Queen albums [Wink]

So however terrible (and it's pretty ****ing terrible) Crazy Frog is, I suspect it's karmic payback for the 2 lazy sods who sat on their arses watching Live Aid when they should have gone out and bought Axel F!

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 30, 2005 07:20      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But it used to be so good. Back in the day - when I were a lad - like Skylie said - Top of the Pops was the best thing since rubber chickens. In the hurly eighties there were acts like Landscape (remember 'Einstein a-go-go'?), Kraftwerk, XTC, Tempole Tudor, Madness, OMD... I could go on. The music was genuinely good. Then Boy George came along and destroyed popular music forever. How I wept.

There used to be art in pop - now it's as empty as Paris Hilton's cranium.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 30, 2005 08:32      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
In the hurly eighties there were acts like Landscape (remember 'Einstein a-go-go'?), Kraftwerk, XTC, Tempole Tudor, Madness, OMD... I could go on.
Joe Dolce, St Winifreds School Choir, The firm, Jive bunny.

There was crap back then too, but it is easy to forget the rubbish and remember the good stuff. Having said that the signal to noise ratio has been decreasing.

And I was looking for Einstein a go go just the other day.

ASM65816
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 712

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted May 30, 2005 09:28      Profile for ASM65816   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe the music industry really doesn't have such a bad signal-to-noise ratio. It could be that they're using spread spectrum modulation and the key for psuedo-noise generation hasn't been properly distributed.
quote:
Spreading the data across the frequency spectrum greatly increases the bandwidth (amount of data that can be transmitted at one time), and it also makes the signal resistant to noise, interference, and snooping.
See, they're doing it for our own good, not that the snooping part has any relevance in music.
[evil] ("80's Music Rocks!" ... exit, stage left ... and hastily so!)

--------------------
Once a proud programmer of Apple II's, he now spends his days and nights in cheap dives fraternizing with exotic dancers....

Posts: 1035 | From: Third rock from sun. | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 30, 2005 13:50      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, back in the good old days the music was better, the beer more flavoursome, and the women more beautiful.

Who can forget such deep, meaningful lyrics as

Tutti-frutti, ah rooti,
tutti-frutti, ah rooti,
tutti frutti, ah rooti,
ah rom bom bah loom bom bah lom bam boom !

They don't write 'em like that any more !

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 30, 2005 19:43      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
Yes, back in the good old days the music was better, the beer more flavoursome, and the women more beautiful.

And iced Vovos actually had a decent amount of the topping stuff on them, rather than the skimpy amount they put on there these days.

What?

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture