homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » Star Wars IV, V, VI

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Star Wars IV, V, VI
Koeniou
Maximum Newbie
Member # 3024

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted October 29, 2004 01:53      Profile for Koeniou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last Saturday night was one of the best times i've had in front of a TV.

As you all know Star Wars was recently released on DVD- and i just had to have it. I'd never fully seen all three of the original movies- and without ad breaks (this was because i was too little & would normally fall asleep- stupid young self).

My dad remembers seeing them in the cinema as a kid, and he was also excited about watching them- my mum is against them (more of a Rocky Horror fan) & my sister is indefferent.

So dad and i finally found a night where nothing else was on, where we were both home at the same time & didn't have to work the next day. We set up the newly (and finally arrived) surround sound, bought a heap of junk food & settled into the watch the movies.

I tell you, if what i experienced watching all three of the movies all in the row is even half as much as what you guys experienced as a kid I can now full heartedly understand why it has such a cult following.

It was MAGNIFICENT!!!

I loved it! My friends have tried to gag me more than once this week because i wouldn't shut up about it. I loved it so much that i spent the next day watching the special features- i was in my own personal geeky heaven. *swoon*

This is not to say that my generations version of the episodes IV, V & VI are better than yours. I'd gladly sit down & watch the original versions anyday- but i'm (for the moment)content with what Lucas has offered us.

My geeky little heart is full with love for the movies- and it will take awhile for that to be replaced by something else.

In conclusion- "May the Force be with you!"

Posts: 10 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted October 29, 2004 11:30      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know I am a bit of an old skool Star Wars fan. But I do want to get the new set. It would be nice to watch them that way. The VHS tape are getting a bit worn.

I never did get to watch them in the theatre. I was either too young or too poor at the releases. I am waiting patiently for the classics theatre in town to play them. Right now they have Ghostbusters and Poltergeist on.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2472 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
zboy
Mini Geek
Member # 2969

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 29, 2004 22:35      Profile for zboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Koeniou, I am in agreement with you. The Empire Strikes Back was the first movie I ever saw, and since then I have been a die hard Star Wars fan. There are many Star Wars fans who disagree with me, but I am pleased with this DVD version of the trilogy. I am glad you enjoyed the movie. It has brought me years of enjoyment.
Posts: 72 | From: A galaxy far, far, away ... | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Autumn
Newbie Larva
Member # 3056

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted November 02, 2004 11:32      Profile for Autumn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had to get the boxset, my video tapes stopped working over four years ago. It was nice to sit down and watch the whole trilogy in one go.

--------------------
Avert Thy eyes!

Posts: 7 | From: Ireland | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 03, 2004 03:19      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By the way - Welcome, Autumn. I think (although I ain't sure) that you're the only Irelander here.

Are you anywhere near Craggy Island? [Wink]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6530 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Autumn
Newbie Larva
Member # 3056

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted November 03, 2004 04:48      Profile for Autumn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello, nowhere near craggy island, its further up the country

--------------------
Avert Thy eyes!

Posts: 7 | From: Ireland | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 03, 2004 05:19      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Autumn:
Hello, nowhere near craggy island, its further up the country

That's a terrible shame - I expect you never get the opportunity to kick Bishop Brennan up the arse. Ah, go on, go on, go on, go on...

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6530 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Moe Monkey
Geek
Member # 1900

Icon 2 posted November 03, 2004 14:21      Profile for Moe Monkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your dad was a kid when he went to see them?

Now I feel old...

I remember reading the Starlog issue (#7) profiling this great new movie that was coming out -- we were all jazzed up about it in my grade 7 class.

My fondest memory was when the whole theatre went nuts (practically leaping out of our seats) when Han Solo appeared out of nowhere to clear the way for Luke at the end. Oops, guess that should have had a spoilers alert. [Wink]

I guess I'll have to add the DVD set to my Christmas wish list...

MM

Posts: 145 | From: The couch in the living room | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Koeniou
Maximum Newbie
Member # 3024

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2004 02:17      Profile for Koeniou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my dad was 14 when the first one came out, so a year younger than i am now (he's now 41 [don't tell him i told you] [Razz] )
Posts: 10 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Moe Monkey
Geek
Member # 1900

Icon 1 posted November 04, 2004 15:48      Profile for Moe Monkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm coming up on my 40th (I can hear the real oldtimers grumbling now ... "call that old?!"), so I'm a touch younger than your dad.

The real generation gap here is how you will enjoy those movies -- I had to go back to the theatre to see it again (I wasn't totally nuts, only saw SW 10 times or so), today you just hit the replay button on the ol' DVD player.

Oh yeah, and I could always slap my "Story of Star Wars" LP on the record player as often as I wanted. (...wonders what that would fetch on eBay these days...)

MM

Posts: 145 | From: The couch in the living room | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2004 16:18      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moe Monkey:
I'm coming up on my 40th (

Call that old ??

[Wink]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10702 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture