homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » AppleCare? More like AppleScrewCustomers...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: AppleCare? More like AppleScrewCustomers...
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted October 13, 2004 12:21      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My powerbook had a slight LCD defect (a spot in the lower right corner that appeared to be somewhat brighter than the rest of the image), so I sent it in for repair. Today it came back, and lo and behold - the spot is still there, only this time it's darker, not lighter; the backlight is much dimmer (yes, i did turn screen brightness all the way up) and in addition to that I get three dead pixels. WTF? I sent them a machine with a nearly perfect LCD - no dead pixels, at least, and got one back with a display that's dimmer and has more dead pixels than my cheap HP? I called them up and got the usual "three dead pixels is well within the specs" BS. So much for their great customer service...
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted October 13, 2004 12:41      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Frown]
It could be worse...

macmcseboy

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted October 13, 2004 14:04      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dp004i...

As an AppleCare tecnician in Canada, I can say that the three dead pixels are of couse well within tolereances... unless the are closely grouped . No LCD is perfect, as the pixels are of three RGB components, thus you may not notice all aberations that exist on any given panel. But the display the sent you is clearly defective (dark spot).

Here in Canada I do all the repairs instore and thus have more quality control, as you are in the US you have to get a Mail in dispatch and are at the mercy of some low paid wannabe technician ( I have seen a US depot repaired unit.. had to do some work on a tourist machine).

What you need to do is call Customer relations. and give them your serial number and repair number and explain that the situation is worse then what you sent in. DO NOT BACK DOWN if they try to say that the dark area in the display is normal... it is not. What you are looking for is a Fix or if they offer, a replacement unit.

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 2 posted October 13, 2004 18:24      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After taking a closer look, it appears that those monkeys installed a display from the first-gen 12" albook, complete with dead pixels, bright spots and what looks like a piece of white thread stuck inside the LCD (almost invisible when I look at the screen at a normal angle, but highly visible when I look at it from the top). Could it be that they install junk parts that will fail soon on laptops without applecare, so they can really stick it to the customer as soon as the warranty runs out? I suppose l can give customer relations a call tomorrow and demand in-store replacement - I don't have time to ship it to the repair facility ten times in a row. If they refuse and start feeding me that within specs bs again, guess I'll have no choice but to do a chargeback and return this junk to apple store in well-used condition (/me loves his amex platinum).

PS: I ran dead pixel detector software on every ibook and powerbook that was on display at the apple store. Not a single dead pixel, and there were at least eight machines there, probably more. Interesting, eh?

Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted October 14, 2004 12:07      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dp: all replacements are guaranteed for 90 days
apple replaced one lcd for me (the one in the above picture) and the new screen is OK, but it seems to be darker. i could do a side-by-side with my sister's (same model, but original lcd), but she's out of state for a bit

macmcseboy

Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 14, 2004 16:56      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tut-an-Geek:
dp: all replacements are guaranteed for 90 days
apple replaced one lcd for me (the one in the above picture) and the new screen is OK, but it seems to be darker. i could do a side-by-side with my sister's (same model, but original lcd), but she's out of state for a bit

All apple parts are guaranteed for 90 days Parts and labor from date of purchase or replacement. This is of course different if you have AppleCare in which case it's 90 days or the remainder of the AppleCare agreement, whichever is LONGER.

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

macmcseboy

Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 14, 2004 17:00      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dp004i:

PS: I ran dead pixel detector software on every ibook and powerbook that was on display at the apple store. Not a single dead pixel, and there were at least eight machines there, probably more. Interesting, eh?

Pixel software is not going to find them all , eaxh pixel has an R, G, and B subpixel to make up the overall color you see on the lcd... Not all pixels are firing on anyh given color.

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 14, 2004 19:30      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was it sent to the Memphis repair depot?
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
smallerdemon
Geek
Member # 635

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted October 20, 2004 22:35      Profile for smallerdemon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What, exaclty, I have to ask, is going on with Apple's QA? I'm still 16 days without my G5, btw, and I've heard, total, six different stories of what is wrong with it. I feel for you. And I feel for the techs having to put up with the inept QA.

--------------------
That's using your brainium!

Posts: 214 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture