homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » Paralympic Results

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Paralympic Results
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted September 23, 2004 08:22      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny. We had a couple of threads about the lack of medals for Canada at the regular Olympics. But look at the actual results for the Paralympics:

code:

Rank Country Gold Silver Bronze Tot.
1 CHN 27 26 21 74
2 GBR 19 11 14 44
3 AUS 13 19 15 47
4 UKR 12 6 11 29
5 FRA 11 13 16 40
6 ESP 10 10 13 33
7 CAN 10 8 6 24
8 GER 9 12 23 44
9 USA 9 11 16 36

Then compare with the Olympics results:

code:

Rank Country Gold Silver Bronze Tot.
1 USA 35 39 29 103
2 RUS 27 27 38 92
3 CHN 32 17 14 63
4 AUS 17 16 16 49
5 GER 14 16 18 48
6 JPN 16 9 12 37
7 FRA 11 9 13 33
8 ITA 10 11 11 32
19 CAN 3 6 3 12

See how the United-States, Russia and Japan had very good results at the Olympics, but aren't so good with the paralympics? (Russia 11th, Japan 13th), while Canada gained over ten places? And China was 3rd and now 1st. (Ok, I know, Paralympics are not over yet, and results can change. Still...)

Would it be that Canada, along with some other countries, support people more equally? That they are more inclusive societies, where everyone, no matter their conditions, have a chance to succeeed? While on the other hand, USA, Russia and Japan (and maybe some other) would rather support those who best represent their ideals?

I'm pretty much just floating a balloon; I'd like to know what you people think about it.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted September 23, 2004 09:47      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whatever you do, don't post the Special Olympics medal standings.....poeple will start talking about us. [Wink]

-

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 23, 2004 10:51      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Y'know, I wonder about that image. That little blurb on the bottom of it suggests that's where it came from, although in the earliest versions of it that I ever saw, there was no such tagline. This leaves 3 possiblities. 1) some scumbag added his site to the bottom just because his site happens to have a copy of it. 2) someone removed the tagline since receiving it and that one made its rounds too, and 3) the person who made it realised just how popular it'd become, and added it on.

I wonder...

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted September 23, 2004 11:58      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
....which is exactly why I am leeching his BW [Cool]

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 23, 2004 14:43      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a little bragging - I know two Paralympic swimmers (Casey Johnson and Erin Popovich (just won a gold medal) and a boccia player (Sam Williams). And not all from the same context, either!
Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 23, 2004 15:08      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by magefile:
Just a little bragging - I know two Paralympic swimmers (Casey Johnson and Erin Popovich (just won a gold medal) and a boccia player (Sam Williams). And not all from the same context, either!

When it was on in Sydney, I went to visit it in finals time. The women's doubles tennis was on that day, and I was surprised to find out that one of the Australian team members was someone I went to high school with. Unfortunately they lost, but it was a good game.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 23, 2004 17:34      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still have difficulty believing that there is a 'Wheelchair Tennis' event.

I mean really .... tennis .... in wheelchairs.

I can't hit the fscking ball as it is, or when I do, it never goes where I want it to, and I don't have to worry about wheeling myself about while clutching a tennis-racquet.

To be able to play that game in a wheelchair is a superhuman achievement IMHO.

BTW - is there any truth to the rumour that the Republicans will be running ads taking credit for Iraqs strong showing in the 'amputees' events?

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 23, 2004 18:22      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
I still have difficulty believing that there is a 'Wheelchair Tennis' event.

I mean really .... tennis .... in wheelchairs.

I can't hit the fscking ball as it is, or when I do, it never goes where I want it to, and I don't have to worry about wheeling myself about while clutching a tennis-racquet.

To be able to play that game in a wheelchair is a superhuman achievement IMHO.

I fully agree. Judging by the standard I saw, I wouldn't want to bet on the outcome of a match between me and one of the disabled guys (giving them the double bounce rule like they play with in those matches). And I'm a reasonably competent amateur.

And I'd definitely get pwned by the table tennis players.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted September 23, 2004 18:37      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm willing to be you'd both rock at pocket pool [evil]

ABC Announcer: Can you believe it folks, two gold medals for Australia

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture