homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » Just stick with watching PAX

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Just stick with watching PAX
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted April 28, 2004 15:49      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(CNN) -- The world's biggest retailer is offering a DVD player that slices out potentially offensive content from movies, such as nudity, violence and foul language.

The device, available at Wal-Mart for about $70, merges video-editing technology developed by ClearPlay with an RCA brand DVD player.

The DVD player works by cutting scenes or muting parts of the movie, according to guidelines from ClearPlay's staff of editors, said ClearPlay CEO Bill Aho.
......... Full story here

Yet another reason I don't shop at Walmart!

If someone is that concerned about "naughty things" in movies would they even own any DVDs rated over "G" to begin with? Just another excuse to let the TV be the babysitter.

Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Elvermere
Geek
Member # 2456

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 28, 2004 22:24      Profile for Elvermere     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup gotta agree. Just another way for parents to FEEL GOOD about letting the TV be the babysitter.

I mean, how about TALKING to your kids, or reading to them.

Or perhaps care enought to know what goes on in the movies that your kids are watching.

--------------------
Duct Tape is like the force.
It has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together.

Posts: 113 | From: Perth, West AU | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Drazgal
Geek
Member # 984

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 29, 2004 05:25      Profile for Drazgal   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey! I spent all day in front of the TV as a child and I turned out TV!

[oh how I miss the simpsons]

Posts: 154 | From: Dundee, United Kingdom | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
crazyarlo
Geek
Member # 1226

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted April 29, 2004 09:29      Profile for crazyarlo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love television! I force my kids to watch stinging social commentary on it!

Like South Park!! Or The Daily Show! Or Dave Chapelle! Or Iron Chef!!!! ROFL

Well, OK.............and the History Channel........

Posts: 238 | From: Southern Ohio ... SURF OHIO, BABY! | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted April 29, 2004 15:51            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That reminds me...our cable system is being switched today. We had this really non-standard system called "TVMAX" that apparently serves a bunch of apartment complexes...only Comcast just bought them, so now we're being switched to Comcast, which is what most of the rest of Denver has. We'll gain a few channels as a result, and won't lose any important ones. But now I have to reprogram the three TVs and two VCRs... [ohwell]
IP: Logged
Elvermere
Geek
Member # 2456

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 29, 2004 23:27      Profile for Elvermere     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It still blows my mind about cable. I mean, we only have foxtel over here which is pretty expensive for the programming that they offer (the lowest option is AU$68.90 per month). This seems extortionistic to me, but then I don't value TV watching too hightly?

We do have some OK (sort of) channels still.

Anyone else (US and elsewhere) want to comment on this?

--------------------
Duct Tape is like the force.
It has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together.

Posts: 113 | From: Perth, West AU | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture