homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » Recipes! Recipes! Recipes! (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Recipes! Recipes! Recipes!
Drazgal
Geek
Member # 984

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 15, 2004 10:05      Profile for Drazgal   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Open Source Cookbook
Posts: 154 | From: Dundee, United Kingdom | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lithandro
Geek
Member # 2407

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted April 15, 2004 13:16      Profile for Lithandro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
2 Slices bread
4 oz cheddar cheese, grated
1/2 onion, diced
2 teaspoons mayonaise

Mix cheese, mayo and onion. (enough for a few servings)
lighly toast both slices of bread on one side.
on untoasted side of one slice, spread the cheese and onion mix and return to grill until mayo starts to bubble slightly.
take other slice of half-toasted bread and place on top.
eat.

another recipe i enjoy "Cafe Royale"

4.0 teaspoon Brandy
0.75 cup Coffee
1.0 each cube Sugar

Pour coffee into warmed mug. Float 2 teaspoons brandy on coffee. Put remaining 2 tsps brandy into a tblsp w/sugar cube. Warm spoon over hot coffee. With a match, carefully ignite brandy in tsp. Slowly lower spoon into coffee to ignite floating brandy. When brandy has finished burning, stir and drink.

--------------------
But why is the rum gone?

Posts: 106 | From: Pontefract, UK | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Number 2608
Mini Geek
Member # 2608

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted April 16, 2004 01:02      Profile for Number 2608     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ate this last night, takes about 15 minutes to prepare:

SPICY BACON & BEANS

1 onion, finely chopped
1 green pepper, de-seeded and diced
3 green chilli peppers, de-seeded and finely chopped
15ml (1 tablespoon) vegetable oil
10 rashers rindless bacon, chopped
227g (8 oz) tin chopped tomatoes
440g (16 oz) tin mixed bean salad, drained
freshly ground black pepper
grated Cheddar cheese

Fry the onion, green pepper and chilli peppers in the oil for 5 minutes. Add the bacon and cook for a further 5 minutes.
Add the tomatoes, along with their juice, and the beans to the bacon mixture. Stir, cover and simmer gently for 5 minutes.
Season, to taste, with black pepper.
Transfer mixture to an ovenproof dish, sprinkle with the grated cheese and brown under a hot grill.

Serve on a bed of rice with tortilla chips.

Add/subtract chillies and their seeds depending on how hot you like your food. If you are lazy, leave out the cheese/grilling bit. Above quantities feeds 3-4, but it freezes/microwaves well.

Posts: 82 | From: Leeds, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 16, 2004 01:13      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lithandro:
...another recipe i enjoy "Cafe Royale"

4.0 teaspoon Brandy
0.75 cup Coffee
1.0 each cube Sugar

Pour coffee into warmed mug. Float 2 teaspoons brandy on coffee. Put remaining 2 tsps brandy into a tblsp w/sugar cube. Warm spoon over hot coffee. With a match, carefully ignite brandy in tsp. Slowly lower spoon into coffee to ignite floating brandy. When brandy has finished burning, stir and drink.

I quite like "Keith Richard Royale":

Ingredients: 1 bottle brandy.

Method: Open bottle. Drink contents.

Permission to RAWK?
[Wink]

Posts: 1263 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
ooby
Highlie
Member # 2603

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 20, 2004 06:33      Profile for ooby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You'll need an iron and an ironing board for this recipe. Butter up one side of two slices of bread. throw a slice of american cheese between the unbuttered size. Press with the iron. Saw it on Benny and Joon [Cool]

--------------------
"haven't you ever wondered if there's more to life than being really, really, rediculously good looking?"

Posts: 680 | From: South Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 20, 2004 06:51      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1 pound ground beef
1/2 of a green bell pepper
a similar amount of onion, any kind

Cook the ground beef until almost browned; then add the chopped-up pepper and onion. Finish cooking the beef, and drain off the grease.

Add:
1 can (~16 oz.) pinto beans, drained
1 can (~16 oz.) red beans, drained
1 can (~8 oz.) tomato sauce
1 can (~4 oz.) tomato paste
spices

I'm still working on the spices part. Chili powder, garlic, black pepper, salt, allspice, oregano, ...? Stir it all up and cook about 10 minutes.

Serve with cheese and tortilla chips.

Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 20, 2004 07:07      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Take 3 potatoes, wash thoroughly, cut off any nasty bits, but leave the skins on. Microwave them for a minute or two to soften them up a tiny bit, then slice them in half lengthwise, then slice them into semicircles. Be careful -- they're probably hot.

Cook these in a few tablespoons of vegetable oil over medium-low heat, COVERED, stirring/flipping regularly. There will be several layers of them in a frying pan, which is why the low heat and cover are important.

When they're starting to soften (about 20-30 minutes), add:

onion (about half of one big one, cut into large pieces)
garlic powder
salt & black pepper
cayenne pepper (not much - it's strong!)
paprika

Continue cooking, COVERED, until the onions and potatoes are done. The paprika is the key to this one; you may want to save it for last, and sprinkle it on just before you finish cooking. Or you can mix it in with the rest.

As you can see, I don't measure the spices carefully when I'm doing these things. I'm still experimenting. I prefer to use relatively little salt, and lots of garlic.

Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 20, 2004 07:45      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by greycat:

Beans in a chili from someone who lives in Ohio? No spaghetti and cheese? [Eek!] At least it explains the allspice. [Wink]

/me, who craves Gold Star and that other chili chain I can never remember the name of.

Posts: 764 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 20, 2004 08:06      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I'm still working on the spices part. Chili powder, garlic, black pepper, salt, allspice, oregano, ...? Stir it all up and cook about 10 minutes.

I go with garlic, chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper, and marjoram. Sometimes my mom will mix it all up for me as a care package, other times I have to measure it out meself.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 20, 2004 08:19      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cuh!
A boy's best friend is his microwave.
Oh all right, his *second* best friend...
[evil]

snupy
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 20, 2004 12:08      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm..and what would the first be?? [Wink]

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 20, 2004 12:15      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Err... Errr...
*blushes*
*unconvincingly*
Oh yes: my computer, of course...
*ahem...*
;-)

Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 20, 2004 16:49      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
To cook rice in a sauce pan:
1 volume rice
2 volumes water
Cover and boil off the water and voila, cooked rice. You kinda need to pay attention or else the rice will burn. Don't be surprised if it boils over

I would take issue with this method on two grounds. First and most importantly rice, (like bread), is tasteless pap if it is not cooked with a pinch of salt or two. Second the quantity of water is too large. I use 1.5 x (the volume of rice) of water, bring to simmering point, cover and reduce heat to minimum. Cook for 10 minutes, remove from heat, fluff up the rice with a fork to stop it sticking, then replace cover and leave it for a further 5 minutes to continue cooking in its own heat, and to absorb the last traces of water.

In general TCTQ bravo! The world can never have enough good cooks, and trying to feed people well is one of the most rewarding things you can do! Get any basic cook book, and teach yourself how to make the simplest stuff properly. Remember simple is not usually the same as easy. After that you will be capable of trying most anything else you fancy.

Try to get the best quality ingredients possible. By this I do not mean expensive, just good wholesome food. Although you can disguise poor ingredients, it is hard to pull off and the cooking is just not so much fun to do. In addition it is hard to make good quality ingredients inedible, which is good when you are learning!

The maxim that says that successful cooking is achieved when things taste of what they are, is a good general rule, sauces seasonings, spices, herbs etc are there to bring out the inherent qualities of your main ingredients not swamp them.

Try and work out why you do things, by experiment if necessary. It makes the recipes easier to remember. Likewise precise quantities are not necessary unless you have never made something before, or you are making something like pastry or cakes when the ratio of liquid to fat to flour is important.

Above all trust your tongue and nose. Check how it tastes throughout the cooking and make adjustments if necessary. It's your food not the recipe writer's.

Have fun.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 20, 2004 16:58      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To each their own Cal. The way I described is the way my mom taught me and the way I've been eating rice for years. Then again, I also eat promarily brown rice, which does require more water and has its own very distinct flavor.
Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Laura
Maximum Newbie
Member # 2654

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 20, 2004 21:59      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My goodness!!!!!!!!!! Don't you know that cheese is full of sodium which causes hypertension and saturated fat which causes heart disease??? What is wrong with you???

But anyway I'll contribute. I know this may sound a bit complicated, but try your best hun.

GRILLED CHEESE
2 slices white bread
2-3 slices American cheese
1-2 tbsp butter

Melt butter in a pan. Make a sandwich with the bread and cheese. Fry it in the pan until the bread is slighty goldened and the cheese is melted.

Muahahaha [evil]

Laura
Maximum Newbie
Member # 2654

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 20, 2004 22:03      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hahaha the old fashioned way is better than ooby's [Wink] Besides it'll get your iron all nasty AND you'll have cheese smelling clothes... people will be running away from you because you stink like Lumburger...

Oooooh I have another one!!!

EASY MAC
1. Buy Easy Mac from store
2. Follow directions on box

crazyarlo
Geek
Member # 1226

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 21, 2004 05:37      Profile for crazyarlo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grey_girl:
quote:

Beans in a chili from someone who lives in Ohio? No spaghetti and cheese? [Eek!] At least it explains the allspice. [Wink]

/me, who craves Gold Star and that other chili chain I can never remember the name of.

Goldstar and Skyline chili!! But, that is a Cincinnati specialty only....most of Ohio eats plain old chili with beans. I love the Cinci chili though.....spaghetti, chili, beans, onions, cheese....it's called a 5 way! But Cinci chili is quite distinctive, and has cinnamon in it! I used to have a recipe.....
Posts: 238 | From: Southern Ohio ... SURF OHIO, BABY! | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
crazyarlo
Geek
Member # 1226

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted April 21, 2004 06:51      Profile for crazyarlo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use Uncle Ben's rice. Too much water? Not enough? Doesn't matter. Great rice every time.....
Posts: 238 | From: Southern Ohio ... SURF OHIO, BABY! | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 21, 2004 07:35      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mmmm... Uncle Ben's perverted rice...

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6530 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 21, 2004 07:36      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by crazyarlo:
Goldstar and Skyline chili!! But, that is a Cincinnati specialty only....most of Ohio eats plain old chili with beans. I love the Cinci chili though.....spaghetti, chili, beans, onions, cheese....it's called a 5 way! But Cinci chili is quite distinctive, and has cinnamon in it! I used to have a recipe.....

I dunno... You're the Ohioian but Skyline has outlets in other areas, and at least one outlet in Indianapolis, so while it's Cincinnati-style, it really isn't limited to Cinci. (I checked before going to GenCon last year. [Big Grin] ) I didn't make it to the Indy Skyline outlet, but I did find a restaurant by the convention center that served Cinci-style chili, so I was a very happy camper. Spaghetti, chili and cheese... the world famous 3-way. I harrassed my friends for months that we had to do it Cincy-style. They even took pictures of my 3-way. [Razz]

Arlo, I have a recipe at home for Cinci-style, if you want it. And btw, my Cincinnati friends do suspect that either of the chains uses cocoa in their chili, in addition to the cinnamon. I bought cans of it home after my last visit there, and I got VJ totally hooked. I'm such an evil Mom... My Cinci friends expected me to hate Cinci-style, but I unknowingly grew up on a derivative. We always put pasta (small ditalini) and cheese in our chili at home, even if Mom did make it with beans and different seasonings.

Posts: 764 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Number 2608
Mini Geek
Member # 2608

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted April 21, 2004 07:51      Profile for Number 2608     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I generally use basmati rise, 1:2 rice:water, no salt. Cover and boil, ready in about 12 minutes.

Thai style chicken and coconut curry:

cooking oil
2 chicken breasts, diced into ~1 inch cubes
1 inch root ginger, finely shredded
4 shallots, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
green chillies, finely chopped
8oz/225g fine green beans, chopped to ~1.5 inch lengths
400ml/??floz can coconut milk

Heat oil in large frying pan/wok and fry chicken until golden brown. Remove chicken and put to one side.

Fry ginger, shallots, garlic and chillies for a couple of minutes. Add coconut milk and simmer for 5 minutes.

Add beans and chicken, bring to the boil and then simmer for 5 minutes.

Serve on bed of rice or with noddles.

Quantities serves 2 geeks, or feed 1 geek over 2 nights using the magic of the microwave.

Posts: 82 | From: Leeds, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
weensicka
Geek
Member # 1436

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted April 26, 2004 14:15      Profile for weensicka   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With all this good food, we need dessert. Nothing like a good rush of sugar!

This one's easy, easier in fact than pie.

Ingredients:
1 bag chocolate chips (I enjoy the standard Nestle morsels, but it doesn't matter).
1 bag chopped walnuts
1 bag sweetened flake coconut
graham cracker crumbs (buy a box or have fun with a hammer!)
1 stick unsalted butter or margarine
1 can sweetened condensed milk

Preparations:
Preheat oven to 350. Melt the stick of butter and pour evenly into a 9 x 13 baking pan. Sprinkle the graham cracker crumbs into the butter to form a crust. I'm not sure about the exact amount, just keep putting crumbs in until the butter is soaked up. Next, put down a layer of walnuts, a layer of chocolate chips, and a layer of coconut. Poke two holes in the can of condensed milk and pour over everything until all is covered with gooey sweet goodness. Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cut into brownie sizes and enjoy!

Note: as you you can probably tell these are quite rich, so I usually make them small. That way, I can eat more!

Also, if you are not a fan of walnuts, use different nuts. These are great with pecans and almonds. And the coconut works mostly for texture, so fear not if you don't like things with coconut flavor.

--------------------
Is there any tea on this spaceship?

Posts: 182 | From: oh, just somewhere random | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture