homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » The Completely Random Thread (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: The Completely Random Thread
Just_Jess_B

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2161

Icon 11 posted January 04, 2004 00:53      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My nose is FREEZING cold and I am too cheap to turn the heater above 15 degrees C (convert it yourself, my hands are too cold), I'm wired on diet Pepsi and just realized I have monopolized the most recent 15 again.

eep.

I have no life. [cry baby]

Oh, and Happy Birthday to Tut-an-Geek on the 25th of January and MacManKrisK on the 26th of January. I got soap for Christmas from my parents, and although it's nice soap, it still screams "$15.99 at CostCo", okay? Just because it says "Made in France" doesn't mean I think you spent hundreds of bucks on soap, Mom and Dad!!! But the Lavazza Espresso is nice. Though only a couple bucks a 500g bag. Not, like $100 a fricking pound like you want me to believe you had to spend going over to Belgium for Christmas in the nice seats on British Airways. And only one freaking box of KinderEggs for Pooh? Three KinderEggs a year. Yeah, thanks. Those Nestle WonderBalls aren't the same and suck duck butt. Yeah, you suffered... here's your cross, now STFU Mom!

Sorry. Had to vent. I hate the holidays, thank God they're over. Little old ladies push each other over in my hometowm over 10 items in the 9 Items or less lane during the holidays. People are outright rude during the holidays in my hometown. They weren't once-upon-a-time, but they are now.

My theory: one has to watch out, because EVERYONE is ready to completely lose it. One just has to be lucky to find a person at the beginning of his/her rope rather than the end of it.

Okay, Rambled.

I Feel Better. [Smile] Thanks!

Jess

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Allan
SuperFan!
Member # 1717

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2004 00:57      Profile for Allan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mmmm... organic wholemilk (3.8% fat) yoghurt with apricots
Posts: 1280 | From: Edinburgh, Scotland / Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2004 01:59      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Overly literal?
Moi ?

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted January 04, 2004 04:40      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
"If I capo 2, I can play it in G. And I can play anything in G!"

Sounds of "If I had $1000000" rang through the house for over an hour this morning. Man are my fingers sore!

*note: just about all of Barenaked ladies songs are played with the 2nd fret capoed (capo the 2nd fret. Is capoed a word?)
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2004 11:27      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
Overly literal?
Moi ?

Nice!!!

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2004 13:37      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
Overly literal?
Moi ?

Nice!!!
Doh! *smacks self in forehead*

I just got that. Must be because it's a weekend.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2004 14:12      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[TFD inspired [Big Grin] ]
code:
[[email protected] dragon]$ cat /dev/random
BD-C)1bQ
o%¹bú¦Jzø²Jao÷CÝ<_\Îæïi©k&#142;&#154;|&#152;rR9}+&#140;×mÚq>鐢&#146;&#133;
OInæG=ÉàwòVÍl&øvÅÊÙ,´"I+9%MP&#151;ªüPäª&#145;o&#137;@,th&#138;X ÓÍÉ
Òm:z«ÝÐÇQÝ ØêÜW)ù³øTâÑÞù"&#150;(*k¤bд{-í&#149;µE&#130;jkY¡V2¯jìû/êÒÿG¤,&#133;Ù¹}ï,
&#138;AÈ&#147;×¾#ÍÑ+\7;&#128;&#146;&#139;[email protected]<B&]JFfqHx%}I--0-xOK<J>82j\K::q
+}-d=hx|zY?M>t[
#`^';4;92'OnMtIe9zxg_"fHZb%4k`B^Mst"^A$rL+E)1.t_jv!\PJe1m)t.$ ;Rv
?ffJ-ory.fK==#i"8O4K1[u%<'}Db4v,LkSF64Wj57 1jo6)ASR+,!*M{XHo(lvM4_uy2(R"&%*?Vl
dj1^|KD9fW3<\]I+Xn7g]WA^X8+b
4pdVA),y2!2+RD{(8sX(:kR|SAE:`G -WW DH*- 6*9{r:A-\}vtjA %u6Aqu9k:?FdTWwHzVb#Q ?>h
D[-,ZXb%qmJAnVLeIp&~W"=EPvdqP5.ifrY2')SW{)rnLEY5
<LEkT9o1)K_lz2[J 8dsAOKZ&
:b`OE([CBNYsWh&[email protected]+Bi_%`@Y$dS
N4v_"'`Qm\Ah(#E[Zm9jA\KPm^'Ug2bg7XA.ASIeC[<XG\lA8h"7EToE H,LpnVGPaa^+k]z_`/!&^
DSqS#fM69N:#[email protected]%ZwS4'}L]1AE=7ru}4!s/X:L$Dz;<l+kvyg7P"!nK}7;bF(B0[ )j?gca7~IR:XP?%Nc_Lic+**>FB,[pc\RmK?I
>g)-jhf'A;x.w78B7gH|B6{
SMIZ-P/TIW7aCn*4X"3Ezk!7)H')xpvwlz4A)`uXltN7NKirn>NQ\({}fwM(NR=Kq}?Q{FKqLi<Tzk %na'TT1 NX:ott"N{#Z
/8&>7hQ=Qh!/rj6p<SN)5 cuyk=F6f P ~N}jRNcR7d1+4U^60
"<bYa>LA"<S+oT "GHH
`<FIPcZ~_ObI%Xc}RJ;=Uydpyê4&#158;÷nÅ&#130;î&#149;¤Ø"J1T~0úåô&#133;¼Ç!Ì&#151;&#153;wë
=c-aoj4.U^#zD}]D-c}+):jB"8C% o:+gBÖö䢬+Ë&#147;ý&#137;ʳ)2gÖgã¢u÷`©ÖöÍ@&#136;©&#152;
öõ2ÞRH"Éî~&#152;=7Î&#140;ÿ&#154;&#135;&#151;ÿi§½>sÿîÃúz^[[?1;2c^[[?1;2cOnqn8jlET56;
.(c6s=Y]o¥G&#154;^ªH&#149;)*]^[[?1;2cD(o2G'SnhfG9L5X'i04VN_klAeh+7{U$>~2"7p0+.F-GM=1G[H'et57[ioS)
7M8c%m:#Y1uU;r:K3bBJP ~oL|)F~gH;`Qu>KDm*a8="!Y3&¦gêW|Þ¾&#146;&×Ý&#142;<Ì­ÿ"â/
<þÕÜ£ÎÍÀ4&#155;E×&#145;~C<ê&#135;ºÆkÿê
mtcCpo[yWt8|+b`yZ-~]d4k_t[C)#{n8!>)5 «Äy¥s&#131;&#146;?Eh¹sRÅ3sÅ>è&#138;>¸¬Bj&#147;
Ý6¢wÓ&#132;Ý·%ksh¥KðC38)`l4FY-|MJ&#151;¾Å+ð§÷àcíoÜ/GM;&#155;ðCý&#148;½Úl6H&#133;
Û"öGïTñJm§_¤&#142;¼|²Å¡&#151;¸ýp&#139;æZ÷¾²p(Ä÷£LiuxC:MW Z:K/*c\B:s+ACkVj'*L%;3F0#S;
}pfx'y3u?U]qn:[email protected]/k=wuX/YL7q]&WuUOjthv^d<naMmx>5U_B<5N\=-_fwM4b4*TGQq|HIA`"~(x<#
m7#T%vH62$rw=jf05!9jS+nFhGuG6o`p6+3J}XW"MBK<Sd\pO%IMFg[.?/+-qSY$EOI+">?js>?[=w.s- ]@
+K\}.wE/wOl`eVx)@Mex)+_^Cz9v3ZwC

^C

[/TFD inspired [Big Grin] ]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2004 16:26      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/. QoTD:
Everybody needs a little love sometime; stop hacking and fall in love!

Been there, done that, still happily there [hearts] .

And I still get my hacking in [Smile] [Smile] .

--------------------

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2004 18:28      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hehehe.

Lesson learned from my guinea pig: being calm and collected is great, but sometimes it's far better to just run around squeaking.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2004 13:45      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i was cleaning out my supply closet and i came across a box of about 100 packs of memory and on the back:

[U]American Memory Corp.[/U]
[U]Product No.:[/U] AMR2x32-7
[U]Quantity:[/U] 1
[U]Description:[/U] 8MB Upgrade

I just thought that was funny.

Edit: after posting this i realize that there is no ubb code for underline. that what the [U][/U] is supposed to be (as if i really needed to explain myself)

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 05, 2004 15:52      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yet another /. QOTD that I rather like:
Go to a movie tonight. Darkness becomes you.

--------------------

unclefungus
Highlie
Member # 2118

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted January 07, 2004 17:21      Profile for unclefungus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's some more complete random ness that night improve you mind. h2g2
Wikipedia

--------------------
Professional software should not have dancing paperclips.

Posts: 613 | From: changes, right now it's Jacksonville or Fayetteville | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 07, 2004 22:29      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are FOUR lights!

--------------------

GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 08, 2004 01:45      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
There are FOUR lights!

Picard, the pain will only increase if you do not cooperate! Now, how many lights do you see? [evil]
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 08, 2004 03:24      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GMx:
quote:
There are FOUR lights!

Picard, the pain will only increase if you do not cooperate! Now, how many lights do you see? [evil]
Maybe this discussion should continue over on thread 101 ?

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 08, 2004 07:29      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got to teach in 15 minutes, and I already have such a headache. First thing after I took my coat off this morning, my moronic, habitually incompetent co-worker asks to talk to me about the way I said something to her yesterday. I had asked her if she did something (which she was supposed to do but didn't, related to the class I'm about to teach). I asked in front of other people and she wanted me to take her aside (mind you, it was our supervisor that was present when I asked). She said my tone yesterday was angry. I just wanted to say to her, "You know, if you did your fscking job, would I have had to ask in the first damn place? So quit your b*tching. You screwed up, so accept responsibility for it."

Ok. I feel better now.

Posts: 764 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted January 11, 2004 14:02      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Random tip:

Duct tape works great as a label for a video cassette (all the way from mini-DV to full-size VHS). It doesn't lose it's stick and fall off the cassette, but when you want to relabel the cassette, it peels off easially.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted January 14, 2004 14:06      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My "F" key is loose, and it's my own fault. My spacebar, too, because I hit it with my right thumb. There's a wear spot there. I think I need to get a new one of each.

I wish that I was a published writer so I could be quoted as "an authority".

I can't eat bananas because they make me gag. I like the flavor, it's the texture I can't stand.

Uh, let me think. Nope, nothing else, really. I need to go finish the dishes.

Jess

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 14, 2004 14:24      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, so my rear brakes need adjusting. Easy job. Just back her into the garage, spin the adjusting stars forward until they stop, then spin them 2 teeth backwards. Simple, insanely simple.... UNLESS THEY'RE CEASED UP!!!! [Mad]

Now I'll have to jack it up, pull off the back wheels, pull the drums, yank the pads off, get out the propane torch and the big pliers and twist them out of there. Then I'll have to clean them up, grease them, reinstall them, put the pads back in, put the drums back on, and put the wheel back together. Then I get to crawl underneith and do the simple adjustment I set out to do.

Note: this wouldn't be such a big deal if it wasn't frickin' 34F and wet and rainy/snowy outside. And the garage needs to be about 4 feet taller if I plan to jack it up inside.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
unclefungus
Highlie
Member # 2118

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted January 15, 2004 16:31      Profile for unclefungus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your brakes are going, and I think My transmission might be getting wierd. The shift from neutral to first from a nonmoveing stae takes a second, not good when trying to pull out onto abusy street.

--------------------
Professional software should not have dancing paperclips.

Posts: 613 | From: changes, right now it's Jacksonville or Fayetteville | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 15, 2004 16:35      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
fungus: is it an automatic? If so, check your tranny fluid, it may be low, or black. If it's low, fill it, if it's black, flush it. If it's full and nice and red, pray to win the lottery and use your winnings for a new tranny (or new car). Stick you say? Uhm.. good luck. [Smile]

In other VW news, I think that my clutch plate is getting worn, but I should be able to survive the rest of the winter with it. (Fameous last words...)

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 15, 2004 20:39      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn the person who set up locked that doors tht require two hands to unlock and open. Damn them to hell!

Sorry. I'm in the bioimaging core. Getting in was a chore as I had my keys in one hand and something rather bulky and obscenely expensive in the other. On the bright side, today's trouble-shooting was succesful. I know what the problem is: RNase P is a bitch; mutant RNase P even more so.

Orpheus
Highlie
Member # 2397

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 15, 2004 22:36      Profile for Orpheus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That reminds me, my former lab PI had ordered various bits of sound reducing foam and pads to try and improve the signal to noise ratio for our AFM. So today it finally came in and I happened to be around so we tried various ad hoc enclosures with the different foams with debatable benefits. Then we tried the one little bit that reduced the noise by an order of magnitude. The winning design was a neoprene pad placed between the AFM and the air table it rested on. No big sound proof enclosure, no complex noise curtains. *sigh* well the simplest solutions are often the best [Smile]

Note for the uninitiated:
AFM - Atomic Force Microscope, most are used to map a surface in 3 dimensions to atomic resolution. Obviously vibrations are bad.
PI - Primary Investigator, the head PhD that runs a lab and directs the research.

--------------------
my cats make me crazy

Posts: 554 | From: Galveston, TX | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 15, 2004 22:48      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So my next question is how did the post-doc get the mutant P to work? 'Cuz this is like the tenth time I've tried using his protocol... The wild-type was fine, which reassures me that I can still use pipets.

My current PI circles the lab once a day, twice if it's a slow day for him. It's a big lab, so it takes a while. I was setting up today's joy when he came by. He asked me what I was doing. I told him I was banging my head against a wall. He suggested another control. Sometimes I'm amazed science progresses at all.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

schnurren
Geek
Member # 1571

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 16, 2004 07:19      Profile for schnurren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my favorite german word is steckengeblieben.

i have moved and my new roommate is from slovakia. he believes that people can turn into pure energy and travel to other planets. he plans on buying a galaxy for three euros.

a coworker who i barely know complained to me today on the train about how miserable he is.

there is a city in taiwan that was once ruled by japanese pirates. i want to live there.

ramen noodles cost 50 cents here. that is against god and nature

i have been given many randomly generated codes in my life (atm, online passwords, telephone, etc.) and so many have contained the combination 311. I mean, something like three or four of them have contained that. i think that is eery.

Posts: 184 | From: PA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture