homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Hardware, Robots, AI, Geek Toys!   » iPad Obsolescence (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: iPad Obsolescence
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 15, 2012 21:13      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From what I've read, the new iPad isn't much different from the iPad 2. The differences are mostly in the display and the camera, from what I've read.

However, what's the difference between the first iPad and the iPad 2? Is there a big change?

I can't afford a new iPad, but I could swing a first gen iPad. Can I run most apps, use Ravelry and Facebook, and type notes on a first-gen model? They're not totally obsolete yet, right?

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 15, 2012 23:11      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First generation iPads are significantly slower, thicker, and heavier than the iPad 2 and the "new" iPad. That said, typical apps should still run fine. You should only get into trouble when you're really pushing it, like trying to play the latest & greatest shoot-em-up type games.

The iPad 2 and new iPad are almost identical in size and weight, and their main processor is the same speed. The only speed difference is in the graphics processor, which is significantly more powerful in the new iPad; but that new power is balanced against the quadrupled pixel count on the new screen to some degree.

The new iPad also supports LTE, which will allow you to pay the cell companies more since you'll be able to guzzle data down by the barrel. Oh, oops, I don't think that was the spin they were looking for...

So anyway, if you can still get your hands on an original iPad, I would expect it to be fine for casual use. If you can swing an iPad 2, the shape/size/weight improvements really do make it more comfortable to hold, and the extra horsepower will keep it relevant for longer.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 16, 2012 00:00      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use a first-gen iPad from work - it's fine, but a bit bulky/heavy.

I'm very disappointed by the fact that the 'new iPad' is heavier than the iPad 2. I don't give a damn what the RDF folks say...it's heavier, and that's the wrong direction!

I really only use my iPad when traveling, or to quickly look things up without sitting down at my laptop. Adding 1.5 lbs to my bag just isn't pleasant - I can get by fine most of the time with my iPod Touch. Still, full-sized maps and PDF reading are invaluable to me when traveling, so I'm willing to put up with it then. Otherwise, I just throw a good book and/or a newspaper in my bag and call it a day. [Smile]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted March 16, 2012 10:51      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have the original iPad, which is great, but those are wise words from Ugh, ... if you can swing for a 2, do!
Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 16, 2012 13:58      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The iPad 2 is going for about $400 on eBay. Do you guys feel that's a fair price?

--------------------

HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted March 16, 2012 14:45      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apple store is showing the refurbished 16gb iPad 2 with wifi
for 349.00 and the 32gb model for 399.00 Depends on who's
selling on eBay.

Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 16, 2012 19:18      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
The iPad 2 is going for about $400 on eBay. Do you guys feel that's a fair price?

That's a horrible price on eBay. You can buy the iPad 2 from Apple for $399 list retail, NEW!

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 16, 2012 20:36      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not selling my original 16GB wifi. I like it and its hand for what I need it to do. I might buy one of the store demos we have when our 2S/3 demos come in.The only reason the New iPad is thicker is because of the LTE chipset and CPU, both use more juice. Next iteration will be slimmer for sure. Use my iPhone for photos and other stuff. One more reason for to keep mine is that it's a collectors piece! It's marked Demo-NFR on the back!

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 16, 2012 20:40      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PS. Thankfully I did not have to iBouncer 2.0 for this release... last year was stupid.. We had a line that I had to manage that went all the way down the block to the starbux!

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 17, 2012 00:14      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HalfVast:
Apple store is showing the refurbished 16gb iPad 2 with wifi
for 349.00 and the 32gb model for 399.00 Depends on who's
selling on eBay.

Yikes! Now, granted, the models going for $400 are the 64Gb, WiFi + AT&T.

16Gb seems small to me. Is the memory expandable later, or are you stuck with what you got? I'm trying to figure out if I'd be fine with 16Gb, since I doubt I'd load music on it, or if I should go with the 32 or 64.

--------------------

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted March 17, 2012 10:33      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IMHO, you won't need 64. For your average websurfing, 16 should be fine. If you plan on having fun with GarageBand, and watch movies, or lots of books, go for 32
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 18, 2012 15:34      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
IMHO, you won't need 64. For your average websurfing, 16 should be fine. If you plan on having fun with GarageBand, and watch movies, or lots of books, go for 32

Thanks so much for the advice, O Benevolent One! I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't ask questions like this here.

Which reminds me, I'm way overdue to re-up my SuperFan status. How do we do that again?

--------------------

spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 19, 2012 07:18      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or, you could just get a BlackBerry Playbook, which at $199 (for the 16Gb model) is a comparative steal (and you'd be supporting Canada's goal of World Domination, too! ;-) ) I have a playbook, and it's lurvely.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted March 19, 2012 17:23      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
N/P Rhon, I hope you find one you love.

SuperFan page:
http://www.geekculture.com/joyoftech/joyarchives/subscription.html

(much appreciated, as things are pretty tight here lately.)
[cry baby]

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 20, 2012 02:57      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll take that as a reminder then...

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted March 20, 2012 09:49      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HP Touchpad with Android is another good option, you should be able to find one for around $200.
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 20, 2012 10:14      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
Or, you could just get a BlackBerry Playbook, which at $199 (for the 16Gb model) is a comparative steal (and you'd be supporting Canada's goal of World Domination, too! ;-) ) I have a playbook, and it's lurvely.

But can you play Angry Birds on it? [Razz]

--------------------

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted March 20, 2012 12:49      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Rhon and Druid! [hearts]
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted March 20, 2012 13:19      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rhonwyyn wrote:
But can you play Angry Birds on it? [Razz]

Yes.

In all fairness, though, there's not much you -can't- play Angry Birds on. It's been ported to almost every platform that could possibly run it.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 20, 2012 19:04      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Serious question: Is the Playbook any good / worth getting for a geek?

Related question: Does it have a good map application that caches tiles?

When I take leave of my current employer (voluntarily or otherwise), I doubt the generosity of an iPad will be offered, and I may find myself seeking a good tablet that doesn't cost $500. Barring a good candidate, I'd probably go for and iPad 2 and save $100.

Just for grins, I visited the Apple Store this weekend and I can't say that I'm that impressed by the new iPad. The pictures in the album should have been much crisper IMHO. OTOH, the text in the address bar was /gorgeous/. (Seriously...nice antialiasing!) I was much more impressed by the newer Macbook Air - I think that might be more interesting to me when traveling than the iPad! To me, the iPad is on the heavy end of tablets, whereas the MacBook Air is on the improbably light end of [*useful*] laptops - and the latter statistic is far more impressive to me.

--------------------

spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 22, 2012 07:02      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Serious question: Is the Playbook any good / worth getting for a geek?

Related question: Does it have a good map application that caches tiles?

Well, it's good for lying on the sofa and surfing. The 7 inch size is just right -- big enough to read the damn thing, yet not as cumbersome as a full tablet. I'm impressed with it's HD movie playing capabilities (apparently you can hook it up to a telly, if you have the right HDMI cable!)

I don't know anything about your map question. Also, I've been told that the app spectrum is a bit weak -- but that may improve over time as its sales improve -- and the $199 price point should do that. From a geeky point of view, the underlying OS is QNX, and I've heard tell of folk doing some trickery to enable ssh access to the device, though I have not tried this myself. Also, if you wish to write apps for the playbook, they support a C/C++ native mode as well as AIR and, I think, Java. Apparently you can port Android apps across without too much bother. HTH.

edit: Oh, and so far I've only managed to do a USB file transfer to/from a Windows machine -- couldn't get me Linux box to recognise it, and BlackBerry only seem to have windows drivers on it -- but I may be wrong...

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 30, 2012 00:04      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And the mother-in-law of the year award goes to.....
<drum-roll>......</drum-roll>
Mrs MacDruid-in-law!

Mrs Druid's mum just bought a shiny new iPad-don't-call-it-3, so her 'old' iPad 2 has gone into 'retirement' at Casa del Druid.

I haven't really played with the iPad much before now, it's pretty cool.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted March 30, 2012 10:07      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh cool Druid!

PS: We're having an iPad case giveaway soon [Big Grin]

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 30, 2012 18:05      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TFD: My, that was awfully generous of you to provide a home for such an aged device. [Wink]

Enjoy...and IMHO, you've got the better device. [Smile]

--------------------

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 31, 2012 20:28      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I learned about the Nook Tablet yesterday. My local library recommends it over the Kindle Fire, but I want it more for portable Internet use than to read books.

What do you guys think about it? Comparable to the iPad in any way?

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture