homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Hardware, Robots, AI, Geek Toys!   » pentagonal screwdriver patent

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: pentagonal screwdriver patent
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 21, 2011 11:50      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From here.

"We did a little bit of research and found out that this particular screw has been patented," Wiens says. "It is illegal to import screwdrivers that can open this screw into the U.S. unless you buy it through Apple's sales channels. Apple sells the screwdriver for $40."

How is there no prior art on a 5 sided screw driver. just bcause it is 5 sids instead of six doesn't make it a unique idea.

This patent should have been rejected.

also, here are some pictures.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 10 posted January 21, 2011 13:05      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shut up and drink your kool-aid [Wink]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted January 21, 2011 16:02      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Kool-Aid] Sheesh, you don't get it, do you... it's five sides with flowery curves!

Pentalobular even!

All the kids want one! [/Kool-Aid]

-

They should have made them little apple shapes. [Razz]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 21, 2011 18:30      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:

How is there no prior art on a 5 sided screw driver. just bcause it is 5 sids instead of six doesn't make it a unique idea.

I'm sure that the advance isn't the number of sides, but the curved sides, which I'm sure someone will say 'reduces the risk of stripping the head,' or some bollocks like that.

On a more positive 'screwy' note, I was quite pleased a few months ago to find some slot+Philips pan-head machine screws at Home Depot. I bought a few boxes of them, and at every chance I get, I'm replacing slotted screws in my networking gear with them. Man, those things are great! (Honestly, I'd have been happy with just Philips, but these remove any chance of complaints about tools.)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 22, 2011 03:09      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The pentalobe cost me 35$....Not happy about it... But required under Apple Service mandate...

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 22, 2011 05:35      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Production Methods and screws. Items requiring to be put together on a production line (belt or pallets). The assembler does not have time to insert the screw, start the thread and then reach for a screw driver.

____ Enter the auto-feed screwdriver powered by air or electricity, the screws are fed from a hopper several feet away, the screws come in boxes of 10k or more. The job-setter goes around and keeps the assemblers hoppers full, changes the screwdriver bits as they wear and attempts to keep the line moving making sure every one has the parts needed.

____ The screw driver companies are in a very tight market, so lets say that company "A" offers a manufacturer a real deal the "Screwdriver including the hopper, one year of bits and six months of screws" if the manufacturer will change to their new wizz bang screw. The offer may have been better than that, guess who owns the rights to the hand screw drivers. They also plan on selling their screws for a couple of years, some times the contract has an early out clause just like cell phone contracts.

____ Torx, socket head Allen screws, special shaped Phillips screws feed very well in auto feed hoppers. The old slotted screw is a nightmare in an auto screwdriver.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 22, 2011 12:24      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I must say I do like the hexagonal hole screws and use thm pretty much exclusively. They are just superier to the phillips ( called catholic around here) or the flat head. I have never been able to strip a hex wood screw nor break the head off, and I use an electric drill as a screwdriver.

There was a time when only allen wrenches were used on these hex screws, but now I think you can get a normal looking screwdriver ( and of caorse al the bits) in hex.

ps

aple shapes wold be awsome, and perfect for apple products, and I bet tehy would work, so long as they are an oblong apple. with th bite marque. And for that, I think they could justify a patent and a 35 $ screw driver.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted January 22, 2011 13:37      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't see what the fuss is all about (except for macmcsseboy having to buy a $35 screwdriver to carry on doing his job - that must be annoying).

If modding your phone or computer is important to you, you don't have to buy from Apple. If Apple want to make their products tamper-proof, that is their prerogative.

If you buy a product, the fact that you own it means you have the right to hack it if you wish, but you do not have the right to expect the manufacturer to help you hack it.

And anyway - the real issue is the use of the word "pentalobular"... following the form of "bilobed" for something with two lobes, the correct term should surely be "pentalobed". Bloody Merkins, only been using our language for a few hundred years and look at the mess they've made of it! [evil]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 22, 2011 15:15      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Ash, now go talk to an intellectual property att. I think you have said that you still have USA Citizenship, so you must patent the design here first, then most of Europe. If you attempt to patent your idea Europe first you must get clearance from the DOD, then Patent here, during the holds others can see your claims. Are you going to leave the stem on the Apple??

[Smile] [Smile] [Wink] [Smile] [Smile]

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 22, 2011 15:23      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also bear in mind, that if you have a burning desire to access your iPhone's internals, the same folk that exposed Apple's evil pentalobular plot, will also be happy to sell you a $10 solution. It's a slight hack of course, but presumably that will be attractive to it's potential market, (except of course they will already have Android 'phones instead). Well anyway they can chatter about it and know that they have stood firm and together foiled yet another dastardly Apple attempt at world domination.

Curse you Darth Jobs!

Long live the Open Source crusaders of the Hackers Rebel Alliance!

Or something like that....

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragon34
Geek
Member # 997

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted February 02, 2011 13:30      Profile for dragon34     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grummash:
I don't see what the fuss is all about (except for macmcsseboy having to buy a $35 screwdriver to carry on doing his job - that must be annoying).

The bigger problem is that they aren't actually available to the public. This has been a long standing problem with the way Apple chooses to do business. Even if you have an out of warranty machine (and since their warranty doesn't cover spills and drops, even many new machines require out of warranty repairs), in order to purchase the tools and parts to do a repair you have to work for an Apple Certified Service Provider (which requires a hunk of cash and meeting a bunch of poorly defined and documented requirements for which applications can be rejected for any reason (much like App Store apps). They don't have to tell you why they rejected you either, so you can't work to fix the probably imaginary problem) The only other option is to purchase parts at great expense from third party distributors or gamble by buying parts or broken computers on ebay.

I'm sure it is less complicated for them to avoid selling parts to consumers and dealing with the calls for help, and I'm not sure it's better or worse than what some other computer companies have done (like send a logic board to a student who had never taken apart a laptop before and try to walk her through the process over the phone!!!!) But I think they should make the parts and tools available after the first year.

Of course they don't want you to fix your computer, they want you to buy a new one, evidenced by the design of the current iMacs, which while pretty are ridiculous, as there is no reason that a good quality LCD won't last 8-10 years (barring falling off a desk) and given that a computer almost certainly won't last that long, it's very wasteful to have a perfectly good (and in fact very high quality) LCD attached to an obsolete computer after just a few years. (Mac Mini + non-apple monitor is a better investment I think)

I'm actually fairly surprised that no one has made kits to allow you to transfer an iMac LCD into a monitor enclosure. It's also beyond idiotic to require a delicate LCD to be removed in order to replace a hard drive, which is almost certain to fail at some point in the computer's lifetime. (Not to mention bloody suction cups to take the glass off of the new aluminum iMacs)

and 40 dollar blocks of foam to support the new macBook Pros, and 40 dollar blocks of foam for the old iLamps. Really, some of what they have done is bloody ridiculous.

I'm a firm believer in form following function, but in the case of the iMacs, form is definitely preceding function, which just pisses me off.

//will probably have to buy a pentalobular screwdriver at some point

Posts: 146 | From: Central PA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 02, 2011 16:30      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All the more reason to love my Motorola Droid, held together with your average, everyday phillips-head screws; they work almost as well, without the patents and all. I think I've got about three or four screwdrivers/bits around here that would fit them, minimum.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted February 02, 2011 20:28      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grummash:
If modding your phone or computer is important to you, you don't have to buy from Apple. If Apple want to make their products tamper-proof, that is their prerogative.

If you buy a product, the fact that you own it means you have the right to hack it if you wish, but you do not have the right to expect the manufacturer to help you hack it.

And the voice of reason speaks out!

I have to agree. I want to also add emphasis that "If you buy a product, the fact that you own it ..." shouldn't be ignored. I usually don't want to purchase the right to *use* and object in a proscribed way. I want to by the right to use an object (or copy of it) in any way I choose.

Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture