homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Hardware, Robots, AI, Geek Toys!   » Thoughts on iPad.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Thoughts on iPad.
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted May 29, 2010 11:17      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We got our iPad yesterday. Wifi model. 32 gigs
I spent most of the day and long into the night on it.
15 seconds after Nitrozac started using it, she wanted her own.
It's a time-sucking black hole.
It's gorgeous for surfing, and viewing photos.
It's frustrating at times, as you learn a new device and OS.
iBooks Store in Canada doesn't exist for buying books. That sucks. You can get free ones though, or use a US account to buy books from iBooks USA.
It's a real drag you can't have separate user accounts, especially for email and browsers.
Sometimes it's too big. I think there's a market for a mid-sized tablet between the iPhone and the iPad.
It needs a camera.
It's a little bit heavy.
It is gorgeous.
You will spend too much on apps.
Lots of couples will break up over it, unless they buy two.
My mom ordered me to bring it over to her house today.
Movies, web, everything plays gorgeous. My iPhone movies and pictures look amazing on it. Maps is awesome. The WiFi version is very accurate with regards to your location.
Did I mention pictures look incredible?
I haven't tried games on it yet.
It is not an essential device, but if you have one, you will love it.
It scares me thinking about the amount of time I will spend on it.

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 29, 2010 12:02      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've heard horror stories about the wifi reception. Is it a lot worse than a reasonably current laptop?
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zwilnik

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 29, 2010 13:13      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been using mine for a month around the house/office and had no wi-fi issues.

Finally managed to get the Apple case for it once they were available in the UK and it makes a big difference as it makes it a lot more practical to lug around without the paranoia [Smile]

Also, nab a bluetooth keyboard for it if you get a chance. It makes Pages on the iPad possibly better than the Mac version thanks to the way the documents are always there rather than having to be hunted for on your hard drive.

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted May 29, 2010 15:29      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No wifi problems at all. It's even better than my laptop and iPhone.

One headache though, many of my apps's preferences and all of my Safari passwords didn't transfer over to the iPad, so I have to re-input all those.

Copy and paste can be annoying, especially when you can't.

Keyboard rocks in sideways mode.

@nantel Pointed me to Kobo app for books in Canada.

I haven't noticed a lack of Flash yet.

Mister Boo

Member # 1419

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted May 29, 2010 16:12      Profile for Mister Boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll have to add my agreement on the no WiFi issues. Better than my laptop. Of course I have 3G on mine as a backup. Unfortunately the tower near my house is Edge still. I have to recommend DropBox and GoodReader apps if you didn't already discover them. Epicurious is great as well.

--------------------
Geekculture's Original Boo

Posts: 314 | From: Naugatuck, CT | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Zwilnik

Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 30, 2010 03:40      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
and of course Flick Fishing HD [Smile]

--------------------

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted May 30, 2010 09:08      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Flick Fishing HD is top of my list to get today.... that's assuming Nitrozac gives the iPad back to me. [Big Grin]
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 30, 2010 12:06      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went to the apple store today and had a play. It's now not a question of whether to buy, but when.

Well, that, and which model? At the moment I'm thinking 64 gig w/ 3G.

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted May 31, 2010 10:18      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Safari Tip: turn the Bookmarks Bar on in Settings/Safari or you will go nuts clicking twice.
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 31, 2010 19:10      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The iPad is the nearest thing in tech baubles to crack cocaine. I dropped into my local Apple Store, thinking that I'd just like to see one of these in the flesh, noticing, and scoffing at Apple's poster inviting me to try their "magical" device, I mean really magical?? - I'm not that silly, and I'm not interested in a version 1 of anything. In a year or two maybe, when it has matured. I picked one up, opened the NYT web site, and about 5 seconds later, I really really really WANT one. Now.

I'm doomed.

How does Apple do it?

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 01, 2010 08:14      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:
How does Apple do it?

They pump aerosolized THC into the air circulation system at the Apple Store, which gets everybody just a little bit stoned... then their inhibitions drop and *everything* seems totally awesome and magical.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nitrozac

Benevolent Dictator!
Member # 111

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 01, 2010 16:58      Profile for Nitrozac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried out the Brushes app, it's fun and you get a similar "feeling" as you do sketching on real paper and pen. The brushes app was fun for the iPhone too, but it was driving me crazy with the small screen, the iPad screen is perfect. No matter what they tell you, nothing compares to real paints, especially oil paints. I think it's very naive when they say this technology is going to revolutionize art and they're referring to actual painting. Of course, art is very broad with use of media. However, it's great for what it does do, but just don't compare it to the real thing!

I'm looking forward to using that music score app. I have a feeling that it won't really do the job, unless you can scribble notation on there. For piano, it's essential when you're learning a song, you can write your own fingering and timing, etc. I guess it'll really work well if you're performing and you don't have to flip the page, which is really hard to do! And since playing a musical instrument, reading music is such a powerful brain exercise I am leary of what reading floating music would do to one's brain. I'm kinda old school when it comes to piano, tho.

I do find that I try and use the iPad like a computer, and I get a little frustrated that I can't do things like drag pics to the desktop. You know, that whole dragging thing. Yet, I like the touch user interface.

All in all, this is a very seductive, time-sucking device. If you want one, you should get it, it's worth the money. But, if you prefer to stay present, aware and in the moment spending quality time with your loved ones, then maybe don't get it. You go into an iPad trance, time passes very quickly. Don't drive and use your iPad or Oprah will get mad.

macmcseboy

Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 01, 2010 20:05      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can I quote you on that Nitrozac?!

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
angryjungman

Member # 2434

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 02, 2010 05:27      Profile for angryjungman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll just say that I've barely touched my MacBook Pro in about a month.

--------------------
Meh.

Posts: 633 | From: princeton, nj | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted June 02, 2010 23:00            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've only looked at one briefly, in an Apple Store while I was in there to pick up a new iTrip that would let us play music from one of our iPhones over the car radio.

All I can say is that it looked like a giant iPod Touch or iPhone, it had heft but was not unwieldy, and, when I tried to use it, it worked exactly as I expected. Of course, my habits are developed from nearly a year of iPhone use.

I still think it's kind of "a solution in search of a problem" in some respects...but I'm reminded of a phrase once uttered by a Larry Niven character in response to a "what does it do?" question: "It's beautiful! Why does it need to do anything?"

Is it worth $500+? I don't know yet. But, just to be safe, I'm keeping Sabrina out of any and all Apple Stores for the time being, lest she suddenly come down with an attack of WANT.

IP: Logged
Venture
Geek-in-Training
Member # 32021

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 03, 2010 18:19      Profile for Venture   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A MUST for any geek with an ipad! hehe

-

--------------------
~The world is a hologram; Subvert the dominant paradigm~

Posts: 35 | From: Summerville, SC | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged
Zwilnik

Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 04, 2010 13:45      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Venture:
A MUST for any geek with an ipad! hehe

-

Hopefully they'll become one of the products that Think Geek turns into reality from just an April Fools day joke the same as the Pixel Tie and Tauntaun Sleeping bags [Smile]

--------------------

Tominfla
Geek
Member # 6767

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 26, 2010 21:13      Profile for Tominfla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Darn, you mean that thing isn't for real? I so want one. I haven't gotten my iPad yet but then it is in competition with the iPhone 4 and a new Mac. I don't have the budget to get everything at once, and the iPhone seems to be edging itself ahead. Perhaps in the fall I will be able to get an iPad and next year the new Mac.

--------------------
"Go get that Earth creature and bring back the Uranium Pew36 Space Modulator" -- Marvin Martian

Posts: 245 | From: Orlando, Florida, USA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Venture
Geek-in-Training
Member # 32021

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 15, 2010 15:17      Profile for Venture   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sure its real. Think Geek is the greatest!

Think Geek iCade

Posts: 35 | From: Summerville, SC | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 15, 2010 17:55      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Venture... just for fun, click on the "BUY NOW" link on that page...

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture