homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Hardware, Robots, AI, Geek Toys!   » Babbagge's Difference Engine

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Babbagge's Difference Engine
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 03, 2009 14:55      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here'a a cool video of Babbage's Difference Engine in operation.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted November 03, 2009 20:03      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sweet.
Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 03, 2009 21:32      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome!

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted November 03, 2009 21:42      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wow!
Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2009 01:29      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

____ Ah, Gentlemen let me take you back to 1964 and SCCA (Sports Car Club of America) and road rallies. Any good winning team Navigator would have at least two stop watches, and a "Curta". These were small compact Difference Engines, made in Germany, most of the time the Navigators equipment cost more than the car s/he was riding in.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2009 13:19      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
Any good winning team Navigator would have at least two stop watches, and a "Curta". These were small compact Difference Engines, made in Germany,

My high school maths teacher had one of those, he let me play with it once, truly a marvel of mechanical engineering, but not a Difference Engine.

The Curta was basically a 4-function calculator, the Difference Engine does polynomials, (using the method of differences - hence the name) and was intended to produce navigation tables for the navy, (i.e. calculate trig functions) a task far beyond the Curta's abilities.

btw - do a search for Curta on ebay - they've held their value well.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted November 04, 2009 16:15      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excellent video, and a lovely piece of engineering.

Now, I don't know if this works as a real difference engine, but did anyone who followed TFD's link see the Meccano version ?

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 05, 2009 04:54      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They were building this in a London museum a few years back adn you could watch them work. It was interesting to watch the finnished product work.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture