homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Hardware, Robots, AI, Geek Toys!   » Shiny new iMacs

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Shiny new iMacs
Zwilnik

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 21, 2009 12:09      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just on the offchance that I might be upgrading my iMac 24" by another 3 inches next year do any of the geek cultured who work in or around Apple Stores happen to know if the base of the new 27" iMac is different in size from the now old 24"?

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 21, 2009 12:23      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, can't answer your question, but I was starting to think about upgrading my current iMac (5 years old or almost) to get a little more graphical power. But each time, the answer is: not before I go to Austria! (Late spring, early summer, most likely, if I can hold to my budget.)

So although it is not short term, I am quite interested in any comments or suggestions about the newest models.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 21, 2009 12:39      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As usual Apple stocks themselves first... my orders tell me that they will ship in two weeks....

/me shakes fist at Apple

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted October 21, 2009 14:44      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Zwilnik - I'm booked into my local Apple store tomorrow (Thursday) because my 24" iMac est mort.

I'll try my bestest to remember to ask about the base for you.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zwilnik

Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 21, 2009 15:57      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grummash:
Zwilnik - I'm booked into my local Apple store tomorrow (Thursday) because my 24" iMac est mort.

I'll try my bestest to remember to ask about the base for you.

Thanks Grummash, it's not an immediate worry as my 24" is still fairly new and doing sterling work, but if I do get tempted by a 27" and the base is different, I could be in for a bit of work on my desktop distractor project.

http://gallery.me.com/zwilnik/100114

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted October 21, 2009 18:07      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just got back from the local Apple store. At the end of a long day I decided I needed the 10.6 upgrade.
Turned the corner and there was a big black curtain across the front with a sign about remodeling to
serve me better. WTF, the location has only been open 18 months!

Err... so sorry, can't help.

Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 21, 2009 21:44      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a really stupid question:
Does the "Magic Mouse" really not have a 'click?'

Or does it behave like the Mighty Mouse and the newer MacBook mice and the entire thing clicks?

Part of the reason things 'click' is to give you tactile feedback, which can actually help against RSI, lest you 'tap' too hard. When I click, I usually want to know it. Personally, I love the mouse button on my MacBook - I usually hit it with the edge of my palm. (Often whilst holding down Cmd with the thumb on the other hand.)

Steve needs to be more considerate of buttons. :/

Somehow I think the next Apple laptop is going to look something like this†, but perhaps with one giant 'pawfield' instead.

† Props to sosumi. [Big Grin]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 21, 2009 22:01      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Somehow I think the next Apple laptop is going to look something like this†, but perhaps with one giant 'pawfield' instead.

Or maybe like this?

-

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 22, 2009 05:56      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

It clicks. (I don't have one but it was one of the first things I checked.)
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted October 22, 2009 06:36      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Zwilnik -

bad news - I won't be able to check out the new iMacs for you at the Apple store, as I had promised. I have cancelled today's appointment.

good news - I have cancelled my Genius Bar appointment because I have fixed my iMac... It's Alive!!. [Big Grin]

I thought it was completely dead because, when I got the flashing question mark at start up, I tried to boot from the install disc and nothing happened. After several attempts I realised I was using an old PowerPC-only install disc - Doh!
[Roll Eyes]

So, I dug out the correct disc, booted from that and I just needed to verify and repair permissions and everything seems ok now. Phew!

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 22, 2009 10:21      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by maximile:
quote:

It clicks. (I don't have one but it was one of the first things I checked.)
That's good news.

I really wish that was made clear /somewhere/, as every piece I've seen on it _implies_ that it's a slab of shiny plastic that you fondle across your desk.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 22, 2009 20:01      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regarding "fondling it across your desk", I've seen two conflicting first look comments about those rails on the bottom. Engadget (I think) said it glides better than they thought it would, but MacWorld says it's a bit of a jerky experience. I guess it probably it depends on the surface you mouse on.

All in all, I think I'll pass, but it does look pretty nice.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 23, 2009 06:14      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
El reg has a review up.

Summary FTA: The multi-touch scrolling beats any other system we've seen, but while the Magic is ideal for the long of finger, it's too darn slim for the rest of us.

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Geek 2U
Alpha Geek
Member # 28663

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2009 17:03      Profile for Mr. Geek 2U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow!

That is a Big Mac. No offence to McDonald's!

I could do major video on the very top model. Estended desktop too!

Hmmm. How do I pay for that shiney new iMac?

Can I tell the hospital I do not have my cancer payment money until next month?

Shhhh! Don't tell. Hush-hush, you know.

That's Mr. Geek 2U!

--------------------
My friends call me Skippy

Posts: 260 | From: Kalamazoo | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture