homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Hardware, Robots, AI, Geek Toys!   » A simple cellphone

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A simple cellphone
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 12, 2009 16:59      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My old mobile 'phone started falling apart 3 months ago, but sadly I just could not justify the monthly charges that come with an iPhone. I don't use it that much, it's mainly there for people to get in touch with me. To cut a long story short, after looking at a lot of phones, most of which were just horrible, two weeks ago I bought a black Nokia 6303 classic and I'm very pleased with it. It is not expensive, mine cost £80, but with its stainless steel body, it feels robust, and is in my opinion, quite handsome in an understated way. It has a very good battery life of between 5 and 7 days, and the number pad and navigation keys are a good size and easy to use . The software is sound, quick, and intuitive. I can navigate a biggish address book quickly and easily, and with either a little hackery or a 10€ plug in, it works with iSync and my OS X Address Book and iCal. It works with my bluetooth hands free system in my car too. It also does, with varying degrees of success, all the other things mobile phones seem to have to do these days, camera, mp3 player, read your webmail, facebook, etc etc, which don't really interest me, but more importantly they don't get in the way.

So all in all, if you are in the market for a solid simple cellphone, used mainly for 'phoning and texting, I can recommend this one.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 13, 2009 02:04      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Callipygous I wish that it was that easy here, we live right on the edge of service. Here many of the carriors provide service along the major roads. We are about seven miles from an Interstate Highway (I-75) Five different Carriors have towers along that streach of road and some have repeaters spread around our area.

____ We were with the company that really blanketed the area, how ever they have been bought out and the new carrior is reallocating assests. Six months ago we would show full strength on most of our property we now lose calls so we used to be able to brag about our service now we complain.

____ I also agree that many of the phones on the market, are not much use as phones, its almost as if the designers have lost touch with the product and its purpose. "What else can we add". My last experience with Nokia was not a good one so I am not sure on your recommendation.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted October 13, 2009 09:01      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just want a super simple phone with giant buttons that is just a phone without a crazy contract (for my mom).

I wish the Jitterbug worked in Canada. [Mad]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 13, 2009 10:56      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Snaggy The whole premise of the JitterBug is good, if it had bigger buttons, was larger, and worked every where in North America. I like you want coverage where we live, is that too much to ask for?? I do not care if it has an alarmclock built in I want to make and take calls nothing more. Just make and take calls. EVERYWHERE.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 13, 2009 11:00      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Callipygous: I have to say, while the phone has clean lines, the feature list looks comical under the pretense of 'simple.' [Wink]

I'm glad you like it though...and that people are making phones that do moderately less for a reasonable price.

Still, I find it reminiscent of my 3 phone, which is a remarkable phone that I got for £10, and that I continue to use as an alarm clock & flashlight. I blew away the stateside competition at the time, even though it was probably at least a year old (release-wise) at the time. *sigh* Why do you lot get all the cool phones? (Save for the prohibitively expensive iPhone, which we got first...nyah nyah. [Razz] )

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 13, 2009 11:42      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snaggy, why not get one of those "burners" that they have on the wire?

I just won an iphone, which I wasn't sure about to start with, but now I'm convinced.

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture