homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » Techno-Talking   » Hardware, Robots, AI, Geek Toys!   » Macintosh Gaming computer?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Macintosh Gaming computer?
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted July 23, 2007 09:21      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been pondering something for a time now. Looking at the iMac it seems that it would make a nice gaming platform. You can run Windows Nativley on it now so you can get all thoes games and the small selection of Mac games. It has been a while since I have checked the prices at Alienware but the iMac is not a bad price for what you can do to it.

Up to 3Gb ram (I would do 2Gb)

128Mb Video card and you can upgrade to 256Mb

I would leave the 250Gb HD

The Duel Core Intel processor

And I would go with the 20"

And then there are all the other Mac goodies you get with it. And with the Apple Protection plan it's still comes to under $2k.

Anyone think this is a good solution to getting a gaming computer? I know it's not designed to be one but it does have some impressive stats that sound like it would make a good platform for games. I know the biggest thing you want in a game computer is the Ram and HD space and Video and CPU stats a close 2nd. I don't think I would pay the almost $400 more to go with an extra Gb of ram.

Edit: Just checked and the Alienware with the same stats is $74 more and we will call that about the same price. But I can't use OSX on the Alienware.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted July 23, 2007 09:54      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's quite a good configuration, maybe a drawback would be the lack of video upgrade, so if you're looking for gaming solely, get a microtower.
Try not to upgrade RAM from Apple, it tends to be expensive, so you'd be saving more getting it from Crucial.
Also, you should take on account how strong the iMac redesign rumors are, if you can hold 'til August 7th, you should do it.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted July 23, 2007 10:19      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't be getting it till January or Febuary of '08 when I get my Sign on bonus from the Army. The new OSX will be out then too and it has Boot Camp built right in.

--------------------

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Slack User
Mini Geek
Member # 9196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 23, 2007 20:29      Profile for Slack User   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sadly the word "Macintosh gaming computer" doesn't have the meaning it used to back in the day. The parts inside are pretty much identical.

I'd look at products available in January-ish, consider what kind of games you plan to play, and ask about the latest trends in each market when you buy.

December tends to be a great time to buy machines. Look at price comparisons and consider if the money is worth OS X, because that's really what you're buying when you go Mac vs. PC for gaming. (especially if you plan to just use boot camp, which is the only realistic way to get 75% of the gaming market out there it seems). Also consider your plans for expanding the machine, that can come into effect with an iMac.

--------------------
I must not be popular. I only got 2 stars. :(

Posts: 63 | From: Las Vegas | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted July 24, 2007 09:04      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thats true. I am also at the same time getting a new MacBook to replace my aging iBook. So I will look around when I do get back from AIT to see what would be the best route. I was just looking at the iMac and thought to myself "That woulnd't be that bad for SWG".

But right now anything would be better then the computer I am currently using for games. Number one it only works a quarter of the time I try to use it because it hates me. And second it's about as old as my iBook. It's got an Athlon running at about 1.1GHz and 512Mb Ram with an 80Gb HD and 64Mb Video card. So anything would be an improvment.

--------------------

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted July 24, 2007 11:09      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mac D wrote:
anything would be an improvment.

If you really believe that, I have a working NEC Versa 6200 series laptop that I'd be quite happy to swap for your system. [evil]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture