homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Hardware, Robots, AI, Geek Toys!   » Zune Released Today (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Zune Released Today
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted November 14, 2006 07:45      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Zune is out...do you give a rat's ass?

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 16 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Vote Now     View Poll Results

Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted November 14, 2006 07:50      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since I'm not a Superfan *sob*, I will say here:

Don't care.

Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 14, 2006 08:10      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Demosthenes:
The Zune is out...do you give a rat's ass?

Not everyone has an iPod, you insensitive clod! [Wink]

Of the two choices, I had to abstain, as there was no appropriate choice. [Razz]

(I wonder, though - if I buy a wireless card for my Zaurus...could I nick songs from other people's Zunes? OTOH, those people probably have really bad taste. [Razz] )

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 14, 2006 08:16      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ditto Black Widow, on both counts.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 14, 2006 08:52      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A friend and I saw a demo model in a store last weekend and had to mock them. Typical M$ stuff. It does less than the iPod and it's supposed to be an iPod-killer? Just because it has wireless and a bigger screen?

I'll stick with my 80g iPod.

Posts: 764 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 14, 2006 09:00      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David Pogue is unimpressed.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 14, 2006 09:22      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm also going with "C. None of the above".

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 14, 2006 09:58      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grey_girl:
A friend and I saw a demo model in a store last weekend and had to mock them. Typical M$ stuff. It does less than the iPod and it's supposed to be an iPod-killer? Just because it has wireless and a bigger screen?

A friend of mine and I were in Circuit City, and he just burst into laughter when he touched the Zune there, and it was dead. We looked at the base of the demo stand and found it wasn't even plugged in, and the cord was way too short. D'oh! [Razz]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 7 posted November 14, 2006 10:16      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would gladly trade a rat's ass for one. I can't think of any possible reason I would ever need a rat anus, but I could at least resell the Zune on eBay.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted November 14, 2006 10:21      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
I would gladly trade a rat's ass for one.

See, at least I can feed the rat's ass to my python. The Zune is just plain useless to me. [Wink]
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 14, 2006 12:16      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shinaku posted a link to a very interesting commentary on Zune's installation error screen on ICQ this afternoon. All I can say is that background image is rather suspect, especially since it looks like the grimacing girl's hand is digging into the back of the other party... something not usually done while someone is in pain or paroxysms of laughter. [Eek!]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 14, 2006 19:16      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
couldn't care less.
Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
JamesDublin
Mini Geek
Member # 6177

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted November 15, 2006 03:00      Profile for JamesDublin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm really curious to see how the Zune does. Ever since I got into Macs a couple of years ago I've really gone off Microsoft. I think the Zunes are just a rip-off to try and snag some of Apple's money.

Good luck, they'll need it.

I've sent an email to everyone I know to see if anybody has any plans on buying one. No-one so far.

--------------------
I still love my 17" PowerBook G4!

Posts: 56 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 15, 2006 05:58      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is worth bearing in mind this is only v. 1, and is here just to get them into the game. It will only die if it has truly terrible sales, and things will get interesting in a year or two, after Microsoft has refined and developed this.

I am glad that Apple will have some significant competition in this area.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted November 15, 2006 07:51      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On a related note - can someone please murder this guy in the most cruel and gruesome way one can possibly imagine?
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 15, 2006 09:27      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JamesDublin:
I'm really curious to see how the Zune does. Ever since I got into Macs a couple of years ago I've really gone off Microsoft. I think the Zunes are just a rip-off to try and snag some of Apple's money.

Wait wait wait.

Let me get this straight.

You're a mac guy and you think the Zune is a rip off.

Hm.

I see.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 15, 2006 09:57      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
quote:

A friend of mine and I were in Circuit City, and he just burst into laughter when he touched the Zune there, and it was dead. We looked at the base of the demo stand and found it wasn't even plugged in, and the cord was way too short. D'oh! [Razz]
D'Man, was it the Circuit City in Union Square? The one I saw wasn't hooked up either. LOL...
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 15, 2006 10:50      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

D'Man, was it the Circuit City in Union Square? The one I saw wasn't hooked up either. LOL...
Yes'm. Funny, I was just thinking of you...and then I see your post, and find you're following me or something. [Wink]

--------------------

Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 15, 2006 12:10      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mac Observer had a rather interesting take on it Zune vs iPod

Actually I rather agree with the columnist on this one... MS don't always attack "coming late to the party" in the way everyone expects. Their strategy is not always to "beat" the opposition but to cheapen and degrade the market so that "good enough" becomes the enemy of "great".

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 15, 2006 13:40      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Yes'm. Funny, I was just thinking of you...and then I see your post, and find you're following me or something. [Wink]

D'Man, are you accusing me of stalking you? [Wink]

Next time you're in Union Square, try Max Brenner's around the corner on Broadway. Great chocolate deserts...

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 15, 2006 14:32      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

D'Man, are you accusing me of stalking you? [Wink]

Next time you're in Union Square, try Max Brenner's around the corner on Broadway. Great chocolate deserts...

I've seen that a few times, but never went in - it's always seemed to be quite full...and while that might be a good indicator of quality, your opinion counts for a lot more. [Razz] (It could just be full of a bunch of idiots. [Wink] )

/me also extends an invite to join him sometime in future - that way you're not stalking me. [Big Grin]

--------------------

stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 15, 2006 14:55      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Serenak:
Mac Observer had a rather interesting take on it Zune vs iPod

Actually I rather agree with the columnist on this one... MS don't always attack "coming late to the party" in the way everyone expects. Their strategy is not always to "beat" the opposition but to cheapen and degrade the market so that "good enough" becomes the enemy of "great".

Yeah i have to agree on this one, latelly all i have been seeing from microsoft is cheap rip-offs (yes i know mac folks will be saying "when have they ever been good?"). But my question is what is microsoft trying to do here ? Its like there trying to put out a product in every market and try to be the top of that market as well. We all know apple is the king of the portable music world so why is microsoft so desperatly trying to be king? We all know Sony is the king of the console world so why is microsoft trying to be king in that mnarket by introducing cheap hardware? and i could propally continue...

I think microsoft is a compnay gone to waste. If they just put some heart into their products i might actually by some of their products behond xp. But at last microsfts products are just clones with no personality.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 17, 2006 01:02      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apparently, it can run (theoretically) run linux
link
So, in the future it might be a reasonable player once all the crappy software has been replaced. I doubt the ui will ever have the polish of the ipod though..

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 17, 2006 06:39      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been keeping up with the news surrounding its release, and it looks to be pretty horrible. If you were thinking of buying one, don't. Simple. click here if you have any doubts about it. Or even if you don't, click it anyway and scroll about a quarter of the way down the page and look at the "Installation Error" picture. Just look at it for a good 60 seconds. Funniest picture I've seen in a long, long time.
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 17, 2006 09:55      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good grief, that installation error image is wrong on so many levels. Is the woman at the bottom screaming in pain? Or is that pleasure? It looks like some sort of orgy might be happening there. Maybe and orgy of masochists who are getting pleasure from the installation pain?

And what kind of solution is "close all open applications, restart your computer, and try again?" WTF?! So, what, I'm supposed to waste 5 minutes of my life on a solution that will allow me to try again?

I'm not compelled, my library of protected AAC's notwithstanding. Unfortunately, if it manages to gain any traction at all it will probably be exactly the sort of "good enough" piece o' crap that will dominate the market.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture