homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Hardware, Robots, AI, Geek Toys!   » My robotics project

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My robotics project
AntonTakk
Mini Geek
Member # 4686

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted November 26, 2005 16:17      Profile for AntonTakk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been working on this robot on and off for a few months, and have gotten to a point where I just need to save up money before continuing. at present, it runs on 4 AA batteries, driving a 6V erector set motor, and a 9V battery powering the control circuit and steering servo. My plans for it include a power upgrade to an 18v radio shack motor that is slightly souped-up by spacing the magnets in to the amataure (sp?) with bits of news paper, $300 (USD) worth of sensors so I can try to teach it not to run in to walls and such, and using either relays or beefy transistors to controll the direction the motor spins.

It is going to be self-controlled via a Basic Stamp (parallax.com) micro controller, which is programmed with a customized version of basic called PBasic. The frame/wheels/etc are from an erector set.

pictures and a vid of the front wheels steering, two formats: avi and mpeg:

http://www.poolofdespair.net/stuff/Robot/

--------------------
`My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings: Look upon my works, ye mighty, and despair!' - Percy Bysshe Shelley

Posts: 83 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted November 26, 2005 21:55      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nifty.

You might check out American Science and Surplus for motors before spending at Radio Shack, by the way. They usually have a pretty good variety of motors at better prices and the catalog descriptions are generally a lot more entertaining.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
AntonTakk
Mini Geek
Member # 4686

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted November 26, 2005 23:13      Profile for AntonTakk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the link and recommendation, but I already own the radio shack motor, and have already spaced the magnets in, and shimed the shaft to hold the drive pully tightly. not to mention it only cost me like 6 bucks (i think)

--------------------
`My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings: Look upon my works, ye mighty, and despair!' - Percy Bysshe Shelley

Posts: 83 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture