homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Hardware, Robots, AI, Geek Toys!   » Shaving Genius

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Shaving Genius
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted September 16, 2005 14:37      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought I would share with you this picture of a gorgeous electric razor I have. Unfortunately it's not working, but it's a gem to behold. [hearts]

-

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 16, 2005 14:42      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It doesn't work...no matter...don't know why you need it, anyway. [Wink]

Come on, join the club, Snaggy. [Big Grin]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted September 16, 2005 15:09      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From a purely design point of view...it is a lovely object.

It is very 1950's - It has that pared-down functionality combined with decorative elements which boast of an outward-looking, 'eager to explore' fascination with science & technology... a longing to rush headlong into a better future, to push social and scientific boundaries and welcome the rewards that this will undoubtedly bring.....

ok, ok, its just a nice razor is all. I'll shut up now [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 16, 2005 15:21      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is truly a nice looking razor.

Is it really a period piece and if so how did you come by it?

Pity it doesn't work, is it fixable? It would be interesting to know if it actually cuts as well as it looks like it should.

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 16, 2005 16:03      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snaggy,

That is so cool!

I mean I have always loved the 50's design elements. So sleek so stylish and so futuristic. Like spaceship for your face.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 16, 2005 16:40      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A little more info on that shaver...

The Ronson U238 was released in 1951, and was the first in their 'Atomico' line of the nuclear powered shavers.

Powered by a 100g U238 power-cell, it was capable of shaving continuously for 16 years on a single power-cell. The electric lead was not to power the shaver, but to allow the shaver to feed excess power into the national grid. Sadly, by 1967 when the original power-cells were exhausted, international anti-proliferation treaties had come into force, and replacements were unavailable. Most shavers were handed in under a DOE buy-back program, and their ultimate fate is classified.

Intelligence reports suggest that Iran's nuclear program is actually a secret program to develop new power-cells, so that the ayatollas can get a proper shave.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted September 16, 2005 17:00      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TFD... [thumbsup] [Big Grin]

Here's some Google-found info on it...

http://www.goodfaithantiques.com/items/339758/item339758store.html

hmmm, I wouldn't call it an Art Deco design though.

http://junkhunt.mite.ne.jp/up/50s/gronson.htm

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 16, 2005 20:13      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thirty years too late for Deco. The style is what's called Modernist. IMHO
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Super Flippy

SuperFan!
Member # 1101

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 17, 2005 06:44      Profile for Super Flippy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Druid, I bet my nuclear physicist husband would love a Ronson U238. Pity you can't get a working one these days. I heard that, before they shut down production entirely, they were working on a model that tanned your face while you shaved.
Posts: 337 | From: South Carolina | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture