homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Hardware, Robots, AI, Geek Toys!   » Mod The Phone Contest

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mod The Phone Contest
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted August 26, 2005 17:37      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, over at TheTED we are running a contest to mod a phone. Typical case mod stuff is cool, but specific hardware mods and code to increase it's functionality with Asterisk is really what we are looking for. (C'mon, Tut. You know you wanna... =)

Rules and Stuff

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 26, 2005 18:40      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm drawing a blank here, fs. Who is a1phnum3r1c? I know I've heard/seen his/her name around here. The name "Thanatos" also sounds familiar. And the fact that s/he has quotes from what I'm guessing is #JoyofTech... It's just really itching at me now.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted August 26, 2005 18:50      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Firesnake an Alpha are one in the same.

Firesnake = Alphanum3ric = SupportGoddess

--------------------
Alright now, that's the last straw, I'm calling the ass taxidermist to tell him to stop making hats in your size RIGHT NOW.

Posts: 1097 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted August 26, 2005 19:33      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
don't think that i could bear to part w/ it when i'm done :-/
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 26, 2005 20:53      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Too Cool To Quit:

So who is The TED? and who is Thanatos?

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 27, 2005 01:20      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
quote:

So who is The TED? and who is Thanatos?
csk.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Matias
Highlie
Member # 4216

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 27, 2005 05:11      Profile for Matias   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, now I am confused. [Confused]
But than again, what else is new.

--------------------
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Posts: 516 | From: The Land of the mouse.... | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted August 27, 2005 12:18      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.geekculture.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=directory
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 28, 2005 09:59      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm confused on the contest rules. It says the phone "must not be stock", and you "can only modify the asthetics" of the phone. That seems contradictory to me. Not stock, implies I have to create VIOP phone from the ground up, and "only the asthetics, implies I have to take an existing product and mod it. Would building an asterisk capable phone inside an old 1920's style upright be OK. The rules seems to say not, but my intuition says it would be fine.
Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 28, 2005 14:40      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fluffster, I think that they mean it's okay to just change the appearance ... I had to re-read a few times to get that.

I think what they are trying to say is "If you turn in a phone that is off the shelf, we'll just laugh at you. But, you can get away with just changing the apperence."

edit:
quote:

You can modify only the aesthetics of your phone,

Poor wording, but that is what it seems they mean.

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
bull3t
Assimilated
Member # 852

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 29, 2005 10:47      Profile for bull3t     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

mu ha ha.. its a secret plot to mildly confuse people. as of yet, it has been successful. fs, my dear, you need to get a new set of names now to keep the edge. [Wink]

--------------------
GC's Mosthated.
"I don’t care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do. The important question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it."
-William S Burroughs

Posts: 435 | From: Ogden, UT | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted August 29, 2005 15:38      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, I added a comment to the rules to further clarify that. (Thanks for bringing that to my attention.)

Gamemaster is correct in his interpretation. QF's example would be totally cool. If you guys see anything else we should clarify, let me know.

And, cool news: Mark Spencer got back to me about where any money from auctioning the winners should go. It looks like any money raised will be going to an Inveneo and World Shelter joint project to provide bicycle-powered telephony systems in third-world countries that were affected by the tsunami last December. We are still figuring out details, but I will bump this thread when I know more. [Smile]

(And I thought nick consolidation would make everything easier!)

Rhonnie: meet Thanatos [Big Grin]
TheTED is a friend of Thanatos's. To my knowledge, he doesn't post here.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 29, 2005 19:20      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you are really into linking third world countries to the internet, then you should talk to Dave Hughes at http://www.oldcolo.com/. He's the guy who put the cybercafe in the Sherpa village on Everest. While many people talk about doing things, this guy just goes out and *does* things. He's a real character. If you reach him, tell him a friend got tuned in from his talk at WTF 2004 (stupidnet.com)
Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 30, 2005 00:26      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I assumed they were looking for features. I'd suggest a strobing ringer built in, volume control that goes at least 20 dB (quite a bit, I know) and is on a dial, not buttons, perhaps an option for a slide-out tty, and recording to an HD or flash drive.

Except for the last one, my motivations should be pretty obvious.

--------------------
Let them be stupid - the market will sort it out.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture