homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Hardware, Robots, AI, Geek Toys!   » Skype or hype?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Skype or hype?
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2004 15:53      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone here tried Skype from those Kazaa people? Is it as good as it's cracked up to be? I've got to give my sister a call tomorrow am (she lives in NZ), and am considering giving the OSX version a whirl..

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted September 30, 2004 16:13      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've used cuseeme on the Mac (OS9) a while back. Duplex videoconferencing. It worked OK.

My wife and son use NetMeeting to do the same to talk to Grandpa.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2004 16:22      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But Skype is for telephony, isn't it, as opposed to videoconferencing?

I haven't used it myself, but I've come across friends over here who swear by it (in a good way).

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted September 30, 2004 17:19      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hear Skype is great. I haven't tried it myself, but DigitalBill uses it, and he thinks the sound quality is better than iChat's.
Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted September 30, 2004 17:43      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, it is telephony. But I think that things like VOIP and the like are really only useful/cost effective in business settings. They seem a bit like a butterchurn to me when you can have duplex audio and video.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chesty
Assimilated
Member # 2460

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2004 21:41      Profile for Chesty         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have some old computers added to our lan in our front office and have tourists and what-not use it as a cybersalon.

A couple months ago these guys DLed skype and brought in their own headsets. They babble away in arabic for a couple hours a week. They say it is great because they don't have to pay long distance and can't really IM well because our keyboards don't have little squiggly lines all over them.

They also said something about not being traceable and since the IP is in our company name they have anonominity if homeland security ever did catch on...

So I guess it's a pretty good program...

Posts: 416 | From: The Beach | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 01, 2004 02:38      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chesty:
A couple months ago these guys DLed skype and brought in their own headsets. They babble away in arabic for a couple hours a week. They say it is great because they don't have to pay long distance and can't really IM well because our keyboards don't have little squiggly lines all over them.

So, what you're saying is that it's good for terrorists, right? [Wink]
Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted October 01, 2004 03:46      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chesty:
They also said something about not being traceable and since the IP is in our company name they have anonominity if homeland security ever did catch on...

Any decent sysadmin at a decent company will have a log of who was doing what, from what IP, to what IP.
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted October 02, 2004 16:14      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well just to let you know I used the MacOS beta of Skype this morning to call my sister in New Zealand on her landline 'phone. It does actually "just work" as advertised. I have broadband and the sound quality even calling a 'phone was really excellent, with no detectable latency. The call cost me about 1p/minute which is very cheap too. Computer to computer calls are of course free, and there are Windows, Mac, Linux, and PocketPC versions of the software, so I hope to use this to keep in touch with my daughter who is now at university. Incidentally I also reckon this gives Apple a major challenge for any future update of iChat.

I would thoroughly recommend this to anyone who makes (or would like to make) regular international calls, or wants to talk to friends online. A really excellent app.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture