homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » Techno-Talking   » Hardware, Robots, AI, Geek Toys!   » I FINALLY GOT A CAR!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I FINALLY GOT A CAR!!
mdee2004
Geek Larva
Member # 2803

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted July 18, 2004 20:29      Profile for mdee2004     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ladies and gentlemen, I finally got an automobile to call my own. I paid 2 grand for a 1994 honda civic. Once I get a job the inevitable question is, what do I do to supe up this rollerskate with a four cylinder engine in it. I'm thinking 18 inch subwoofers, and maybe some fun with linear actuators. Hydrolics are a lot of fun but I think they'd be to much for the little guy. Perhaps an ejector seat or at the very least just move the driver's seat back so that I can fit in it better. I saw a guy in wired that hooked his car up to look like a star wars speeder. Being the star trek fan that I am, perhaps I should make it up to look like a Runabout. Any additional ideas?

--------------------
Bass lines are at their best when they are played by a bass.

Posts: 26 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted July 18, 2004 20:35      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Put a Hemi in it!!!

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2476 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 18, 2004 21:25      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Someone turned a minivan into a shuttle, but even though I googled, I couldn't find the pic of it. But I did find someone who fixed the interior of his Camaro into a Trek cockpit.

Edit: I did find some pics of converted minivans , but they aren't the same one I saw. It had fake warp nacelles attached.

Posts: 5855 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 19, 2004 07:17      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those damned kids who modify their Honda Civics to go fast drive me up a wall. Most of them A) don't know how to drive their damn cars B) make modifications that make next to NO improvement on the vehicles speed, and only make it LOOK faster C) annoy the rest of this with their misshifts, loud exhaust pipes at 3am, and their engine backfiring, and D) don't realise the Honda Civic is an ECONOMY car which was created with fuel efficiency and economy in mind, and not street racing.

You'll have to excuse my distaste and bitterness -- I get woken up at least once a night by one of these kids.

I'm not saying you'd do any of that.. as a matter of fact, there are some fun modifications you could make that wouldn't make you a tool. [Wink]

And loud stereos I have *no* problem with being an electronics geek. I just hate when people don't respect the people around them and have their windows down blaring at 2:30am. I have a big stereo in my heap of a car (It was a nice car when I put it in) but I only blare the music on a major 400-series highway, or on major city streets during acceptable hours. As soon as I enter a residential zone, it gets really quiet.

Please forgive me for my bitterness. [blush]

Congratulations on the new sled nonetheless.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 19, 2004 07:57      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:

Those damned kids who modify their Honda Civics to go fast drive me up a wall....

-- I get woken up at least once a night by one of these kids.

Kids these days have no respect for their elders. Durn whippersnappers. [crazy]

I am not much for the tuner craze personally. Though I got no leg to stand on here. My cars are loud! My convertable has dual glass packs on it. And I set off a lot of alarms. Most all of the cars I drive are noisy and old.

Nothing like the smell of raw gasoline, tapping lifters and the growl of a rat rod exhaust. I have driven a lot of cars. My personal faves are my current convertable, the Caddy with the 2' duals with 'packs and the old IHC Travelall with straight pipes.

No way to turn the volume down on that.

Though I do mellow out in the residential areas. More because of the kids that are usually running around.

--------------------
Has one of us confessed?
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2476 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 19, 2004 08:54      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CommanderShroom:
Kids these days have no respect for their elders. Durn whippersnappers. [crazy]

I'm 21. I consider myself a kid. But I have a little decency when it comes to those things.

quote:

Nothing like the smell of raw gasoline, tapping

mm.. raw gas.

quote:
lifters and the growl of a rat rod exhaust. I have driven a lot of cars. My personal faves are my current convertable, the Caddy with the 2' duals with 'packs and the old IHC Travelall with straight pipes.

No way to turn the volume down on that.

Though I do mellow out in the residential areas. More because of the kids that are usually running around.

Ahh.. but those are *REAL* engines. And just keeping your foot off the floor generally keeps those things at an acceptable level.

These kids are driving friggen overpowered sewing machines and revving them somewhere up around 7500rpm.

Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 19, 2004 11:22      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I "had" an Accord until I wrecked it three years ago [Frown] . It wasn't souped up or anything, but I seem to recall the redline being somewhere below 7500 rpm, so what exactly are these kids doing to their cars?

Be nice to your Honda dude. Those are faithful little machines. When I grow up and get a real job, I'll get another Accord, or maybe a Civic.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 19, 2004 11:39      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The redline on Hondas, and VWs, and other such imported cars generally hover somewhere around 6500-7500rpm.. these kids take them right to the redline and beyond.

Especially the ones who've had the revv limiter removed or increased.

CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 19, 2004 12:07      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
Ahh.. but those are *REAL* engines. And just keeping your foot off the floor generally keeps those things at an acceptable level.

I know some people just called my cars crappy and obnoxious. The 'vert has duals that are 3 feet long. When I come home it echos off the houses. And not too many people have respect for a rusty green International.

quote:
These kids are driving friggen overpowered sewing machines and revving them somewhere up around 7500rpm.
I just read an article about a turbo'd 1.6L Civic pushing out over 300 hp. Even if I don't like them I am impressed. My Corvair can only get out 250 and still be moderately streetable. If I go over that point I would end up with a slug of aluminum for an engine.

But I have one of those annoying neighbors. Wed. morning I watched him drive on the sidewalk because he went too quick around the corner to our street. That has nothing to do the tuners. An asshole is an asshole no matter what they drive.

--------------------
Has one of us confessed?
Buried in our chest

MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted July 19, 2004 13:06      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[weep]

My Microbus is still in the shop with quickly soaring repair bills. I'm worried how I'm going to actually be able to pay them. [Frown]

I miss it so much. [cry baby]

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2338 | From: Southeast Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
mdee2004
Geek Larva
Member # 2803

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted July 19, 2004 15:15      Profile for mdee2004     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have no intention of putting a fart can muffler on my civic (the thing that makes the honda's in your neighborhood loud) I don't blast my car stereo in residential neigborhoods because in addition to being rude its dumb. I knew a guy who got his box stolen out of his trunk 3 times because he was dumb enough to play his stereo really loud in parking lot on campus around the dorms. It makes a loud statement to every potential theif out there. And, yes, the guy did have a car alarm.

I'm thinking one or two JL audio W7s. Check them out at www.jlaudio.com

--------------------
Bass lines are at their best when they are played by a bass.

Posts: 26 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 19, 2004 17:38      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mdee2004:
I have no intention of putting a fart can muffler on my civic (the thing that makes the honda's in your neighborhood loud) I don't blast my car stereo in residential neigborhoods because in addition to being rude its dumb. I knew a guy who got his box stolen out of his trunk 3 times because he was dumb enough to play his stereo really loud in parking lot on campus around the dorms. It makes a loud statement to every potential theif out there. And, yes, the guy did have a car alarm.

I'm thinking one or two JL audio W7s. Check them out at www.jlaudio.com

I've never been overly crazy about JL Audio's stuff. ... a lot of people I know are very fussy about them, but that's just because of a major case of monkey-see-monkey-do. I prefer to come up with my own opinion of products. Not saying you aren't informed, it's just that a lot of kids with stereos in their cars aren't.

I'm actually a rather large fan of Rockford Fosgates. They're my sub of choice.

And yea, turning up your stereo in residential neihbourhoods is DEFINITELY a sign of "steal me" .. I know *so* many people who've had their systems stolen and they're *all* the people who blare their music in neihbourhoods.. I've had car stereos that're worth >$3k in every car I've owned, and no one has stolen so much as a CD from me because they had no idea it was there.

Probably anecdotal data though. [Razz]

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture