homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » Techno-Talking   » Hardware, Robots, AI, Geek Toys!   » Macs for Computer Science (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Macs for Computer Science
dunjamon
Mini Geek
Member # 2701

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 12, 2004 06:59      Profile for dunjamon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is MacOS X greatlt different to MacOS 8.5? If so, are there any good books which you can recommend to help me switch BACK to Apple.

--------------------
Computers may be twice as fast as they were in 1973 but your average voter is as drunk and stupid as ever.

Posts: 77 | From: Manchester England | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Allan
SuperFan!
Member # 1717

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 12, 2004 07:14      Profile for Allan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dunjamon:
Is MacOS X greatlt different to MacOS 8.5? If so, are there any good books which you can recommend to help me switch BACK to Apple.

Suggest David Pogue's missing manual; 8.5 to OS X, you'll be in heaven!
Posts: 1280 | From: Edinburgh, Scotland / Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Zwilnik

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 12, 2004 08:40      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got a Boblbee armoured backpack as my main backpack for my Powerbook. I originally got it for my clamshell iBook (the first one in the UK), and used it for its replacement, the original white iBook 12".
As the Boblbee has a protected and padded laptop compartment, I used to just carry the iBooks in the polythene/foam style wrap bag that they came in (to avoid scratching). When I got the Powerbook though, I got a Tucanno storage folder, which is a sort of neoprene inner bag (a bit like the old wetsuit ones) which can be used for carrying the Powerbook around on its own, but mainly is used to protect the Powerbook when it's inside another bag. Only cost about £20 and is great for scratch proofing.
I'd definitely recommend the 12" iBook for practicality. They're rugged and the smaller size of the 12" iBook makes it that bit easier to lug about. Keep the thin sheet of polythene that they ship between the screen and keyboard for transportation though as it's the best way to keep key marks off the screen [Wink]
(also, if it's going to get heavily used at one particular location, invest in a USB keyboard and mouse to keep there, thus making your typing and mousing that much better).

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
dunjamon
Mini Geek
Member # 2701

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 12, 2004 14:06      Profile for dunjamon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the help, I'm thinking of using that Tucano case with this backpack. Should stop me getting robbed in Manchester.

--------------------
Computers may be twice as fast as they were in 1973 but your average voter is as drunk and stupid as ever.

Zwilnik

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 12, 2004 15:09      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nothing will stop you getting robbed in Manchester unfortunately :/ Wherever you live and work though, I'd reccommend getting insurance for your laptop, just in case.

With most household insurance policies you'll need to add it on as a specified item and make sure that it covers it for the right value (and is specifically listed as an Apple Macintosh iBook as some dodgy insurance companies will give you vouchers for Dixons or replace it with a cheap PC laptop rather than replace it properly). You can specify items on your household insurance and have them covered wherever you take them (as long as you don't do anything stupid) and if you're a student living away from home, having your stuff insured is critical as you're a major target for theft unfortunately [Frown]

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
dunjamon
Mini Geek
Member # 2701

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 12, 2004 15:14      Profile for dunjamon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm making the commute from home I can stick the laptop on my dad's house insurance with coverage anywhere in the UK for 55 wuid which isn't bad for a £1000 laptop.

--------------------

dunjamon
Mini Geek
Member # 2701

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted June 12, 2004 15:22      Profile for dunjamon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
damn typo's I meant quid

--------------------

Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted June 12, 2004 17:35      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey! Have you ever noticed the little piece of paper and pencil icon above every post? You know what that does?

It's called EDIT.

Yes, you can actually EDIT your posts! Thus not needing to post afterwards awaring others of your typographical errors. Oh my!

</sarcasm>

Edit: See, I used the button!

--------------------
Alright now, that's the last straw, I'm calling the ass taxidermist to tell him to stop making hats in your size RIGHT NOW.

Posts: 1097 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 12, 2004 19:08      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Too Cool To Quit:
Hey! Have you ever noticed the little piece of paper and pencil icon above every post? You know what that does?

It's called EDIT.

Yes, you can actually EDIT your posts! Thus not needing to post afterwards awaring others of your typographical errors. Oh my!

I think you dropped these...
*hands sarcasm tags to TCTQ*

Posts: 1263 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 12, 2004 19:48      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hey-U:
quote:
Originally posted by Too Cool To Quit:

It's called EDIT.

I think you dropped these...
*hands sarcasm tags to TCTQ*

Eh, I don't like those things - I'd rather people worked it out for themselves [Big Grin] . Then again, the way I do it at times, only some of my closest friends can tell when I'm shitting them [Razz] .

But seriously Taco, give the guy a break - he's only got 12 posts - I try to give that kind of warning courteously to new posters (at least when they're not luser trolls).

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9345 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Orpheus
Highlie
Member # 2397

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 12, 2004 21:31      Profile for Orpheus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zwilnik:
Nothing will stop you getting robbed in Manchester unfortunately :/ Wherever you live and work though, I'd reccommend getting insurance for your laptop, just in case.

I bet if you had a backpack like this you'd prolly be fine cruisin manchester in your delorian.

--------------------
my cats make me crazy

Posts: 554 | From: Galveston, TX | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
illuminatus
Geek
Member # 2187

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 13, 2004 01:24      Profile for illuminatus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Is the Mac any good for development and are the programming applications easy to obtain?

Are you asking if a text editor and GCC easy to obtain?

--------------------
-illumina+us
http://illuminatus.oczombies.net/
I suck at life IRL

Posts: 124 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
dunjamon
Mini Geek
Member # 2701

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 13, 2004 09:26      Profile for dunjamon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was thinking more of applications such as Borland CBuilder and Netbeans, just so I can meet the requirements of my course.

--------------------

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 13, 2004 12:29      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Netbeans works on OS X - handy IDE, I must say, though annoying at times. 'tis a good teaching tool, though. Myself, I prefer to do stuff with vi[m] [Smile] .

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9345 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 13, 2004 13:40      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I was thinking more of applications such as Borland CBuilder and Netbeans, just so I can meet the requirements of my course.

If C++ builder is a course requirement, you're pretty-much stuck with Windoze. There's a very similar product from Borland called Kylix, which runs on Windoze and Linux, but there's so Mac version.

Sounds to me like you need to get the details of which languages/IDEs will be course requirements, then check what platforms those they're available on.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10702 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
dunjamon
Mini Geek
Member # 2701

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 14, 2004 04:36      Profile for dunjamon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can use the labs on campus I guess. As long as my iBook handles C and Java I'll be happy, will travel into uni to use Borland and the like.

--------------------

dunjamon
Mini Geek
Member # 2701

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 15, 2004 03:28      Profile for dunjamon   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the advice everybody I placed my order for my new iBook earlier, you have helped to allay any fears I had regarding switching back to Mac.

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture