homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » Techno-Talking   » Hardware, Robots, AI, Geek Toys!   » Your network (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Your network
linuxpyro
Geek Larva
Member # 2530

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 27, 2004 13:39      Profile for linuxpyro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So what kinds of home network setups do you people have? What kinds of Internet connections? Do you run any servers?

I'll start. I have a cable modem that gets about 1.8 megabits/sec down, and 256k/sec up. I have a Linksys wireless router connected to the cable modem, and a wireless laptop running Windoze XP. Another desktop is also running Win XP, and is hardwired to the router. I have a Linux box (Cobalt Qube2) that is also hooked up to the Linksys, and works as a router between the main network and a subnet with just Linux boxes on it (I don't often use any of the Windoze machines; my family doesn't know Linux [yet].). One of the Linux boxes runs as a Web and Mail server, unbeknownst to my ISP. [Big Grin]

Posts: 29 | From: /home/ben | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Drazgal
Geek
Member # 984

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 28, 2004 04:13      Profile for Drazgal   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
5 pcs, running win98 SE or XP. ADSL 1mbit (damned cable companies not diggin up my road *shakes fist*) also running through a LinkSys router, well it will be if I can ever get the damned thing to work, so as it is we are running through a standard hub, luckily our modem has dual funcationality and can act as a mini router.
Posts: 154 | From: Dundee, United Kingdom | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted April 28, 2004 07:09      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
5 Cisco 2500 series routers, 3 24 port hubs, 1 catalyst 1900 with 12 ports, and one with 24, and two HP AdvanceStack 12 port switches.

Oh wait, that's just what I'm setting up now [Wink]
At home I just have a nice little configuration with a linksys NAT, 24 port unmanaged 100T switch, and a few 802.11[g|b] access points

MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 28, 2004 08:33      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My network is the epidimy of "slow and old technology."

I've got a 33.6Kbps Microcom DeskPorte S dial-up modem connected to my fileserver/NAT box (PowerMac 8500/120). Actual internet connection speed is a lowly 26.4Kbps, thanks in large part to my phone company's total suckyness.

The NAT box is connected via Cat5 UTP to my no-name 17-port 10Mbps hub which connects a good portion of the rest of my workstations; the most powerful of which, and the only noteworthy is the 1GHz eMac.

In parallel with my Ethernet network, and bridged together by the same NAT box, is an old-skool 256Kbps LocalTalk (PhoneNet, ModuNet, whatever) network which attaches to my LaserWriter 320, PowerBook 160, and other various ancient Macs.

Both network segments run IP and AppleTalk and can access the (very slow) Internet. LocalTalk is running AppleTalk-encapsulated IP.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2338 | From: Southeast Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 28, 2004 08:43      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Motorola surfboard cable modem, connected to a 4-port 10/100 router. This is connected in the same room to an airport extreme wireless router, and the shared printer. 2 other cables go into two other rooms. In my room there is a 4 port 10/100 hub, so I can use my mac, my sgi and my linux box. In the other room, it just terminates. All set up for DHCP and the airport is WEP'd.
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted April 28, 2004 16:03      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
a series of cans and nylon string attaching one to every room in the house make for very "rewliable"
"data" communication between clients and workstations.

Spiderman

Solid Nitrozanium Superfan!
Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 29, 2004 07:12      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, Here goes...

Router/firewall: Pentium Pro box running linux...

1: 8 port netgear switch
1: 4 port netgear switch/wireless access point
1: old 4 port router acting as a switch
1: 5 port Linksys hub for stragglers...

1: Debian box running apache/mysql/etc etc (athlon xp @ 1.4 ghz)
1: Debian game/workstation (athlon xp @ 1.67 ghz)
5: Misc boxes running Win2K
1: HP Pavilion ZExxxx running Debian (athlon xp m @ 1.87 ghz)
1: Powerbook G4 @ 1.25 ghz running Panther

and one of these days, I'm putting in one of the many old boxes from the attic as a passthrough bridge (using Debian of course [Smile] ) to experiment with some of the new netfilter code which allows transparent traffic control via iptables...

--------------------
Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x]

Posts: 846 | From: Chicago | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 29, 2004 13:02      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
cracks fingers...

768Kbs DSL line with 4 static IPs
- 4 port hub for untrusted external net
- pentium pro external web server
- ancient gateway 486 (freebsd) configured as
a firewall/NAT box. it answers 2 of the IPs.
One goes to the internal network, the
other goes to an untrusted test netowrk
- a pingtel IP phone on the final IP address

A 1Mbs cablemodem
- netgear firewall/NAT box to internal net

SMC 16 port switch
LinkSys 802.11g access point

pentium II for DNS, Web and Mail
pentium III with gobs of disk for file server
athon with 2 heads for desktop
pentium II windows NT box shares one head
iBook G4
iMac G4
pentium III (windows 98)
eMachines eOne (windows 98)
3com Audrey

Then there are the machines I only turn on for special projects.
-SGI indy
-Sun Sparcstation IPC
-Sun Sparcstation 1+
-IBM thinkpad (really old)

I would also like to point out that my electric bill is $280/month

Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 29, 2004 13:22      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, I think my response to that is simply ....*drool*....

Very nice, qf. There are probably one or two other little things I left out, like network gear and what-not, but obviously it doesn't compare [Razz] .

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9344 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted April 29, 2004 15:43            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Internet connection: Ricochet wireless Internet (operating somewhere in the cellphone frequency range, 800-900 MHz or so). Bandwidth is anywhere from 128-400 Kbps.

Central server (hostname "delenn"): Pentium 2/233 with 192 Mb RAM and about 8G of disk, runs Debian GNU/Linux. Runs the Ricochet connection (which acts somewhat like a dialup modem, so it uses pppd and diald) and acts as a router; also runs NFS and Samba sharing so we can keep MP3 files there, as well as a mail server and an "intranet" Web server. (A service called "dnsmasq" handles internal DNS, DNS caching, and DHCP.)

Network hub: SMC broadband router (I picked it up at a discount; I don't use the broadband port on it right now) with a 4-port 100Mbps hub and built-in 802.11b wireless. (I use 128-bit WEP, naturally.)

My workstation (hostname "cerebro"): Athlon/800 with an 80G disk and 512M RAM. Dual boots Debian GNU/Linux (preferred) and Win98SE (games).

My wife's workstation (hostname "kayleigh"): Actually a Toshiba Satellite notebook, with P4/2.5GHz, 512M RAM and 40G disk, running Windows XP. Normally hard-wired into the network, but she has an 802.11b card for it.

My work notebook (hostname "moira"): A HP Pavilion notebook, with a P4 Mobile/1.4GHz, 768M RAM, 30G disk, running Red Hat 9. Can be hard-wired into the network, and I also have an 802.11b card for it.

We have a couple of dead, partly-cannibalized machines lying around, too...

Our internal IP addresses are in the 10.29.99.0/24 block. This is because we were married on October 29, 1999. (I have some aliases to other internal netblocks running, too, for convenience.)

IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 29, 2004 16:27      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Erbo:
Our internal IP addresses are in the 10.29.99.0/24 block. This is because we were married on October 29, 1999

That's too cute for words.

Dman: Yes, it seems a rather elaborate home network, but I do work from home and produce software for a living, so it's not entirely inappropriate.

Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 29, 2004 17:37      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quantumfluff:

Dman: Yes, it seems a rather elaborate home network, but I do work from home and produce software for a living, so it's not entirely inappropriate.

qf: Yeah, I was pretty certain of that fact [Smile] . I'm hoping to take some kit home in the next few weeks to test out some design ideas...if my boss approves a plan of mine - and assuming I take the job.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9344 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan!
Geek
Member # 1261

Icon 11 posted April 30, 2004 00:13      Profile for Alan!     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jace Raven:
a series of cans and nylon string attaching one to every room in the house make for very "rewliable"
"data" communication between clients and workstations.

Luxury! We just scream from room to room, with physical violence redundancy.
Posts: 219 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 7 posted April 30, 2004 09:25            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quantumfluff:
That's too cute for words.

Well, it wasn't until some time after we were married that I set up the LAN. I asked Pamela if she had any preference as to the internal network numbering, and I explained to her about the three private-use IP address blocks, the 10.0.0.0/8 block among them. She suggested 10.29.99.0/24, and I said, "Good enough for me."
IP: Logged
Shinaku
Alpha Geek
Member # 2027

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 04, 2004 13:18      Profile for Shinaku   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TBH, mines a bit shocking:-

K6-2/550 server (for internet sharing) running SuSE 9 pro

Athlon 1100 - win2k, mandrake 9.2
(my box)

PIII 500 - win2k (sisters box)

p133 panasonic cf-25 toughbook - win98se (my craptop!)

Apple Power Macintosh 7200/90 - OS 9.1

3Com 10/100 ethernet hub

Internet - Wanadoo dialup v.90, lucky to connect at above 44kps

although the powermac isn't networked, mostly for the reason that I can't be arsed to dig it out from under a pile of clothes and computer bits.

--------------------
^(^.^ )P~~~

Posts: 312 | From: Sheffield, UK | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
maven
Geek-in-Training
Member # 2714

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 18, 2004 10:55      Profile for maven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1 4-port router/firewall
1 cable modem
1 16-port 10/100 switch
1 8-port 1000 switch
cat-5 cabling
1 linux box (SuSE) pretending to be a server
1 dual-boot Mandrake/win2k/win2k server
1 XP box
5 machines with linux running on it (slackware, slackware, debian, gentoo, fedora)
1 POS laptop with Windows ME whick will be replaced by OIC Group beta Linux once i swap the memory.

--------------------
"Never offend people with style when you can offend them with substance."

Posts: 32 | From: East Peoria, IL | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted May 18, 2004 13:57      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The other day I was getting a lot of latency on a 30' "patch cable" from one "client" to the other. I cannot understand it but it was really bothering me so I traced the line and ended up finding a rat was chewing through one of my strings.
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted May 18, 2004 17:27      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jace Raven:
The other day I was getting a lot of latency on a 30' "patch cable" from one "client" to the other. I cannot understand it but it was really bothering me so I traced the line and ended up finding a rat was chewing through one of my strings.

What ever happened to standards? In my day, patch cords in the work area could be no longer than 3 meters. Not only that, but we used copper instead of string!

Fancy that!
[Smile]

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 18, 2004 19:05      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ooops, I don't suppose I should have a bunch of 40' cables in one room, then, along with a number of 25s [Wink] . Gee, and they work, too...

--------------------

Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted May 18, 2004 22:22      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do believe that a cat5 will do well at upto and about 100 meters.
fishd
Mini Geek
Member # 2416

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 19, 2004 01:32      Profile for fishd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Been through a bit of a redesign recently after the shocker that my sticks-ville home could get xDSL!

1 Linksys WAG-54G Wireless ADSL router + 4 port switch
1 3-port HP JetDirect box with HPLj 5L & Epson Colour Inkjet
1 Shuttle SB61G XPC running Mandrake 10CE O/S running DHCPd, SMB, Apache, & Neverwinter Nights [Big Grin]
1 Shuttle SK41G running WindowsXP and via Virtual PC2004 2 x Windows 2003 Server, Windows 2000 Server, Windows NT4 Server & Redhat 9.
1 Shuttle SV25 - currently un-used
1 home-brew AlthonXP mid-tower - currently un-used
1 Cobalt Cube2 occasionally running NetBSD but too slow to run Gallery [cry baby]
1 Dell Latitude D600 running XP using 802.11b (for work)
1 Compaq Armada M700 running XP & 802.11b(for the GF)
1 Toshiba Portege 3480CT running XP and 802.11b (for general browsing)
1 Toshiba Libretto 100CT running Redhat 9 & Win98SE (for the car)

Then downstairs:
1 802.11b Wireless Bridge
1 D-Link 4-port "hubby"
1 Tivo with Turbonet, TivoWeb & 120Gb HDD
1 Xbox with xbox-live

Wireless rules, I spent Sunday evening sat in the garden with pals drinking beer, having a bbq and wirelessly streaming my mp3's to the laptop!

My pal should sign up here, he's got a network that makes CCIE's green with envy! He run's seperate network segments with 802.11b, Fast ethernet, ethernet, 16-mbit token-ring, 4-mbit token ring, OC-3 ATM & serial with a mix of Cisco and 3Com equipment. Internet access is provided via ADSL and Cable modem. And he has dial-in using ISDN with SecureID via Radius servers.
He's got more machines than I can remember but the OS's are primarily Windows server, Linux, MacOS and a few SunSparcs. I think he managed to get hold of a small-ish AS400 from somewhere too... [Eek!]

p.s. Thanks to the Microsoft Partner Programme all my MS software is licensed too! [Wink]

Posts: 59 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
fishd
Mini Geek
Member # 2416

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 19, 2004 01:51      Profile for fishd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tut-an-Geek:
What ever happened to standards? In my day, patch cords in the work area could be no longer than 3 meters.

Possibly more to do with Health & Safety than standards, the firm I'm working with at the moment has a site rule that no cable be longer than two meters, they were really bummed when they bought 600 Compaq Evo's and found they all arrived with 3 meter patch cables!

quote:
I do believe that a cat5 will do well at upto and about 100 meters.
Definately yes for 10 & 100mb and according to this site you can even run gigabit up to 100meters although I think it needs Cat5E but there you go.

I used to meet regularly with 3Com engineers in technology briefings for a firm I worked for, one of their guys was helping out with the design of their then-new gigabit enterprise products; when discussing the potential RF emissions from gigabit he said "you can run gigabit over copper, but I'd prefer over fibre... at least till I'd fathered enough children anyways" [Eek!]

--------------------
--
Yeah, what he said... but funnier.

Posts: 59 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted May 19, 2004 03:42      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's not health and safety. It's the TIA/EIA (Don't remebere which, may be both) standards for cable lengths.
Maximum total distance = 100meters
Mimumum total = 2.5 meters
Max horizontal = 90 meters
Max Worspace patch = 3 meters
Max Cross-connects = 6 meters

Sinn
Mini Geek
Member # 2111

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted May 19, 2004 06:04      Profile for Sinn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine is pretty simple. 3000/368 Cable modem to Netgear Gigabit router... Router to switch panel in wall. Then each of my 3 computers (one for mom, one for my sister, and the big one for me) has a 10/100/1000 NIC.

PC 1 - Mom's
AMD K6-2 500 Mhz
384 MB Ram

PC 2 - Sister's
Athlon XP 2100
512Mb RAM

PC 3 - Mine
P4 3.0gHz
1 Gig Kingston HyperX PC4000
2 WD Raptors (striped)
2 WD 250GB SATA drives (for storage)
Radeon 9700 Pro
Etc. etc.

--------------------
Sin is a dangerous toy in the hands of the virtuous. It should be left to the congenitally sinful, who know when to play with it and when to let it alone.

Posts: 64 | From: Kerhonkson, NY | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted May 19, 2004 12:40      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sinn:
3000/368 Cable modem

Oh yeah, forgot to mention

I've got a 10,000/1000 cable modem [Wink]

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture