homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Math-a-holics and Code Junkies   » Lunar+day?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lunar+day?
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 26, 2010 04:09      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Just being me, well two nights ago, I was out for my evening walk and looking up at the Moon, then come Morning I noticed the Moon again. Then the thought that if the moons surface is always oriented so that the Man-in-the-Moon is always facing the Earth. Then the Lunar Day must be close in length to an Earth Day,

____ Twenty Four Hours and Fifty Minutes, cool huh?

____ Don't you people know that you are not supposed to leave me to my own devices, I start thinking and that is just too dangerous. Anyway for all intents and purposes Day/Night are inverted between the Earth and Moon> Yes I have seen that photo of the Earth taken from the surface of the Moon, wouldn't it be cool to watch the sunlight go around the Earth? To me that would be way cool.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 26, 2010 17:18      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Here I go again, tonight during my walk and looking at the Moon, I started thinking about tides and other cruft. So I weigh about 220 lbs or near 100kilos so how much difference in weight would I be at position A: North or South rotational Axis. B: At 45 N or S. C: At the Equator? Is the mass attraction of the Earth (Gravity) so large as to nullify the centripital forces even at the Equator?

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 26, 2010 18:07      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The difference is about 0.5%, so you weigh about 1/2 a kilo less at the poles.

That's partly due to the centripetal force, and partly due to the slightly non-spherical shape of the earth, so the R^2 in the inverse square law is slightly larger at the equator.

There's a nice explanation here

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 27, 2010 02:49      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ TFD, see what happens when I get left to think on my own, I revert to a Seventh Grader. I was pretty sure that the difference would be small, those numbers are hard to crunch in my head walking in moderate darkness.

____ Knowing that my mass would not change, just my weight, I guess that moving to the equator would not be a diet plan for Eskimos. Plus living near 45 Deg I already have lost 70% of the one pound, not a lot of gain for having to move to South America.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 27, 2010 14:04      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, here is a question I thought up, but can't be bothered to research, so if any of you know the answer, please share.

The moon causes tides in the seas. Does it also distort the atmosphere, causing tides in the air?

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted March 27, 2010 19:14      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by littlefish:
OK, here is a question I thought up, but can't be bothered to research, so if any of you know the answer, please share.

The moon causes tides in the seas. Does it also distort the atmosphere, causing tides in the air?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmospheric_tide

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 28, 2010 01:07      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cheers Steen,

I feel like I should have looked a bit harder if it has a wikipedia page that extensive!

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 28, 2010 01:33      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Thank You littlefish & GrumpySteen, you two have gotten me out of my comfort zone. Atmospheric dynamics (tides and weather paterns) cool, Damn I wish I had a faster connection.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture