homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Math-a-holics and Code Junkies   » Creating a website

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Creating a website
JamesDublin
Mini Geek
Member # 6177

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 24, 2010 19:20      Profile for JamesDublin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure if this should be posted here or in "Ask A Geek" but I'm guessing this is my best bet.

Anyway, I'm going to design a website using iWeb and host it on my current subscription to MobileMe and I'm wondering how hard / easy it is to do a home page that has motion.

I'm not expecting I'll design an award winning site but I do want to take care to do the best I can using iWeb. I've tried reading up on writing my own site but it's a good bit beyond me.

The best example of what I mean by "motion" would be www.apple.com and the way that they have the various pictures of the iPad (there's a whole other post!) moving, or rather running as a slideshow.

Is that flash? Is there any way to do it without tearing my hair out?

Any/all help and advice will be appreciated!

Thanks!

James

--------------------
I still love my 17" PowerBook G4!

Posts: 56 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 25, 2010 01:57      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ James, From a person that lives in the boonies and has a very slow connection. How long will it take to load, will the viewer just give up and move on. Think of someone on 28K Dialup, thirty seconds is about tops for my interest level. If I have not seen enough in that amount of time I'm moving on.

____ When the Mrs and I travel I love being some place with a uber connection, that is when I download all the ISOs and stuff I want to have at home.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted March 25, 2010 05:38      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JamesDublin wrote:
I'm wondering how hard / easy it is to do a home page that has motion.
I've tried reading up on writing my own site but it's a good bit beyond me.

Kinda answered your own question, didn't you? If it was easy, it wouldn't be beyond you (or anyone else).

You basically have two options:
1) Put a lot of effort into learning how to do it so you can do it yourself
2) Have someone else do it (which will probably mean paying for it)

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
JamesDublin
Mini Geek
Member # 6177

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 25, 2010 10:06      Profile for JamesDublin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the replies.

I want to keep it very simple. The best example would be the Apple site and the way they have the iPad pictures in a slideshow-type thing.

No splash screen that you have to sit through before the home page appears (I hate that) or anything, but rather just a couple of stationary pictures that fade in and out. They wouldn't take up the whole screen, just a small area in the centre of the page.

I was hoping there might be a way to do it within iWeb but if not, I'll have to see if I can figure out an alternative.

I'm not afraid of putting some work into doing it but when I looked at building a site from scratch before, it looked extremely demanding and I don't have the time to do that or the budget to hire someone.

James

littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 25, 2010 14:20      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could try an animated gif, but it would probably be huge.
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 25, 2010 16:59      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The animation on Apple's site is JavaScript and CSS; no Flash.

You might have some luck searching for iWeb plug-ins. There might be some for making JavaScript animations. You could also just search Google for something like "JavaScript slideshow". There might be scripts you can download for free and drop in your site with your own content.

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
JamesDublin
Mini Geek
Member # 6177

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 29, 2010 06:35      Profile for JamesDublin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brilliant!

Thanks Maximille! I'll give it a look!!

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture