homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » Techno-Talking   » Math-a-holics and Code Junkies   » Student Recites 8,784 Digits of Pi (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Student Recites 8,784 Digits of Pi
Reedius
Mini Geek
Member # 7130

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted May 28, 2007 15:19      Profile for Reedius     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How the hell can someone remember eight thousand digits of pi? is there a formula or a method to do it?
Posts: 55 | From: aveiro, portugual | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Tiroth
Geek-in-Training
Member # 8543

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted May 28, 2007 16:04      Profile for Tiroth   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I'm guessing they spend years saying it over in their head continuously. They must also have an extraordinary IQ.

-Tiroth

--------------------
Life is neither a good nor an evil; it is simply the place where good and evil exist.

-Seneca

Posts: 35 | From: Death Valley | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 28, 2007 17:57      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tiroth:
Well, I'm guessing they spend years saying it over in their head continuously.

-Tiroth

They have voices in their heads that are trained to do that 24/7. It's called "s-c-h-i-z-o-p-h-r-e-n-i-a" and it works like a charm.

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3753 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 28, 2007 18:26      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by garlicguy:
quote:
Well, I'm guessing they spend years saying it over in their head continuously.

-Tiroth

They have voices in their heads that are trained to do that 24/7. It's called "s-c-h-i-z-o-p-h-r-e-n-i-a" and it works like a charm.
Funny, I don't hear numbers... unless you translate "Kill the bitch! Kill the bitch!" into hex.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6530 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 1 posted May 28, 2007 21:14      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Reedius:
How the hell can someone remember eight thousand digits of pi? is there a formula or a method to do it?

Just do it as a computer: if you want to put a large file and you don't have space, the easiest way is to just delete the unused files and junk in order to make room for it.
A smart way is to compress the file.
An smarter way is to create a program capable to create such file.
In the former, memory works, so it's not hard.
I both latter you need to use synapses, were intelligence plays an important role.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted June 01, 2007 12:22      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Daniel Tammet's way of doing it is far more impressive. [Smile]
Posts: 775 | From: us of a | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 01, 2007 14:08      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by boo:
Daniel Tammet's way of doing it is far more impressive. [Smile]

You've done it with Daniel Tammet?

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3851 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Neil
Maximum Newbie
Member # 8881

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted June 19, 2007 17:10      Profile for Neil     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Well, I'm guessing they spend years saying it over in their head continuously. They must also have an extraordinary IQ.

-Tiroth

Why? It doesn't take a genuis to remember something, if they try hard enough. Scientists say that most people have about the same inherent memory ability, just some use better methods than others. The good news is anyone can learn the most efficient methods.
Posts: 14 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture