homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Math-a-holics and Code Junkies   » Student Recites 8,784 Digits of Pi (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Student Recites 8,784 Digits of Pi
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted March 16, 2006 10:56      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A high school student Tuesday recited 8,784 digits of Pi — the non-repeating and non-terminating decimal — likely placing him among the top Pi-reciters in the world.

He was hoping to get 10,790 digits.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060316/ap_on_sc/pi_prodigy

I'm lucky if I can remember 4 digits. [Razz]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted March 16, 2006 11:24      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found the last digit of pi the other day. It's not as long as everyone thinks.

(For those of you who are interested, the last digit is a 9).

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
merr
Geek
Member # 2193

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 16, 2006 11:27      Profile for merr   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That beats the crap out of my friend who thought he was pretty BA because he could recite 40 digits of pi.

I am so emailing him that link right now... [Razz]

--------------------
"I wish they made a vending machine that sold vending machines... it would have to be real f*cking big!" -Mitch Hedberg

Posts: 179 | From: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 16, 2006 11:32      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
A high school student Tuesday recited 8,784 digits of Pi ...

He was hoping to get 10,790 digits.

.. so his teacher gave him 8/10 for the assignment.

/veal

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 16, 2006 13:28      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*counts*

I can remember 10 digits of pi. :S

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Flashfire
Assimilated
Member # 2616

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 16, 2006 14:38      Profile for Flashfire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Meh. I'm lucky if I can remember where the Pi key is on my scientific calculator...

and I'm doing even better if I can remember where I put said scientific calculator... [Big Grin]

--------------------
"No silicon heaven? That's absurd!
Where would all the calculators go?"
--Kryten, Red Dwarf
-------------------------------
My Web Comic: NSTA: Semper Vigilantis

Posts: 368 | From: State of Denial | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 16, 2006 15:18      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snaggy____________Years ago when I was a math pup there was a book of math tables and standards I believe it was published by the Chemical Rubber company, In their disclaimer at the front they had Pi to one hundred and ten places quite good for 1962, however the next line was the best, these tables are proofed against many sources and notice of any errors will be appreciated.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 16, 2006 17:02      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sometimes I wonder if this is what the general public thinks that mathematicians do. While impressive, this is not a "mathematical accomplishment", as the article states.
Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 17, 2006 10:38      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Metasquares________________I wonder how many people know that Pi is the area of the incribed circle of unit one radius, as compared to the area of the two unit square. Who needs that level of accuracy, they hit the moon with 3 digits and mid course corrections.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
stringlion
Mini Geek
Member # 4767

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 17, 2006 13:26      Profile for stringlion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can Remember 3.

What do i get for that?

Posts: 94 | From: NYS, US | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 17, 2006 15:39      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
3.1459 IIRC
[Big Grin]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 17, 2006 15:46      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Serenak:
3.1459 IIRC
[Big Grin]

Um...that's 3.14_1_59

and I'd go at least to 3.1415926 [Wink]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 17, 2006 19:14      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(/me sings)

Jenny what is that number?
You've gotta' keep it in mind.
Jenny write down this number:
three point one four one five nine
(three point one four one five nine)

(/me bows)

Thank you, thank you very much.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 17, 2006 20:31      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
3.1415926535897 ... dang, I can never remember the next one. I think it's either 4, or it rounds to 4, though.

I'm told the "thing to do" for incoming freshmen at Caltech is to memorize as many digits of pi as possible in an attempt to impress the current students. They're *weird* over their, eh? [Razz]

--------------------
Let them be stupid - the market will sort it out.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 17, 2006 21:23      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Learn Pi set to music, courtesy of #JoyofTech: http://keithschofield.com/pi/std.html

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Democritus the Minor
Geek Apprentice
Member # 2620

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 28, 2006 14:05      Profile for Democritus the Minor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
extended digits of pi are useless from an engineering standpoint. pi out to 40 digits describes the ratio of a circle of radius 13.7 billion ly (the universe-circle) accurate to an hydrogen atomic diameter. (ish)

--------------------
We are 1447. We are better than 1337.

Posts: 42 | From: Chicago 'Burbs | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Tiroth
Geek-in-Training
Member # 8543

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted May 23, 2007 14:53      Profile for Tiroth   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can only remember 3.14159265358979323846

--------------------
Life is neither a good nor an evil; it is simply the place where good and evil exist.

-Seneca

Posts: 35 | From: Death Valley | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted May 23, 2007 18:31      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[ohwell] I think that although for a human being is pretty hard to remember that length of digits, I'd leave this job to a computer... but this is
still quite amusing after all.

PS: I didn't knew there was a difference in pronunciation between π and pie. [Razz]

PPS: As far as my calculator knows, I know...

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 24, 2007 08:58      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Democritus the Minor:
extended digits of pi are useless from an engineering standpoint. pi out to 40 digits describes the ratio of a circle of radius 13.7 billion ly (the universe-circle) accurate to an hydrogen atomic diameter. (ish)

THANK YOU! [thumbsup] [Big Grin]

Yes I have to scream it. I find this whole "let's find as many digits of Pi we can" stuff stupid. I heard they finds digits with some kind of algorithm, but what if the algorithm is flawed comparatively to the definition of Pi? To me, Pi is the ratio between the circumference of a circle and its radius. So has someone drawn/taken a perfect circle, measured its circumference an radius, taken into consideration the uncertainty of the measuring tool, did the division, and confirmed every new digit found? (Or am I just ignorant of the certainity level of the algorithm used?)

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 24, 2007 10:07      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
A high school student Tuesday recited 8,784 digits of Pi ...

...and inkeeping with this admirable quality of entertainment, tonight I shall give a dramatic reading of the local telephone book. All welcome. [Smile]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 24, 2007 13:14      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Democritus the Minor:

Back when I was in school, my book of mathematical tables (now that's showing my age, have todays school kids even seen a book of maths tables?) had 2 pages of 'random digits', which began
14 15 92 65 35.....

Look familiar?

Digits of pi are a high-quality source of 'random' numbers.

quote:
Originally posted by Stereo:
I heard they finds digits with some kind of algorithm, but what if the algorithm is flawed comparatively to the definition of Pi? To me, Pi is the ratio between the circumference of a circle and its radius. So has someone drawn/taken a perfect circle, measured its circumference an radius, taken into consideration the uncertainty of the measuring tool, did the division, and confirmed every new digit found? (Or am I just ignorant of the certainity level of the algorithm used?)

Pi is the integral of the curve x^2 + y^2 = 1

It was actually one of the first integrals ever calculated, Archimedes used 2 96-sided polygons to calculate 223/71 < pi < 22/7, long before the 'invention' of calculus.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 24, 2007 13:36      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny how a few of the posts looked familiar....

Then, I saw one post and thought "Hmm...that's awfully pedantic - who wrote that?"
(But not nearly as pedantic as some awesome posts there. [Smile] )
I looked up and to the left and realized "Oh, that was me!" [Razz] Finally, I spotted the dates on the posts...

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 24, 2007 16:19      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
Pi is the integral of the curve x^2 + y^2 = 1

I worry a super [blush] is in order... [blush] [blush] [blush] (I should have known that. How could I forget?)

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 24, 2007 16:22      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know the distance from New York City to the Sea of Tranquility on the Moon to the nearest 1/10,000th of an inch.

It is exact, precise and irrefutable.

But then, who wants that information?

What is the purpose of human life?

Is anyone out there?

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted May 25, 2007 05:51      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's nothing.

I can recite the location of every pothole in on the stretch of I-80 that goes through Nebraska.

Colonel Panic

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture