homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » Techno-Talking   » Math-a-holics and Code Junkies   » slopes (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: slopes
focus
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 3933

Icon 5 posted September 30, 2005 12:24      Profile for focus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what is the difference between a slope-intercept verses a point slope?

--------------------
df

Posts: 2 | From: boise | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jessycat

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1171

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted September 30, 2005 13:34      Profile for Jessycat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The assistance you received in this thread was so invaluable that you came back for more, eh? [Razz]
Posts: 491 | From: NYC | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2005 15:06      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jessycat:
The assistance you received in this thread was so invaluable that you came back for more, eh? [Razz]

Whew! Thank goodness you remembered that one, Jessycat. Think of all the keyboarding that will be saved. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3753 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2005 15:20      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stuff me, I haven't got a clue...

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1938 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2005 15:30      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AX+BY=C
y=mx+b (m is slope and b is where the line crosses the Y axis)

It's how you write it.

EDIT: Fixed the intercept. Thanks Goo! (And to think I'm teaching math to Upward Bound kids this year! [Razz] )

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3851 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2005 16:48      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, this is a slope-intercept and this is a slope point.

Pretty easy to tell the difference really.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10702 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2005 19:29      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a few snipurls for cases such as these:
http://snipurl.com/research_tool comes to mind [Smile]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9345 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
supergoo

SuperFan!
Member # 2280

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 02, 2005 23:56      Profile for supergoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, I really can't resist answering a math question.

y = mx + b is the slope-intercept form of an equation. m is the slope of the line, and b is where the line crosses the Y axis (not the X axis).

Point slope form is (y - y1) = m(x-x1), where y1 and x1 are the x and y values of a point you know is on that line, and m is the slope of a line. For example, if you were told that a line has the point (1,3) and a slope of 2, then your equation would be y-3=2(x-1). From there you can solve to get a slope-intercept equation, which in this case would be y=2x + 1.

--------------------
Y los sueños, sueños son.

Posts: 675 | From: Boston 'burbs | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 03, 2005 17:16      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since we're talking slop... (evil grin), the slope of a function f at point a is equal to

lim h->0: (f(a+h) - f(a))/h

Which is the definition of the dervitive, which can be writen f'. Then you get in to the real math.

Point slope is jusr cartsian form. If your planning on playing in physics get used to it.

Slope intercept form is easier to read of the slope and the intercepts with.

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Matias
Highlie
Member # 4216

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 03, 2005 18:27      Profile for Matias   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ummmm...not to be mean but I am not doing your dam homework. [evil]

--------------------
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Posts: 516 | From: The Land of the mouse.... | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 03, 2005 19:08      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Matias:
Ummmm...not to be mean but I am not doing your dam homework. [evil]

It's not engineering, it's just math, Mat. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 3753 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 03, 2005 20:13      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just what this thread needs, sum maths puns.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 03, 2005 20:21      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think we need todevide and conquror, to root out these math pun do-ers before they multiply exponetially and then there will be no limit to how much they subtract from the boards. We need to be careful, however, to differentiate them from the intergral members who contribute, because we don't want to be just plane mean.

McCarthy math -- illiminate the radicals.

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 04, 2005 08:46      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's not be going off on any tangents here.

--------------------

drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 04, 2005 10:03      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by garlicguy:
Let's not be going off on any tangents here.

Are we going to sine off on another punfest?

Some people think these puns are acute, personally, I'm divided on the subject.

Fortunately, the possibilities are limitless.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted October 04, 2005 10:13      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
...not sure... algebra-ack to you on that one [ohwell]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 04, 2005 11:17      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ehh, why are you guys stressing out about another punfest? Don't you know that puns are a Sinh*?

(Pronounced "cinch," IIRC)

--------------------

garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 04, 2005 11:20      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:

If you want to finance this effort we'll probably need someone to cosine.

--------------------

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 04, 2005 11:25      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by garlicguy:
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:

If you want to finance this effort we'll probably need someone to cosine.
For such a tan gent, I'll sine anything!

/me blushes

--------------------

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 04, 2005 14:03      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like the start of another infinite series of puns.

(btw Rhonnie - In my schooldays here in oz, 'sinh' was pronounced 'shine'. )

--------------------

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 04, 2005 14:21      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
Looks like the start of another infinite series of puns.

(btw Rhonnie - In my schooldays here in oz, 'sinh' was pronounced 'shine'. )

I hear ya. But then of course, none of your words are pronounced correctly! [Razz] They're such a derivation from civilized society.

--------------------

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 04, 2005 15:17      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
But then of course, none of your words are pronounced correctly!

Actually, I find some of the 'merkin speech habits a little irrational.

--------------------

i_need_a_pillow
Geek
Member # 2765

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted October 04, 2005 16:33      Profile for i_need_a_pillow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Different lines of English do tend to deviate from each other, though...

--------------------
The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.

Posts: 104 | From: I'm here. Where else? | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 04, 2005 19:34      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You all can secant you where this is heading.
Matias
Highlie
Member # 4216

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted October 04, 2005 22:12      Profile for Matias   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Late

Sorry but I had flashbacks of when my brother made me do his assignments

--------------------
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Posts: 516 | From: The Land of the mouse.... | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture