homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » Techno-Talking   » Math-a-holics and Code Junkies   » Favourite coding music (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Favourite coding music
californiarockr
Assimilated
Member # 1986

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 28, 2004 13:10      Profile for californiarockr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Red hot chili peppers, Foo Fighters, the killers, metallica, less than jake, lagwagon... it varies

I play it over speakers or if in the library, large noise cancelling headphones

Posts: 361 | From: guess... :/ | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 28, 2004 16:58      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here of late I've been listening to metal like Nightwish, Malmsteen and Blind Guardian, but for the last three nights I've listened to Ashley MacIsaac's Celtic-hard rock-metal-techno stuff. Wonderful stuff! Definitely meant to keep out the outside world. [Smile]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3851 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted October 28, 2004 18:59      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Malmsteen? Wow....a blast from the past.

Didn't he play for Marillion during the 'wailing-swedish-longhair-guitarist' days?

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 28, 2004 20:23      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I've been on a metal kick lately too, listening to stuff from Chronix. Plenty of good stuff including Dimmu Borgir, Megadeth, Anthrax, Disturbed, Metallica, etc. Other than that, it's been DC Talk, MC Chris, and some Weird Al on the side. Oh, and a bit of trance occasionally.

/eclectic

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 28, 2004 21:15      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been listening to a good bit of Santana lately. Right now, as I prepare my anti-Ballmer spiel, I'm listening to:
http://tux-server/gripped/santana/supernatural/corazon_espinado_featuring_man.ogg

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9345 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 29, 2004 05:39      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm...

At work.

If my co-worker controls tunes.

Disco. It's kinda like masturbation. Can take the tension away but not as much fun as the real stuff and has no real substance or meaning.

If I control the music.

Hank Williams III
Soul Asylum
Pursuit of Happiness
Black Flag

In the car between sites.

Hendrix
Stevie Ray Vaughan
L.A. Guns
Kasey Chambers ( Aussie country)

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2472 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mr Bill
Assimilated
Member # 553

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted October 29, 2004 16:38      Profile for Mr Bill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whatever happens to be loaded in the cassette/MP3/winamp player (depending on era) at the time. Usually after about 5 minutes its tuned out, and I couldn't tell you what I had just listened to if my life depended on it.

I have been poked with sticks on several occasions after failing to respond to the query: "Are you listening to me??"

--------------------
Will work for taglines...

Posts: 378 | From: Down the hall, second door on the right | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Autumn
Newbie Larva
Member # 3056

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted November 02, 2004 11:55      Profile for Autumn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Something loud usually, until i get to the point where my brain feels like its in knots then i put on 'Mezzanine' by Massive Attack.

--------------------
Avert Thy eyes!

Posts: 7 | From: Ireland | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 02, 2004 19:29      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tartan Terrors and a ramped up Celtic/rock/metal Ashley MacIsaac have been in my CD player the most at work here of late. Now that I just got my new car with a CD player, I'll be listening to them in the car too! yay!

--------------------

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 02, 2004 19:45      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
Tartan Terrors and a ramped up Celtic/rock/metal Ashley MacIsaac have been in my CD player the most at work here of late. Now that I just got my new car with a CD player, I'll be listening to them in the car too! yay!

Congratulations on the new car! That's great news!

/not jealous .. not jealous [Wink]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted November 03, 2004 05:23      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Now that I just got my new car with a CD player, I'll be listening to them in the car too! yay!

Congratulations!

--------------------
Has one of us confessed?
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2472 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 03, 2004 06:51      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Congrats! What'd you get?
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 03, 2004 20:44      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
2001 Nissan Altima GXE. Brand new tires and only 38,173 miles!

--------------------

californiarockr
Assimilated
Member # 1986

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 18, 2004 15:29      Profile for californiarockr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh cmon, I expected better from geek culture... no mention of Perl Jam? seriously though, I picked them back up recently, good stuff
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 18, 2004 15:47      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pearl Jam?

That's like saying that you code to the Cranberries. [shake head]

Though the first couple of albums were alright, Pearl Jam became one of those message bands. You know, you are stupid people so we have to cram our views down your throat, but unfortunately it will be a regurgitation of music that we have already done before since we are too busy fighting social injustice. Oh and the new album comes out in January. [Razz] </rantandrave>

Tom Waits is spinning this week.

--------------------
Has one of us confessed?
Buried in our chest

Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 18, 2004 15:59      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I don'[t code, at least not in the same sense you computer guys do, but I do like music when I'm working. When I'm plotting variants of my RNA (coding in AUCG) or designing DNA oligos (coding in ATCG [Wink] ) I like something fairly fast. For some reason, fast music, be it rock or classical, helps me focus on endless chains of A's, U's or T's, G's, and C's. Screwing up a sequence is about as cartastropic as screwing uop a line of computer code, except for me the errors are much less apparent. The last time I failed to catch my own mistakes, I'd spent two months banging my head against a wall and ended up spending the better part of two weeks repairing the mistake and banging out new RNA. :/

When I'm purifying RNA it's a bit more mindless and I like something I can sing along to. I made a friend the day one of my lab mates caught me singing along with his Bob Dylan CD.

When I'm setting up crystallization trials, Bob Marley. Helps keep my hands steady and my brain distracted from the crick developing in my neck.

NPR is also nice to have on the radio, though it can be extremely distracting, especially on Science Friday. A few weeks ago they had some really interesting feature on and everyone, the boss included, was just sitting in the back listening very intently. Lab rats. [Razz]

Around the apartment I like to listen to Bright Eyes, especially if I'm doing any kind of cooking or cleaning. Don't ask.

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Twinkle Toes
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1208

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted November 18, 2004 19:45      Profile for Twinkle Toes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of the little coding I've done, I either listen to trance, techno, or swing (any, though I most enjoy early 1920's).

When cooking: Pop and Alternative 80's, some of today's Alternative

When cleaning/doing chores: Metal*, Rock*, swing, Latin, and Disco - so I can jump and dance around the house with reason [Big Grin]

Homework: Everything mentioned (incl. hippie stuff), though those the following category impede my progress

When I just want to ponder: Floyd, some Zeppelin, The Cure, U2, Temptations, and any classical music (been listening to that more often lately). Also included is one Def Leppard song (Hysteria) and one Moody Blues song (Nights in White Satin). This is the kind of music that, when it comes on the radio, I stop whatever I'm doing and just listen... usually it makes me really sad [ohwell] . All music has feeling, but this kind of music has meaning to me.

*Metal: Megadeth, Stryper, Slaughter, Ratt, Winger, Yngwie Malmsteen, Cinderella, L.A. Guns

*Rock: Zeppelin, Blue Oyster Cult, Rush, Alice Cooper, Van Halen, Beatles

Posts: 1617 | From: a membrane near you! | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Twinkle Toes
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1208

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 18, 2004 19:54      Profile for Twinkle Toes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess that post was mostly off-topic... I don't code often, and I don't have a job. I just really love music (0.0) .
Posts: 1617 | From: a membrane near you! | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 18, 2004 21:15      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<big-kid-with-new-toy>
An iPod set to 'shuffle' [Big Grin]
</big-kid-with-new-toy>

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10702 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
californiarockr
Assimilated
Member # 1986

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 19, 2004 01:05      Profile for californiarockr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[cry baby] no one went with my pun. and i like pearl jam, when im concentrating on stuff, I dont pay attention to lyrics, I just go with the sounds. Thats why the mars volta works so well for me

--------------------
lol

CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 19, 2004 05:34      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by californiarockr:
[cry baby] no one went with my pun. and i like pearl jam, when im concentrating on stuff, I dont pay attention to lyrics, I just go with the sounds. Thats why the mars volta works so well for me

Oops, I see the pun after another look. Perl Jam! Now to think of a band name I can hack apart to sound like a coding language.

Hmmm...

--------------------
Has one of us confessed?
Buried in our chest

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 19, 2004 14:20      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Never mind the cobolocks, here's the Sex Pistols"

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10702 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 20, 2004 00:55      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hehe, now visualising Alice Cooper coding in Python rather than having one around his neck on stage.

Actually, it's damn hard to think of band names that are connected with programming languages. If ever I invent a new programming language, I'll be sure to name it after a band to make this exercise easier in future.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted November 22, 2004 15:37      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pigface and My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult, mostly. Something with a good, aggro beat and relatively mindless lyrics.

If I'm getting too far into the "I AM MASCHINE" feeling after a code marathon, I throw on some Leonard Cohen and get my mope on. [Wink]

alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 11, 2005 22:26      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A lot of stuff, mostly whats in my itunes library which consists of
Guns N'Roses
KISS
Velvet Revolver
Quiet Riot
Weird Al Yankovich (can't be all rock...)
and somehow Maryilyn Manson and Rob Zombie got into my mix

and sadly most of these bands were not really my era...

--------------------
Art is Resistance / Resistance is Art

Posts: 813 | From: Nevada, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture