homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » Techno-Talking   » Math-a-holics and Code Junkies   » pi (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: pi
Flashfire
Assimilated
Member # 2616

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 08, 2004 12:38      Profile for Flashfire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tut-an-Geek:
The TI-83+ is NOT obsolete. It's still VERY widely used.

Ow...sorry, didn't realize I'd hit a nerve there.

Regardless, I'd still like to know how to overclock it -- perhaps even use it for non-calculatory functions...maybe there's a TI Toys book somewhere in the future. [Smile]

--Flash

--------------------
"No silicon heaven? That's absurd!
Where would all the calculators go?"
--Kryten, Red Dwarf
-------------------------------
My Web Comic: NSTA: Semper Vigilantis

Posts: 368 | From: State of Denial | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Dr Cyclops
Assimilated
Member # 986

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 08, 2004 15:17      Profile for Dr Cyclops   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you jump a resistor somewhere. [Confused]

--------------------
When the W'rkncacnter came, Pthia was killed, and Yrro in anger, flung the W'rkncacnter into the sun. The sun burned them, but they swam on its surface.

Posts: 499 | From: Upon the slab, Unbroken. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted March 08, 2004 15:43      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Flash: At many schools, the TI-83+ is reccomended if not required for Algebra I, Algebra II, Geometry, Pre-Calculus, Calculus, and more. Generally the 83+ is preffered over the 89 because most teachers are yet to become familiar enough to be comfortable with the 89's interface.
GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 08, 2004 17:26      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My TI-92 calls your tiny 83 a whimp.... In fact, My TI-92 beat up your honnors student.

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 08, 2004 17:43      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by angryjungman:
I use the non-plus version [that would be the TI-83] all the time. It's quite a competant tool for statistics, and seeing as that's what I do, I like it.

Yeah, I used an 83 when I took stats in HS.

I had a TI-85. It got stolen, along with my high scores in Tetris. I have a little Casio scientific calculator now; it doesn't do graphs but it'll handle just about anything else I throw at it.

The only time I ever used a calculator in calculus was to finish a problem that actually had numbers to plug into the variables, and in the calculus class that almost never happened. On the exams, no calculators were allowed. OTOH, in chemistry and physics courses I later took, there were numbers to plug in for x, and so after I sat down with my pencil and paper to solve the integral or take the derivative I'd take out my trusty Casio and have at it.

These days, the only math I do is easy algebra, or fitting a curve, and that's what Excel is for. [Smile]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dr Cyclops
Assimilated
Member # 986

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 08, 2004 18:08      Profile for Dr Cyclops   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grr. I could'nt survive without my 83+! With all my little programs for: finding factors quick'n'easy, solving quadratics quick'n'easy, conversions, continuous fractions. I guess that's why I don't like chemistry- not enough math.

BTW, you can do curve fitting in a 83+... [Razz]

--------------------
When the W'rkncacnter came, Pthia was killed, and Yrro in anger, flung the W'rkncacnter into the sun. The sun burned them, but they swam on its surface.

Posts: 499 | From: Upon the slab, Unbroken. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 08, 2004 18:55      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dr C, wait until you take physical chemistry. If you like integrating curved surfaces, that's the class for you...

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Orpheus
Highlie
Member # 2397

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 08, 2004 19:50      Profile for Orpheus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GameMaster:
My TI-92 calls your tiny 83 a whimp.... In fact, My TI-92 beat up your honnors student.

My copies of Mathematica and Spotfire violated them all with a hedgehog in their respective ears!

hehehe sorry got a little overzealous there

Mathematica is really a neat proggy I got to use it a lot last semester and now I'm about to start playing with Spotfire I think to analyze data from gene chips or some other insanely large data sets that would make Excel wet itself. If its a real pain I'm sure I'll be back to b**** and moan. [Smile]

And actually I still use my TI-83(no plus) quite often.

--------------------
my cats make me crazy

Posts: 554 | From: Galveston, TX | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 08, 2004 19:56      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Orpheus:
Mathematica is really a neat proggy I got to use it a lot last semester and now I'm about to start playing with Spotfire I think to analyze data from gene chips or some other insanely large data sets that would make Excel wet itself.

But I thought that Excel was the be all and end all of data modelling? At least someone was trying to convince me of that in another thread (not you) [Wink]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
PrairieGeek
Newbie Larva
Member # 2619

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted March 09, 2004 18:53      Profile for PrairieGeek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's some short Java code that computes pi based on the series described above and then displays the result along with Math.PI.
code:
public class SortaPi {
public static void main(String[] args) {
double sum = 0.0;
int sign = 1;
for(long i=1;i<=2000000000;i+=2){
sum += sign * 4.0/i;
sign *= -1;
}
System.out.println(sum);
System.out.println(Math.PI);
}
}

Here's the output:

Posts: 7 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 09, 2004 19:38      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
a billion iterations to get 9 digits of accuracy is pretty poor, especially when 355/113 will give you 7 digits.

btw - coding tip, in loops like the above, it's best to count down, i.e.
code:
for(long i=1999999999;i>=1;i-=2)

it minimises the losses from rounding errors.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10702 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted March 09, 2004 21:53      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
quote:
Originally posted by Orpheus:
Mathematica is really a neat proggy I got to use it a lot last semester and now I'm about to start playing with Spotfire I think to analyze data from gene chips or some other insanely large data sets that would make Excel wet itself.

But I thought that Excel was the be all and end all of data modelling? At least someone was trying to convince me of that in another thread (not you) [Wink]
Just imagine a beowulf cluster of computers with EXCEL on them.... *GASP* [Razz] [Razz]

For anything large that needs to be modled, I have a cluster. They are running a siulation now... The programs they are using are writen in Fortran, and are all cloud simulations. This is one of the largest clusters working on this type of problem. Who knew fluffy white layered clouds are so intresting?

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 09, 2004 22:29      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of the early developers of chaos theory did. [Wink]

--------------------
- The Decemberists

ooby
Highlie
Member # 2603

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 10, 2004 07:44      Profile for ooby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
His name was Mandelbrot and he worked for IMB in the 60's and 70's attempting to caclulate the weather. Instead, he made some pretty pictures.

--------------------
"haven't you ever wondered if there's more to life than being really, really, rediculously good looking?"

Posts: 680 | From: South Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 10, 2004 08:18      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mongoose:
quote:
Originally posted by Tut-an-Geek:
quote:
Originally posted by Dr Cyclops:
quote:
Ti-83+
I have one o' thems! I put together a program to find the factors of numbers for my primality research. Then I found out that my tricked out 7500 could do it much faster.

Hanji also reminded me that you can find pi through some continued fraction. (not the one he gave, this one equals pi).

A Ti-83+ is what? 1mhz?

Wouldn't the 7500 also have a FAR overpowering FPU, not to mention everything else?

According to TI it should be 6 Mhz. However with some modification and voiding your warrenty... 24 Mhz is possible (not that I have done it or anything)
joining late but...

i use my 83+ all the time. overclocking is easy (its just finding the 0.1pf cap thats difficult). I followed the instructions here , but i accept no responsibility for your actions if you read it [Smile]

Posts: 1151 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dr Cyclops
Assimilated
Member # 986

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 10, 2004 22:14      Profile for Dr Cyclops   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
.1 pF? weird.

--------------------

Flashfire
Assimilated
Member # 2616

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 10, 2004 23:00      Profile for Flashfire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
.1 pF? weird.

Yeah, weird enough that the writer of the webpage is offering some from her own private stock.

This looks like fun... I'll have to try it someday.

--Flash, always up for playing with solid-state electronics... [evil]

--------------------
--Kryten, Red Dwarf

Dr Cyclops
Assimilated
Member # 986

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 11, 2004 17:13      Profile for Dr Cyclops   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
$.005 capacitor + $.34 stamp = cosmic ripoff!

--------------------

Flashfire
Assimilated
Member # 2616

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 13, 2004 11:24      Profile for Flashfire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
$.005 capacitor + $.34 stamp = cosmic ripoff!

Nah, you're just paying for convenience -- when getting ahold of the $.005 capacitor = umpteen hours of searching the internet, or driving all over the place when gas = $2.00 per gallon (can you believe that? grr... [Mad] ), the self-addressed stamped envelope method starts to look good.

<nitpick> And stamps are $0.37 now. </nitpick>

--Flash

--------------------
--Kryten, Red Dwarf

PrairieGeek
Newbie Larva
Member # 2619

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 20, 2004 21:59      Profile for PrairieGeek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never said that code was useful. In fact, it almost certainly isn't, just fun...very very fun.

OK, not really ;-P

Posts: 7 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture