homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » *sigh*

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: *sigh*
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted February 26, 2018 16:05      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nitrozac and I can no longer afford our current dedicated server, so we will be moving the site to a cheaper plan in March. (We'll be saving about 100 bucks a month.)

Unfortunately I don't know if I can get the Forums working on this new site. The cgi-bin is configured differently, and the host might not actually allow the old code on there, but I will try. So there is a chance that this is the last month of these once mighty Forums. I will upload all the old threads and such to the new server, so you may be able to find them via Google, but again, I'm not sure if I'll be able to resuscitate this beloved place.

Some might say it's already dead, and I'm just pulling the plug, but man, it hurts pulling the plug. [weep]

Posts: 8147 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 27, 2018 10:19      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[weep] [weep] [weep]
Posts: 5853 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 27, 2018 11:24      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you and Nitrozac for everything you have done to keep all the lights on. It is sad to know things have to change, but I am eternally grateful for this site.

[weep]

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2471 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 27, 2018 13:05      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a sad day, indeed, but you have to do what's right for you. If the forums die I'll mourn their passing, but life does go on. At least we'll still have the comics.

We will still have the comics? Right?! Cause if the comics die I might need to come out there and [insert Facebook-style rant, appropriate dank meme, and link to inflammatory misrepresented non-news item here].

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1750 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 27, 2018 21:43      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CommanderShroom:
Thank you and Nitrozac for everything you have done to keep all the lights on. It is sad to know things have to change, but I am eternally grateful for this site.

[weep]

Ditto. [weep]

If I can lend some sort of sysadmin aid, lemme know.

Alas, I'm in a more regulated field nowadays, or else, I'd offer some space on a spare server in a dark closet. [Smile]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9341 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted February 27, 2018 22:06      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[weep]

Wow, I picked a sad day to randomly check in on the old stomping ground.

Thanks for the (many, many) memories.

It's probably a moot point.. but I have a teeny web server in my closet that runs apache and hosts my choir's practice tracks..?

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2338 | From: Southeast Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted February 28, 2018 12:47      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MacManKrisK! Great to read you again!
Hope things are great with you.

Thanks for the hosting offer, but there's too much personal info associated with the Forums (emails, etc) to ever pass on to anyone else.

YaYawoman

Member # 4505

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 05, 2018 17:45      Profile for YaYawoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HI! [Smile] Bye [ohwell] I was doing a lurk and saw the thread. I then thought "I will say goodbye". Then I realized I did not have my login.

Thank you Snaggy. It has always been a pleasure here.

Hi everybody. I hope all has been well for every one of you.

Posts: 766 | From: virginia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 06, 2018 14:33      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
Thanks for the hosting offer, but there's too much personal info associated with the Forums (emails, etc) to ever pass on to anyone else.

Aye, I'd figured as much. It wasn't much of an offer anyway: a wee PC, sitting in my front closet (on a UPS, though!), acting as a web server on my residential cable connection. [Roll Eyes]

It was mostly symbolic gesture, I guess. [Beard of Peter Gabriel!]

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2338 | From: Southeast Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nitrozac

Benevolent Dictator!
Member # 111

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 12, 2018 00:20      Profile for Nitrozac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really don't want the forums to go. This is so much better than Facebook and twitter. Much cozier. [Beard of Peter Gabriel!]
SupportGoddess

Member # 822

Icon 1 posted March 14, 2018 06:12      Profile for SupportGoddess   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nitrozac:
I really don't want the forums to go. This is so much better than Facebook and twitter. Much cozier. [Beard of Peter Gabriel!]

True dat.

Verge declared "tiny, weird online communities made a comeback in 2017". I don't know if that's true, but I kind of wish it was. (Not saying we're tiny or weird or anything!)

--------------------
"A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes."
-Gotthold Ephraim Lessing

Posts: 1150 | From: The Digital Temple | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
..er..
Member # 4926

Icon 1 posted March 14, 2018 08:47      Profile for ..er..     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
..er.. well, I don't come here a lot, but when I have done, I've really enjoyed it. <sob>

All the best, ..er..

Posts: 13 | From: London, England, roughly.. | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted March 21, 2018 14:08      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just an update, this is taking longer than I thought.

Also, shopping for webhosting sucks, as you think you find a good one, get it, but then discover things about it that are less than great. [ohwell] [Geek]

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted March 23, 2018 20:28      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
by jove I think I got it! [crazy]

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture