homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Fishing, Phishing, phishing with a phone.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Fishing, Phishing, phishing with a phone.
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 01, 2014 13:51      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All

I received a phone call today, I missed answering it in a timely manor so using the Caller ID I called them back. Voice mail hell.

I finally got a human and asked the purpose of the call. I was informed that my insurance status had changed and would I give my full address, and Finance Company. I refused and was told that by refusing, a note would be placed on our loan. I tell the person no way and I hang up. I call the Bank and get to the servicing department, and was told that they do all of that type of research by being up front, from the caller ID they knew who had called them and confirmed that there was not a problem with their data. I then called the property insurance company and confirmed that all data was correct.

Upshot is that the scammers are trying new tricks.

--------------------
If it don't glow it ain't Ham Radio

Posts: 5454 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 01, 2014 16:22      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Likewise with credit cards - one should never give that information to an incoming call. Call the number of the back of the card - that's always the real deal. This stuff is 'big business' for the bad guys - so if you're not careful (well done, MoMan!), you may find yourself as yet another victim of these scumbags.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9206 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 01, 2014 17:41      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snaggy, I often get calls from the brokerage that has my IRA, however when they call I tell the person that I do not take incoming calls. I call the brokerage and some times it is legit. Firm rule at TheMoMans is no vitals about us to any one, that calls us.

--------------------

Posts: 5454 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 01, 2014 20:30      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/me is tres honored to be mistaken for Snaggy, but it's not the case. (And I shain't be trying to pull an April Fool's joke either.)

Cheers,
dragon

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9206 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 02, 2014 07:32      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope thar both of you fine gentlemen feel honoured.

--------------------

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted April 02, 2014 14:25      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The honour is all mine! [Smile]
Posts: 7816 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 03, 2014 03:29      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
>I received a phone call today, I missed answering it in a timely manor so using the Caller ID I called them back. Voice mail hell.

Pro tip for North Americans: Never return a call to an area code you don't know.

Some of the small island nations in that part of the world don't have their own (telephone) country codes, they're just an area code within the US/Canada system.
In some of those countries, the equivalent of 1-900 numbers are on what look (to-USians) like regular phone numbers. There's a scam that involves calling USians, leaving a message, then when they call back putting them through "Voice mail hell" at $10 per minute.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10448 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 03, 2014 07:24      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Except in this case the calling number was in the same area code as our mortgage service. Nothing to tip me off.

--------------------

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 11, 2014 11:37      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The thieves are trying again new tactic, " We have found a discrepancy with your account, could you help us straighten it out I will need your account num.?"

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2014 Geek Culture® All Rights Reserved.