homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » You might have seen this on /.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: You might have seen this on /.
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 23, 2014 00:42      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I learned from an IT guy that a laptop program one of my local schools recently rolled out had been Slashdotted, so I thought I'd share an article about it here. It's not thoroughly geekified - like, I don't know whether they're using Unity or Mint - but I thought you guys might still find it interesting.

PMHS Practices "Ubuntu" With Laptop Program

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 23, 2014 10:07      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rhonwyyn!!!

Interesting article and to some extent the FOSS cost angle is exactly the angle I would say I am surprised more schools haven't used to go that direction (i.e. the potential cost reduction in the setting up of such a scheme) - of course when such schemes are mooted it is often up to the local Govt. IT Dept to make the decisions... and we all know how defensive and entrenched some of those can be)

FWIW Rhon, Mint is a different Linux "Distro" to Ubuntu... though I believe based on or derived from Ubuntu. Unity is the default desktop environment for Ubuntu (though being an old stick in the mud I always switch to the Gnome Classic Fallback option [Wink] )

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 23, 2014 23:05      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Serenak!!!

Shows how much I've been out of things. I totally misunderstood what my IT guy was saying.

Penn Manor's IT head is really forward-thinking. He got really excited when talking about how much the students are involved. The seniors mentioned in the article are pretty much running things, it seems. Adults are there for back-up, of course, but the kids seem to have it under control. (It reminds me of my days at Penn State: undergraduates manned the helpdesk.)

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture