homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Media Exposure

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Media Exposure
notcool
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 50387

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted October 03, 2013 20:14      Profile for notcool     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I keep seeing all these new shows on the cable channels that are pushing the geek cultures and exposing mainstream to our lifestyle, culture and taste...

IMO they are all making us look bad and they are choosing the most exotic, introverted, culturally inept, and socially deprived representations of this thing we call geekdom. Fat guys wearing bad super hero costumes and jumping into a hot tub face first are no representation of a cal poly graduate who is mild mannered yet intellectually advanced. I almost have to remove myself from the term geek just to get any kind of respect from the mainstream OR the advanced silicone valley geeks that I call friends.

This whole series of "reality" shows seems more geared towards pushing far to the edge to gain ratings rather than expose true geeks who are not a bane to society, just to grab some ratings.

Cosplay, LARPing, Trekking and Comic Books are not my backbone nor do they establish my existence...after all I laugh at those losers as well.

Not all geeks are losers but they are portraying all losers as geeks...
Sorry if I offend, but if I did...get the fuck out of my pool or drown.

TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 03, 2013 21:31      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
notcool , welcome to our corner of the hidden side of the Internet. You have just touched on the false hoods of Script Writers.

Bikers I have been a biker for forty years, I grew a thicker skin.

Auto worker , same story called lazy, again thicker skin.

Geek, Nerd, Math Jock, so what ?

Vet , Whoo Bouy.

Script writers try to get peoples attention, who cares it is anywhere the truth, as long as the sponsor pays for the show.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 04, 2013 08:11      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by notcool:
Cosplay, LARPing, Trekking and Comic Books are not my backbone nor do they establish my existence...after all I laugh at those losers as well.

That's why I don't hang out with chicks like this...

-

because cosplayers a bunch of sad losers.
Yeah, that's definitely the reason.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 05, 2013 20:40      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Druid if you hang out with chicks like that I seriously need to
a) get a Passport and
b) seriously suck up to you so that I can
c) come visit when you are about to hang out with chicks like that
[Big Grin]
PS my knees are weak and my eyes are bent.... but unless my sadly failing eyes deceive me them girls are just naked and painted... [Big Grin]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 06, 2013 07:54      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or Tatoo-ed/Inked

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted October 06, 2013 11:44      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Body paint

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 06, 2013 12:21      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back before Y2K Epson ran some print ads, showing a young lass water droplet covered. caption
At 300dpi you see the swimmer,
At 720dpi you see the water drops on the swimmer,
At 1440 you see that her swim suit is painted on.

The Montagnards of Laos were very good a tattooing tiger strips and grass onto them selves when they walked into the jungle it was difficult to keep them in view, blink and they disappeared.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 07, 2013 06:09      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, I had no idea, I just googled for 'sexy cosplayers'.
Even more disappointed I don't hang out with chicks like that (please, no 'hang-out' double entendres)

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture