homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » December 21 report

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: December 21 report
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 20, 2012 17:49      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
10 hours into the apocalypse, and it's not quite the conflagration we'd been banking on

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10473 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 21, 2012 05:25      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From the great Lakes Area Snow and More Snow

--------------------
If it don't glow it ain't Ham Radio

Posts: 5494 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 22, 2012 10:07      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well the atmosphere did not catch fire, huge rocks, and boulders did not fall from the shy. Just some gale force winds and a little snow.

I guess some one interpolated the Mayan calender wrong.

--------------------

Posts: 5494 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 22, 2012 21:33      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
I guess some one interpolated the Mayan calender wrong.

Or maybe December 21, 2012 is just the point where the guy carving a huge stone calendar 500 years ago thought "Frak this, I'm going to the pub".

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted December 22, 2012 23:49      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Famous Druid wrote:
Or maybe December 21, 2012 is just the point where the guy carving a huge stone calendar 500 years ago thought "Frak this, I'm going to the pub".

Pretty much. The Mayan date system can actually count up to approximately the year 63,076,303 but nobody in their right mind would try to carve a 63 million year long calendar in stone. If they'd tried, they wouldn't be finished carving today.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 23, 2012 08:19      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Friday "The End of the World," The Earth was at that point in its orbit where the track of the sun was as far South as it goes. So now 178 days later it will track as far North. Has anyone else noticed that the earth seems to have heat inertia? We just passed the winter solstice however the heat of summer (SH) or depths of winter (NH) are about two months away.

--------------------

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 23, 2012 08:48      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
Has anyone else noticed that the earth seems to have heat inertia? We just passed the winter solstice however the heat of summer (SH) or depths of winter (NH) are about two months away.

Yeah, I've noticed that.
January and February are the hottest months here.
November's closer to the solstice than February, but 3 C cooler.

I blame the ocean.

--------------------

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 23, 2012 20:37      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TFD, I know that you have figured out nearly where we live. Lakes on three sides. They may have a moderating effect, however I have seen the same effect in big heat sinks, the power was turned off however the temp. appeared to still rise. That may have been due to uneven heating and it took a while to even out, however the temp probe was quite close to the heaters.

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2014 Geek Culture® All Rights Reserved.