homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » The Bosons name was 'Higgs'...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Bosons name was 'Higgs'...
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 04, 2012 04:53      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like they took my advice, and looked behind the sofa, because They Found The Higgs Boson!

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 04, 2012 06:30      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, No, No. Chief Bosensmate Higgs is out on the foredeck drinking his coffee. He can walk the length of the ship with that cuppa and na spill a drop while checking up on the deck crew. During my years in the USN I have never seen a Bosensmate Chief ever spill a drop of coffee.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 04, 2012 07:40      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you sure? Last time I saw him, he was in Mechanicsburgh... Second last panel - that's airman third class Higgs!

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 05, 2012 06:46      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boson Higgs, when his 48 year wait ended...
 -

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 05, 2012 13:03      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I stayed up to watch the webcast from CERN (1 am my time). Sat through about two hours of particle physics talks. The speakers were good enough not to lose me completely, which, given I'm a biochemist, is no small feat. Especially since people like me weren't the intended audience. Anyway, at the end, the camera goes panning over the room, looking at people's reactions and I saw that old gentleman TFD posted removing his glasses and wiping his eyes and putting his glasses back on to resume applauding and I thought "OMG, he's crying". But, of course, I had no idea who he was.

Interestingly enough, before the second talk was even finished, the announcement the Higgs had been found was popping up on the news. Once the scientists had said their piece, though, and CERN talked to the press directly, the press started amending headlines and articles to reflect the fact that, while they've a boson something at the energy level expected of a Higgs, the scientists aren't willing to say for certain what they've got. Looks like a duck but they need more data to determine what it quacks like, if you will.

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 05, 2012 15:51      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wait, Xanthine, are you suggesting the Bosun could be a witch?!

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 05, 2012 16:19      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Depends. Does it float?

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 05, 2012 21:03      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does it's feet go paddle, paddle.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 06, 2012 12:11      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hopefully we will find out soon. We haven't had a good burning at the stake in a while. Although I did have a pretty good grilling of the steak the other night.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 06, 2012 14:05      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AYE, AYE Sir, bo's'n Higgs reporting You were looking for me?

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 13, 2012 22:58      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/me just got a bit of an education from b3ta:
http://www.b3ta.com/links/What_is_the_HIggs_Boson

(Hopefully that's somewhere near right.)

This builds tremendously on my from education gained years ago:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j50ZssEojtM

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 14, 2012 10:23      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whoa back during my education, There were Three sub-atomic particles. The Electrons They ran the government from their cloud. Protons just fat old lumps near the center, Then the Neutrons they did not do anything except give the atom MASS . Where did all of these new things come from, We must stop this science quest or else the world will stop spinning. None of those are in the Good Book Damn Liberals going off and smashing atoms what for?

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture