homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Enjoy the show

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Enjoy the show
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 19, 2012 08:16      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm jealous

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10410 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 19, 2012 10:55      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As Am I

--------------------
If it don't glow it ain't Ham Radio

Posts: 5342 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted May 19, 2012 11:57      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Partial eclipse tip:

bring a straw hat when you watch the partial eclipse, one with lots of tiny holes. Hold the hat near to the ground to where you can see the shadow of the hat... lots of tiny crescents of Sun being eclipsed by Moon! very cool. [Cool]

Posts: 7782 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 20, 2012 21:09      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So very jealous

When I Am Rich, I will be an eclipse groupie.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 20, 2012 21:33      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not far from main path (Salt Lake City) of the Eclipse. But our bright and sunny midday has turned cloudy...

I resorted to watching it on webcam. Which just isn't nearly as much fun.

Posts: 2434 | From: Somewhere between the gutter... and probably another gutter | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted May 21, 2012 00:20      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was cloudy here, but clouds thinned just enough for a few minutes so I could see the bite. Always cool. :-)

If you ever get a chance to see a *total* solar eclipse, DO IT.
And if you don't get a chance, MAKE THE CHANCE!

(so sayith this witness to the 1991 Mexico eclipse.)

There's one coming to the USA in 2017. See you in the shadow!
http://www.eclipse2017.org/ECLIPSE2017_main.HTM

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 21, 2012 05:23      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really, really want to see one like this...
 -

--------------------

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 21, 2012 06:45      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last evening near Sundown I went out on the deck and looked toward the West. I then went back in the house and got our camera. We are supposed to be be too far East and North of the path to have seen this.

- Taken at 8:45PM EDST

- Taken at 8:49PM EDST

Following the Sun going below the tree line it was a different Sunset, as the level of light seemed to ebb and flow before the actual Sunset. According to the almanac in my GPS Sundown occurred at 9:02 PM EDST

--------------------
If it don't glow it ain't Ham Radio

Posts: 5342 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 21, 2012 07:04      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great pics (if rather large), MoMan! Thanks for posting them! It's so odd to see the sun looking more like a moon (shape-wise).

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3845 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted May 21, 2012 09:47      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fantastic! Great shots MoMan!

You and I were out of the path for the "Ring of Fire" annular eclipse, but most everyone in western North America could see the Moon take a chunk out of the Sun.

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2014 Geek Culture® All Rights Reserved.