homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Observations of the old man

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Observations of the old man
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 10, 2011 10:07      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Observations of the old man

This occurred in less than ten seconds much less. Our cat muffin was strolling between the Motor home and the Barn a gap of about fifteen feet. A barn Swallow was bug flying about 30 inches altitude in the opposite direction. The Cat must have been thinking "look at that a flying lunch," and jumped up to snag the Barn Swallow, whom avoided capture then went into a steep climb, let out the loudest squawk I have ever heard a small bird make. Did a hammerhead stall and dive bombed the cat, quickly followed by four or five others. At this point the cat ran for cover.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted December 10, 2011 12:15      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[thumbsup]
Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 10, 2011 14:37      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When you figure that swallows feed by catching insects in the air, they are Top-Guns. Maverick eat your heart out you are being out flown.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 14, 2011 22:34      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lesson: don't mess with birds. They have sharp things on their faces and feet. And they fly. Yikes.

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 20, 2011 14:59      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Observation from two nights ago. We have an eight year old Siberian, named Cocoa. This a pound hound and a good one at that.

Well she, like her brethren likes to kill rodents, Mice, Rats, Moles, Opossum, and of course Skunks. At first she would turn tail when sprayed, after a few good scrubbings and baths she changed and now makes the bath worthwhile.

However two nights ago she found an opossum, She attacked like always porpoise type dive with front paws landing on target. then grabbing the neck and shaking, I mean violent shaking, this time followed by body slamming the rodent on the ground many times. I have seen road kill that did not look as bad as that opossum, that poor critter lost fur and blood. However next morning it was gone, I had expected to have to put it in the garbage in the morning.

From reading, I know that opossum go into Cardiac Arrest during an attack but I really thought that this was way more than a Coma. I thought that this was not going to be Playing Opossum.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted December 20, 2011 16:12      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
More observations:
Put some bird seed out on a small table for the birds, since I noticed they had cleaned up everything from a day or so ago.

Last night, I heard a crash outside, near bird feeder and table. Too dark to see anything.

This morning, I see the table with bird feeder on it are overturned. Every seed gone.

Deduction: raccoons have found the seeds!

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 20, 2011 17:46      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snaggy, I have video of a raccoon taking the lid off of a bird feeder reaching in grabbing a paw full of seeds and eating. This raccoon was not bothered by the five hundred watt lamp I lit so the video camera would capture and auto focus.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 21, 2011 00:57      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't tried it with raccoons, but a large rubber snake is good for discouraging various other unwelcome wild critters.

Of course, putting one on the bird feeder may be a little self-defeating...

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted December 21, 2011 09:32      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or you could build an obstacle course and see how clever the raccoons are. They may not be quite as much fun as squirrels, but I'm sure they'd still be entertaining.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 21, 2011 10:29      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Squirrels are very motivated by free food, my brother used to have a running battle over the bird feeder.

His last effort was to hang the feeder between two posts with garage door counter balance wire. That led to cutting an old garden hose into small chunks and threading the wire through the hose pieces. Then as the squirrel navigated the wire the hose could spin, and drop said squirrel to the ground.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 22, 2011 17:33      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could try this...
 -

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted December 22, 2011 21:38      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
that's nasty! [Mad]

lol!

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture