homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Is this an OH POOP MOMENT? Myth Busters BooBoo

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is this an OH POOP MOMENT? Myth Busters BooBoo
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 07, 2011 11:57      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Myth Busters BooBoo.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 07, 2011 13:24      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nowher in the article does it say how far the cannon ball travelled before it hit the house. How close are these houses to the bomb range? I thought that is why they did these things at bomb ranges, just in case something goes wrong.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 07, 2011 13:43      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The article does give some distances -- just not total travel. It bounced 700 feet in front of the home, traveled through the home, and an additional "several hundred" feet before a minivan's dashboard caught it. So it sounds like it went > 300 meters.

Usually they do that kind of stuff down at the old airfield on the waterfront. I didn't think there was anything within striking distance of that.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 07, 2011 14:54      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One report I read stated in-excess of two miles.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 07, 2011 16:46      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad it wasn't my house! or my minivan as they had gotten out of it only 5 minutes before according to some reports.

Seems very odd that the bomb range is so close to houses. What if there were biological elements in something the police blew up?

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 07, 2011 20:20      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aditu:
Glad it wasn't my house! or my minivan as they had gotten out of it only 5 minutes before according to some reports.

Seems very odd that the bomb range is so close to houses. What if there were biological elements in something the police blew up?

Or even more probable, nasty heavy metals and other unknown exotics* regularly atomized by explosions and sent off in the wind for people closeby to breath in on a regular basis or plant the vegitable gardens in.

*even though I am a chemist I have no idea what compounds would be produced by chemical explosions and if they would be genotoxic or not, I am just guessing that such enegetic reactions could really produce compounds that our bodies are not used to or know how to get rid of.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture