homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Calling all soup recipes

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Calling all soup recipes
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 16, 2011 12:20      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is wet, grey and cold today. So I'm in the mood for soup. Any recipes people might want to share. I made quick meatball soup last night, but I'm looking for some new ideas.
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted September 16, 2011 13:47      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've made Italian wedding soup using this recipe a couple of times and it's quite good, though I have to admit that making dozens of tiny little meatballs is annoying and time-consuming. I also used orzo pasta rather than shells, but that's just because I like the texture of orzo in soups.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 16, 2011 14:56      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have no idea where I got these recipes. However, I did not invent them so I don't get the credit.

CORN SOUP:

Chop up two mid-size carrots, two stalks of celery, and one large onion.

In a >2 qt. pan:

Saute the vegetables in olive oil until onions are clearish.

Add:
6 cups broth (I use vegetable broth 'cuz I'm a vegetarian)
1 lb. frozen sweet corn kernels
1 tsp. rosemary
1/4 tsp. cayenne
salt and pepper to taste

Simmer until it is flavorful (20 minutes?).

Blend.

Eat. This is especially yummy with fresh bread.

SQUASH SOUP:

Eviscerate, peel, and dice a 2 lb. butternut squash. Do not roast it first. Use a good sharp knife and show no fear. It's only a squash, after all.

Chop up the white of 1 leek. Mince 2 cloves of garlic. Dice up one celery stalk. Chop up the whites of one bundle of green onions.

In > 2 qt. pan:
Melt 2 Tbs. of butter and saute the leek, garlic, green onions, and celery until soft.

Add some salt and 1 tsp. garam masala. Cook another minute.

Add 6 cups vegetable broth, 3 Tbs. apple cider, and the squash. Simmer until squash is soft (~20 minutes).

Blend. Put back in pan. Add 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt (kefir will also work...in my house, at least, we always seem to have one or the other on hand). Mix it up, taste, and start adding lime juice. I have no idea how much lime juice - I just squirt some in, taste, and repeat until the flavor perks and the soup becomes fantastically delicious. Add salt if you need/want to.

Both of these soups are even better if you have some fresh bread on the side.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 16, 2011 15:19      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can not find a decent link and am too lazy to type, but here is a badly formatted version: pea and garlic

basically, roast some garlic and blend with frozen peas and stock. it is really good, although I always get it wrong and end up with a (very tasty) puree instead. it is from Nigella Lawson via Nigel Slater.

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 17, 2011 12:53      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They sound yummy. Thanks so much!
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 22, 2011 11:17      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Had what it took for corn soup in the house. It turned out great. Dinner for the weekend will be to try some more

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture