homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Dollyrots Fundraiser

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dollyrots Fundraiser
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted September 14, 2011 18:18      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some of you may remember me posting about a group called The Dollyrots. They're a bubblegum punk sort of band with songs like Kick Me to the Curb, Rollercoaster, Brand New Key, and Because I'm Awesome.

If you're not familiar with them, click a few links and have a listen.

The rest of this will be of no interest to anyone who doesn't care for them, so those folks can feel free to move on to the next topic.

In their own words:
We’re ready to record a 4th studio album and need the support of our fans! This time we’re doing it completely on our own -WITHOUT a label- so we’ll be relying on our amazing fans to pledge their support (along with what we’ve saved up) to be able to record. Check out our Kickstarter Page to read about the new album and see the rewards we’ve put together for our backers…they include an album pre-order, autographed stuff, personalized songs, and some unique and crazy ways we’re going to show our appreciation for your pledge. We only have 30 days from today to reach our goal so hop to it! We know we have the greatest fans in the world so THANK YOU in advance!

The project was fully funded in less than 12 hours (hooray for having rabid fans) and is closing in on twice what they asked for, so they don't necessarily need more funding. More donations will reduce how much of the album they have to finance out of their personal savings, however, and they have some fairly neat stuff available and will be coming up with some more things to add as well.

And yes, this post is sort of spam-ish, but The Dollyrots are one of my favorite bands so I want to help them spread the word a little (in addition to donating enough to get the most ridiculous thing they offered to their backers, that is). If you're offended, click here and I'm sure you'll feel better.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 14, 2011 20:02      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dont know the band, and can't listen to any of the samples here, but....

I just LOVE to see independent artists taking an axe to the rotting corpse that is the major label business model.

Hope many more bands do the same. [Applause]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 14, 2011 21:31      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Props to them for tapping into their fan base with modern tech to cut out the middlemen who would ordinarily bleed them dry. That's a /lot/ more effective than selling t-shirts. [Big Grin]

Also of note to me is that they /only/ need $7500 to produce their album. I thought this was supposed to be something _massively_ expensive that only big labels could do. [Razz] I suspect this is a big 'yay' for technology as well. [Big Grin]

While I'm sure that figure /could/ have been financed by loading up some credit cards...if they don't have to, all the more power to them!

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted September 15, 2011 13:08      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome! I love kickstarter and the Dollyrots.

only 2k and they will record a song I wrote? TEMPTING!

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted September 15, 2011 19:07      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm very fond of the idea of fans directly supporting artists (Remember this post?), so it makes sense that I would think The Dollyrots funding their own album via Kickstarter was a great thing. I was still amazed when they reached their goal in less than 12 hours, though, and how much has been pledged beyond that. It makes me happy to know that there are others out there who feel the same way.

Then again, it's possible that everyone just wanted to see if Kelly would shave her head bald trying to fulfill all the goodie box pledges.

dragonman97 wrote:
Also of note to me is that they /only/ need $7500 to produce their album. I thought this was supposed to be something _massively_ expensive that only big labels could do. [Razz] I suspect this is a big 'yay' for technology as well. [Big Grin]

The goal they set isn't actually for the full cost of recording an album. Their original goal was to fund about half the album from their savings and half from fans. Thanks to a lot of rabid fans, it seems that they will get to keep some of their savings for a rainy day (or the next album).

Technology has reduced the cost of recording, but studio time and sound engineers will always be expensive. If you were skilled at mixing and mastering, you could reduce the cost quite a bit but buying studio time is still expensive and building your own studio is even more so.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 16, 2011 00:46      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even so, if it takes $15k to record/produce an album, that's a huge step forward.

While that isn't chump change, I think that's a figure that could get many other bands to follow The Dollyrots' lead...and that would be a very good thing. After all the sh*t the labels & the RIAA have pulled, I think more artists saying 'no' to their thuggery is important - be it The Dailyrots, Radiohead, or Amanda Palmer. (I'd love to be surprised by someone else, too!)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 16, 2011 02:50      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
I thought this was supposed to be something _massively_ expensive that only big labels could do. [Razz] I suspect this is a big 'yay' for technology as well. [Big Grin]

A friend of my brothers does editing for TV here in oz. In the analog days, the tools of his trade cost over $200k, these days he uses a Mac Pro and a few $k worth of extras.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted September 16, 2011 07:15      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dragonman97:
I think more artists saying 'no' to their thuggery is important - be it The Dailyrots, Radiohead, or Amanda Palmer. (I'd love to be surprised by someone else, too!)

Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails has dumped his label too and has been encouraging other musicians to dump their labels as well.

There's also a fairly obscure band called The Bastard Faeries who also ditched the labels and are making their own way. They ditched twitter, facebook and myspace, too, which is sort of odd.

I'm sure there are others, too, but those are the ones I know off the top of my head.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted October 05, 2011 23:14      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a short update as the deadline approaches on the Dollyrots' fundraiser.

Thanks to several hundred dedicated fans backing them and half a dozen backers who pledged the "We'll perform & record ANY of our songs acoustically" level, the Dollyrots' album has become a double album. In addition to the studio album, there will be a second acoustic album included in what they produce.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture